mgp0214

Stereo stays on... Vehicle off, doors open

2011 Dodge Journey SE - Base model no NAV, small display stereo (roughly 2.5" x 3")

First of all, this is my first time using a forum, if this has been asked already I'm sorry.

So my problem is that when I turn the vehicle off and open the drivers door, the stereo stays on and continues to play sound through the speakers. None of the stereo controls work once the vehicle is turned off. I haven't timed it to see how long it takes to turn off, but I know it is longer than 5 minutes.

I have attempted to repair it by disconnecting the battery to the vehicle for 5 minutes. That didn't fix the problem. I had it at the dealership last week and they said it need a 30 minute flash for the stereo but that didn't solve the issue either. (That repair was $70) I just dropped it off at the dealership again for this issue. Hopefully they can find out what is going on, but I was hoping that someone else has had this issue and could help me with what they did to fix the issue.

On a side note: My key fob panic button hasn't worked for about 3 1/2 years now. I purchased this vehicle brand new, I have both the fobs it came with, the lock/unlock buttons work just fine. I've replaced the batteries on both fobs and it still doesn't work. I had it at the dealership about 3 years ago and they said the fob is delivering an RF signal when the panic button is pressed but something on the vehicle isn't receiving it. The service writer was supposed to contact their engineering department and get back to me... that never happened. So if anyone has had this issue please let me know what the fix was, so I could get it taken care of while the vehicle is at the dealership.

Thanks,

Steven

While I don't have this problem, I know my stereo will play until the driver's door is opened. In addition to the stereo, I would have the service folks look at the door. Maybe the door switch is defective. Does your dome lighting work when you open the door? Have you tried opening the passenger door after shutoff, what happens then? Good Luck. Keep up posted as to how this goes.

Peace.

There is a setting that you can adjust the amount of time the stereo stays on.

Check that out in the settings menu on the radio.

There is a setting that you can adjust the amount of time the stereo stays on.

Check that out in the settings menu on the radio.

Right, but it should shut off no matter what, once the door opens. I like redtomatoman's idea about a possible faulty switch in the door.

What else stays on besides the radio? When you brought it in for the panic issue and was documented while still under warranty it should be fixed for free. Not sure why you waited 3 years to address this issue.

Just an update, I am having this same issue with my DJ.

I had brought it to the dealership and they quoted me a $350-$400 fix. It's a faulty module in the wiring harness that causes the radio to not know if the car is running or not. The reason why it stays on for "x" amount of time is because the DJ takes "x" amount of time to completely shut off power to the vehicle even when it's turned off. 

I will follow up with the name of the actual issue once I get the report back from the dealership, it should be finished later this week. Unfortunately because I was unable to find any DIY fix for this I had to pay the bill, seems really expensive in my opinion.  

Hello,

I herd back from the dealer, they are saying it’s a faulty HVAC/Radio switch bank. I have never herd of this before. Maybe someone can help shed some light on what it is or where it’s located.

They quoted me what I think is too expensive, I’m going to try and source the part and then do the repair myself. 

I attached the image from the dealer report.

D07C3BC5-2C14-4F10-A86E-87FF04F2E783.jpeg

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I have had something similar to this happen. When my phone was connected to Uconnect via Bluetooth playing audio, the radio wouldn't turn off even when the car was off. I had to toggle airplane mode to get it to turn off. Not saying this is what is happening, but something to keep an eye on.