Journey not starting

llw2234

Has anyone had any problems starting their Journey? I got in my Journey one day and it just wouldn't start....nothing when I would turn the key. Took it in to the dealer and they say it is the wireless control module which needs to be replaced. They still have my journey and are waiting on the part to come in. Anyone else ever have a problem like this???

Has anyone had any problems starting their Journey? I got in my Journey one day and it just wouldn't start....nothing when I would turn the key. Took it in to the dealer and they say it is the wireless control module which needs to be replaced. They still have my journey and are waiting on the part to come in. Anyone else ever have a problem like this???

I had the same issue, turned the key and nothing, my lights worked, radio worked but nothing happened when I turned the key. I jumped it and it started, but did it again a week later. Turned out to be the WIN module, they replaced it and reprogrammed my keys and it never happened again.

• 1 month later...

We just had the "no start" problem this week. Got in it in the morning and nothing, so I thought could it be a dead battery? I jumped it and started, removed the cables and it started repetedly with no problem, so it couldn't be the battery right? Waited 15 mins or so and again it would not start.Took it in and they replaced the battery. Now it's doing some other weird things like the AM radion stations work then don't. This thing had been nothing but trouble...

We just had the "no start" problem this week. Got in it in the morning and nothing, so I thought could it be a dead battery? I jumped it and started, removed the cables and it started repetedly with no problem, so it couldn't be the battery right? Waited 15 mins or so and again it would not start.Took it in and they replaced the battery. Now it's doing some other weird things like the AM radion stations work then don't. This thing had been nothing but trouble...

It's the shifter, the only way to start it is in park. There is a switch that must engage in order to start. mine started to do this a month after I got it, we even called roadside for a boost. A month later it wouldn't start again(only a click) so I jiggled the shifter and voila she started. Its got worse and more often so I am taking her in on friday. I'll keep you informed.

• 4 weeks later...
It's the shifter, the only way to start it is in park. There is a switch that must engage in order to start. mine started to do this a month after I got it, we even called roadside for a boost. A month later it wouldn't start again(only a click) so I jiggled the shifter and voila she started. Its got worse and more often so I am taking her in on friday. I'll keep you informed.

Something i want to point out about your above statement, as to not confuse the noobies here, stating something as fact, like you did above, may not be the best thing to do...some people can take it as truth even and might ahve the dealer corect it, only to ahve the problem return.

Just remember, that similar problems can have completly different solutions, especailly when it has to do with the WIN or security modules.

Here is another example of what could be the cause as stated by other:

The swithc in the shifter, the break pedal switch and the WIN mod (or CAS as we call it) all are intertwined with each other. Even though it may seem like it is a problem with one, it could be the other.

A new WIN module would be the most logical fix your problem.....as that has been the consitant fix for the problem, as well as there being a TSB out specificly for this problem.

The vast majority of problems are indeed the WIN module as per TSB. But it does not hurt to be through and have the dealer check out both possible solutions of the win and the shifter.

• 1 month later...
Something i want to point out about your above statement, as to not confuse the noobies here, stating something as fact, like you did above, may not be the best thing to do...some people can take it as truth even and might ahve the dealer corect it, only to ahve the problem return.

Just remember, that similar problems can have completly different solutions, especailly when it has to do with the WIN or security modules.

The swithc in the shifter, the break pedal switch and the WIN mod (or CAS as we call it) all are intertwined with each other. Even though it may seem like it is a problem with one, it could be the other.

A new WIN module would be the most logical fix your problem.....as that has been the consitant fix for the problem, as well as there being a TSB out specificly for this problem.

The vast majority of problems are indeed the WIN module as per TSB. But it does not hurt to be through and have the dealer check out both possible solutions of the win and the shifter.

This is excellent advice. It is very difficult to diagnose a problem over the internet. Without physically inspecting the problem we are only providing and educated GUESS from previous expierence.

In a nutshell this is excellent advice. Trying to diagnose a problem over the internet is difficult and can lead you in the wrong way. Without physically inspecting the problem we are GUESSING with previous expierence.

• 2 weeks later...
This is excellent advice. It is very difficult to diagnose a problem over the internet. Without physically inspecting the problem we are only providing and educated GUESS from previous expierence.

In a nutshell this is excellent advice. Trying to diagnose a problem over the internet is difficult and can lead you in the wrong way. Without physically inspecting the problem we are GUESSING with previous expierence.

Yep, good advice indeed. I informed the service writer of the WIN module TSB and we both figured that is why my Journey wouldn't start. Turns out in reality, a wire had rubbed on the body and caused a short circuit, so ya never know...

The same thing happened to us while we were away. I tried to start it and just got a click like the battery was dead. We called roadside and gave a us a boost and worked great for about a week. The truck had less than 12000km. Every other week it would do the same but I wiggled the shifter back and forth and it would start. As the summer passed it got more frequent and we took it into the dealer and the guy diagnosed it as the starter. they replaced it and it hasn't happened since. been 2 months.

• 1 year later...

Yea, but for those of us that are clueless it really helps to have a general idea, otherwise you risk going into the dealer and getting reemed. I can't afford to have everything fixed they think needs fixing. Sometimes you need to know what you are listening for, so please don't stop!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had to pay for the WIN module to be replaced out of warranty? I think mine may be getting flaky and we are out of warranty and am curious to know what I am looking at cost wise.

Is this something that I could replace or is there more to it than just part swapping?

• 5 years later...

This is happening to my 09 Journey. It appears to be connected to the remote starter - tried to remote start the car, it clicks once and doesn't start the car. Get in and try to start it manually - doesn't turn over (just "clicks").

Everything else operates normally - radio, lights, windows, locks. Just can't start it. Time, for some reason, does cause it to reset - but only after about a dozen or more attempts at starting.

I wasn't aware of the shifter/brake issue, but I did note a comment from a gentleman at the local O'Reilly's who said it appeared the hood wasn't completely closed - something that could also cause the remote start to not work.

I may take this in to the local Dodge dealer on Tuesday/Wednesday and tell them to check the WIN module.