Normal trans temp ,oil ect

k.tron

Hello,

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey 8500 miles. A few weeks ago I was towing a trailer max weight was no more than 1600 lbs . Max tow weight is 2500 lbs. I noticed at my trans temp went up to 263 . The coolant temp gauge under the tac read one line before the H . The oil and coolant were between 245-255 . Pulling up a small hill. When the ground returned to level the temp went down 10 min later. Now on the same road this time not towing the trans temp went to 222. I am not a mechanic but I know this is to high. Any ideas why in a new car .

Thanks in advance

Yes a small mountain for 15 min then there's a 2 mile straight away and another 10 min of hill . But when we went up the same hill Friday my car not towing anything went to 222 . Most of the hill the rpm is between 2-3 a few times at 4 climbing then right back to 2-3. But for a car less than 6 months old. I had a Saturn uve that never got that hot climbing the same hill.

I would definitely have it checked. I drive truck for a living, and one of our Mack's had an issue of always running hot. The water temp would be 220, oil temp at 280, etc. it ended up being an issue with the computer not being calibrated correctly. It was giving thhe instrument cluster the wrong info. I'm wondering if it's possible with your car, especially with the coolant temp reaching one notch belie the red.

Edited by dj cowboy

My Nitro had a tow/haul switch. What it did, was not allow it to shift into OD, and changed the shift points. I believe that the top three gears (maybe 2) are OD in our DJs. So, when towing, try putting it in 5, and see if the temps do not rise. Then try 4, and see what you get. Of course, you mpgs are going to drop, but it may keep the temps where they are supposed to be.

Yes a small mountain for 15 min then there's a 2 mile straight away and another 10 min of hill . But when we went up the same hill Friday my car not towing anything went to 222 . Most of the hill the rpm is between 2-3 a few times at 4 climbing then right back to 2-3. But for a car less than 6 months old. I had a Saturn uve that never got that hot climbing the same hill.

I doubt it the Vue had multiple OD gears. Try the hill in 5 and see what you get.

I noticed at my trans temp went up to 263 . The coolant temp gauge under the tac read one line before the H . The oil and coolant were between 245-255 .

The common denominator here is the coolant temperature. The engine oil cooler uses engine coolant to transfer heat from the oil to the cooling system. The transmission oil cooler is located in front of the radiator in the A/C condenser. If the coolant temperature is too high, it directly affects the temperature of the transmission and engine oils.

We recently took a camping trip with my 2013 Journey with 42,000 miles.Our pop-up camper weighs 1200 lb. dry. We had all of our gear, two bikes, and four people in the car so we were well-loaded. Towing 65 MPH in 90 degree temps with the A/C on, the coolant temp never went over 210 degrees, the tranny stayed under 190 and honestly I don't remember the engine oil temp but it was not high at all. Your cooling system appears to have a restriction, or is airbound, or has a circulation issue. Has any work been done to the car, either mechanically or any collison repair work? Mine was in a major accident late last year and I was curious to see how it would perform after having the radiator, A/C condenser, transmission cooler and all associated hoses and lines replaced. Normal. Have yours checked out when you can.

Edited by Journeyman425

How do you check the transmission temp? It also has no dip stick in my 2010 Journey...very frustrating now that the transmission is clunking when shifting from reverse....completely stopped....to drive. What do I have to do the check the tranny fluid level, smell, colour etc? A quick reply would be great before I spend alot of money on something I know nothing about. The tec could tell me one thing and I would believe it. And how does the manual tranny work? Cant find the information in the manual

"Manual" transmission (Autostick) is part of the PRND+/- switch - move your gear shift all the way down and tap left/right to decrease/increase gear. For 2010, this is if you have it.

Do you have an EVIC? Go to "Vehicle Information" and scroll through - you should have information for coolant temp, oil temp, transmission temp, engine hours, and may also have oil pressure. Otherwise, you need a scan tool.

Fresh ATF+4 is bright red. You have the 62TE transmission. You'll need to provide your own dip stick (one can be made from a coat hangar with the proper measurements). DO NOT leave it in the vehicle or you risk serious damage to your transmission. If you don't know the current temp of your transmission fluid, the dipstick is useless.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/324691-2012-caravan-transmission-fluid-check.html There is some good information on there regarding reading the 62te fluid level, but I can't find the temperature chart anywhere. The fluid levels should be the same for the Journey 62te as it is for the Grand Caravan/Town and Country, but I am not a Chrysler mechanic, so my information is not be taken on blind faith - verify it by another source.

• 2 years later...