clunking noise in front end on bumpy roads

• Official Dodge Support

luckydaddy85,

I recommend bringing your vehicle to an FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis. Please feel free to reach out if you would like assistance in scheduling an appointment. Either way, be sure to keep us posted!

• 4 months later...

Mine clunks every time I leave the garage for the first time. Ten, all is quiet. Dealer looked at it - no issue!

First time we had it in for this, they just greased the hell out of the stabilizer bar bushings and said it was fixed. This lasted about a week then it started again. I wrote about this in another thread, but I printed out the TSB and had it with me when we took it back in, I showed it to my service adviser, who promptly informed me "we have access to all these TSB's"....needless to say, this time they replaced the parts. I'm sure their first line of defense is to "mask" the issue and "hope" it fixes it before resorting to replacing parts at their cost. I'm onto them, so I know the game...I don't mind playing....it's kinda like bartering at a fleamarket....HA!!! :yup:

Is there a link to the current TSBs? I'm aware only of the TSB for the cold-start idler pulley noise on 3.6L's. My suspension squeaks a lot when the car has been sitting for a few hours or more, and *might* clunk. I say might, because I live in Michigan... where lawmakers are unconcerned with our roads falling apart and bridges opening up weekly.

I'm curious what other TSBs there might be. Google search isn't turning up the idler pulley or anything with the suspension...

Is there a link to the current TSBs? I'm aware only of the TSB for the cold-start idler pulley noise on 3.6L's. My suspension squeaks a lot when the car has been sitting for a few hours or more, and *might* clunk. I say might, because I live in Michigan... where lawmakers are unconcerned with our roads falling apart and bridges opening up weekly.

I'm curious what other TSBs there might be. Google search isn't turning up the idler pulley or anything with the suspension...

It's in a thread on here somewhere. You gotta search yourself.

All that turns up (difficult to search with 4-character minimums) is something for 2012 calendar year builds. Mine was built February 10th, 2014. I'll have to have them diagnose it and reference the TSB anyway, as well as have them do the idler pulley TSB. Was hoping to do that while it was for the ABS moisture recall.

• Official Dodge Support

I believe TSB 02-001-13 is what jkeaton is referring to. I have it pasted below. Unfortunately, it does not apply to 2015 model year DJ's. Either way, with your vehicle still being under warranty, I'd recommend a trip to the dealership to have your concerns diagnosed.

SUBJECT: Noise From Front Of Vehicle Over Bumps Or When Turning

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the upper front strut bearing to correct the noise.

MODELS: 2012-2013 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between December 01, 2011 (MDH 1201XX) and December 05, 2012 (MDH 1205XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may experience a noise from the front upper strut mount going over bumps or when turning.

Edited by DodgeCares

• 2 weeks later...

I started a thread a while back about the issue we're having with my wifes 2014 R/T. Sounds like the same issue you're having. We've been in and out of dealers 4X with little success. With the help of DodgeCares (who's been awesome), we've had the LH strut, isolator, LH control arm and sway bar bushings replaced. It didn't fix the problem. The only thing that slightly worked was having the isolators greased like crazy, even then it only worked for about a week.

It has gotten better but it still sounds like there's a bucket of marbles when we pull into the driveway and when the car hits certain bumps - the problem is it's not something I can force to happen. It's disheartening because she's got 33k miles on her car (started around 12k) so we're almost out of warranty. We've also heard it on 3 of the rentals we've had, so I don't think it's an isolated issue.

Here's my thread if you want to see it... http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/6440-front-end-clunk-while-braking-over-bumps/

• Official Dodge Support

I think jkeaton is right on the money with this. First, I would do as jkeaton says and take a ride with a service advisor in order to specifically demonstrate your concern to them. If you still have issues after this, I would try another dealership. Unfortunately, if a dealership really can't duplicate what you're experiencing they won't be able to diagnose or repair your vehicle.

Edited by jkeaton

DodgeCares, on 09 Dec 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

I think jkeaton is right on the money with this. First, I would do as jkeaton says and take a ride with a service advisor in order to specifically demonstrate your concern to them. If you still have issues after this, I would try another dealership. Unfortunately, if a dealership really can't duplicate what you're experiencing they won't be able to diagnose or repair your vehicle.

I'll probably bring it to the dealer local to me instead of the one I bought it from.

Edited by jkeaton

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue, the clunk, squeak noise over small bumps, turning, etc. Dealer has replaced the struts and isolators as a start. Didn't help. They had our journey for four days, and can't pinpoint anything. The rental we have is a 16 journey, same issue, and only 7000 miles on it. Dealer took a used journey and a new 15 off lot, and both are doing the same thing. Has anyone found a solution to this? Dealer says everything is really tight underneath, but obviously SOMETHING isn't right....