Rear Bumper Pad Protector

Now that it's been a year, how do these things hold up? Was the extra tape necessary?

I've had mine installed for just over a year now and it looks great. I can say that it has saved my bumper from a scratch and gouge or two, so I think it was worth the money. Sometimes just after I wash it, it does appear a bit dull; and no I've never applied any Amour All or other type of protectant.

Hope this helps and Happy Motoring....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I put mine on today. Instructions could have been a little clearer, especially about those 4 push pins; took me a while to figure out they didn't mean screws (I use plyers for pins, and screwdrivers for screws). Heated up the adhesive with a heat gun before appllication, and blew some heat over the edges before final seating. Maybe that'll cause the car to explode, but the bumper will look nice, LOL!!!

Acebass

Edited by acebass

Today I installed the rear bumper protector.

It's amazing that this costs so much, when I had my "05 black Convertible PT Cruiser, I had one put on it an it probably only cost me $50 installed by my dealer. I realize they are different cars, But Seriously!!

Terry

• 4 months later...

Anyone know where to buy the bumper protectors in Canada?

The only place I knew that ever sold them was AutoXclusive out of Arizona; they were a bit pricey but mine has held up great for almost two years now. I visited their website today, but it seems to be not working, so I don't know if they are still in business or not; there was an 800 number to call (I didn't try it). So I don't know why you couldn't order from them (I know it's easier in Canada), but from what I remember from my experience with them they were great.

Just my two cents worth, and Happy Motoring...

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting tired of my rear bumper getting scratched by cargo. It looks like this bumper protector is still available on ebay, but it says it fits model years up to 2010 and the part for 2011 and 2012 models hasn't been produced yet. Does anyone know if this thing really won't fit a 2011 or 2012 model? I know they changed the lower facia, but the top of the bumper looks exactly the same to me. Has anyone tried one on a 2011 or 2012 or know of a reason why it wouldn't work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-BUMPER-PROTECTOR-STEP-BLACK-Dodge-JOURNEY-08-09-10-/251054216576?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a73ff5580&vxp=mtr

• 1 month later...

I like this idea. Looks good and does the job for what, a 5th of the price of OEM? Heading out to see if CanTire has one available. Thanks.

If you have no luck at Cantire you can goto Action Car & Truck

I know for a fact they carry it,it's made by PowerFlow.

http://www.actiontrucks.com/locations_retail.php

Heading out to see if CanTire has one available. Thanks.

I picked up one yesterday at Canadian Tire and will install it later today when it cools off a little. I will take some photos and report on it when I do it. I looked at it and it seems to fit fine.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

What are the dimensions on the generic bumper cover? There's lots of cheap generic brand covers out there...just need to know the dimensions that will work. Does the PowerFlow one bend or arc at all or is it perfectly flat?

The Powerflow has a graceful arc to it and if you dry fit it you will find

it covers the OEM moulding quite well and it is flexible.

Your absolutely right it doesn't cover the edge lip.

There are a few on existing Chrysler products already

in production that can be ordered and modified that

have the lip cover but these are prohibitively priced.

Some are also seemingly availiable from overseas but then

again shipping and the fact that some won't ship to NA.

This suits my needs and was reasonably priced.

Unfortunately the bumper has changed. I have both a 2010 and a 2012 R/T.

Here is a page that has a picture of the rear on the 2012 http://blog.caranddriver.com/2011-dodge-journey-receives-face-lift-pentastar-v6-revised-interior/ - compare to the pic on ebay and you'll notice the bevel is much smaller and less pronounced (it does not sweep around the corner of the car) on the 2012.

Sherwood has stated to me that their German manufacturer should be releasing an updated protector around the end of the summer (just in time for hockey bag season)...