About a month ago, my 2010 journeys front passenger door quit wanting to latch closed.. I would have to work the handle, and try opening/closing the door 5 or 6 times before it would close. Also at the same time, the unlock/lock button didn't always work correctly on that door. Then last week, the outside handle quit working, but I could open the for with the inside handle.. now today, both handles quit working, leaving my wife to crawl across to the drivers side.. I've been searching this forum, and others, and can't find anything on this problem.. any ideas out there?

Nothing outside of ordinary daily use.. it just started as the door would not latch closed.. I would have to get out and open and close the door with the outside handle about four our five times before it would latch. Does anyone know how I could get the door open.. I'd like to tear into It, but I can't open the door at all now

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem here in UK but on my driver side (RHD)...so I have to crawl from my left passenger side...when my DJ had its warranty last 2012 FCA replaced it but did not informed me why it got stuck though they have replaced the defective latch and after more than 4 yrs, 3 month and 2 weeks, the same fault surfaced anew and I tried to convince FCA that the latch installed were defective again and able to trace the service history done in 2012 and the door latch indeed was replaced under warranty. I've reset the battery terminal once and it works, but this time the magic did not work at all. But since FCA cannot help me anymore to sort out the problem, Even the dealership cannot guarantee me they can open the door easily and might have to break the door and ask me to pay for diagnosis, door removal and repair. I have to DIY it myself after so many video and forum searches. I've ordered the replacement which unfortunately is through MOPAR authorized dealer only and the part number is not available for LHD country. 

And guess what.. I just use a metal clothes hanger to open the door......and it works without much fuzz...but as I'm waiting for the replacement parts to arrive the fault keeps returning.

And yesterday I have it replaced my self...

Below is the defective door latch if you notice the space just under the pink clip and spring and the bottom part with the 2 square hole. I suspect moist or water is penetrating that area the reason why the latch got stuck even if its unlock already from the outside (same problem I've read in Dodge Nitro Forums)

The replacement door latch this times comes with those spaces and 2 holes below fully sealed. thereby reducing the cause of fault (hopefully). 

IMG_1282.JPG