Dodge Journey reliability

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly.

I'd like to do this for the Journey, but this will depend on how quickly owners join up and participate.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks. Just enter -1 in the odometer readings on the survey until the month after you get it. (The main survey always covers the previous month.)

The follow-up email goes out today, and this is the last time this month I'll include new members in the survey.

7 owners have signed up so far. If a few more could be included in this survey, that would make a full result in August more likely.

Vehicle reliability research

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to the help of this forum's members, the latest results include the 2009 Dodge Journey.

So far the repair rate has been moderately high, about 109 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year.

Next update in February. Additional participants would certainly be helpful.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the help of this forum's members, we have updated results for the 2009 Dodge Journey.

The repair rate has increased, and is now 138 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. Additional participants would certainly be helpful.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Dodge Journey:

Dodge Journey reliability comparisons

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Journey scored 128, which is well above the average.

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. Additional participants always helpful.

• 3 months later...

Thanks, I truly appreciate your help.

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Journey scored 105, which is better but still worse than the average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. Additional participants always helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, I certainly appreciate it.

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Journey scored 95, which is better than earlier but still worse than the average.

We'll have further updates in February and May. Additional participants always helpful.