it says 26.5 avg but I know I am getting much better then that!

Billy Billy

So I took the journey for a country ride today, ha I went for a journey in my journey ! I do like to watch my MPG's as that is very important to me with gas prices not being 1 dollar a gallon lol!

My Journey SE has the 2.4 L4 with the 4 Speed auto and according to the info dig screen in my journey, it is getting a combined avg of 26.5 but I feel like it could be a bit more high a few reasons I believe it is getting better MPG is , 1- today I left Hagerstown MD with a tank full of gas. i traveled west on interstate 70 from MD into PA where I turn off in some small town that I-70 dumps into ( you need to turn right to get back on I-70) I turn left and ended up going on rt 30 in pa going though some cities and I ended up seeing signs for Cumberland Maryland and though hell bells lets go for it and I journey on some back roads that twisted and turn till I ended up in Cumberland Maryland where I took I-68 in Maryland back to I-70 in Maryland back to Hagerstown MD.

I used about 4/10 of a full tank of gas . I love the ride and how the journey handles on roads and how comfortable the ride is but the 2.4 is the star to me and a forgotten little hero! The engine which is from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Engine_Allianceis also used in the Hyundai sonata which I had one a 2007 that had 178k miles when I traded it in for my dodge avenger

The other reason, I think the engine MPG is underated is , the 2.4 in my Hyundai was like a Timex watch but also very fuel efficient , it took a hell of a beating with all those miles I put on it but it also got great MPG's and as far as the reliability , it was still running great when I traded it in. I just wanted something more nicer looking. I am sure I would had got another 100k miles out of that engine . I also took great care of my car, did a oil change every 6k miles , flush the transmission fluid at 110k miles, kept all the fluids filled and checked. The 2,4 always always netted me 30 to 33 on the highway so I do believe the 2.4 in the journey has a higher MPG then it is rated @ BY DODGE!

post-11934-0-12569900-1443923659_thumb.j

Have the same engine in my 2009. @130,000 miles and she still runs and rides like new . Very comfortable ride and the little 2.4 just purrs away . Getting around 26 avg combined miles , I live out in the sticks so most of my trips even to a grocery store is 15 miles of open road.

Very impressed with this little suv and the 2.4 world engine.

Unless you reset the MPG value before leaving you need to consider that it is averaged over a much longer period, so if it reads low, that is because it was previously lower and likely came up a bit.

Then, of course there's the fact that the usage is calculated, rather than measured - this isn't exactly a lab grade instrument. The only way to more accurately KNOW your fuel economy over a fixed course is to fill the tank up to the very top, drive the course noting the distance travelled and then refilling to the same point at the end and using a calculator to figure out your MPG - and even then you are going to be subject to inaccuracies in the gas station's pump (especially if it is one of those bullsh*t ones that adjusts for temperature variations), the accuracy of the odometer and the actual level to which you fill, but it will be close - then compare it to the reading in the vehicle - I suspect it will be close, but not exactly the same.

Edited by bramfrank

I keep my center cluster on MPGs, and reset it every time I fill it. I was on the loop around Columbus, going 73 and it was reading 35.6 or 36.5: i don't remember. This with the V6 and less than 1,000 miles on the odometer! So, I'm a happy camper. I get around 18 in town.

I know that very intersection that you are talking about. You have to get off of I70, go a few blocks through town - nice truck stop there - and get back on 70. Very weird.

Edited by dhh3

I have found that resetting the mpg before you start out on a specific trip is the way to go. The long term average values are not

indicative of maximum highway mpg.

If I ever get the chance to meet some of these so called experts that trash the 2.4L/4 speed auto I will probably need bail money.

The most important thing in owning the 2.4 is understanding that the quicker you accelerate to speeds 40 mph and up, the better it

performs.

It's no dog if you get up into it's designed rpm range (3000-6000) while accelerating. If you lug it and aren't willing to give it a little

rein under 3000 it can be a dismal performer.

And actually the 4 speed transaxle with lockup converter is a good match with the 3.27 gear ratio. A multi speed transaxle would be

hunting continuously for the right gear.

Once the computer learned how to read my fat right foot (about 1000 mi.) It has been all good.

I use the auto stick feature in hilly and mountainous driving. It works flawlessly.

Enjoy your ride.

Edited by RetiredChief

• 5 years later...

It’s crazy how good the 4cyl mpg can be. I’m currently getting anywhere from 24.2 to 27.3 mpg in mixed driving with hills and stop and go! I think dodge just phoned in the mpg ratings on the 4 cylinder since they thought everyone would just buy the v6.