Will a twin mattress fit inside?

bfurth

Pretty self explanatory - will a standard twin mattress and box spring (39x74) fit with the rear seats folded down? I know the floor dimensions of the rear are 42x75, but how's the clearance 8 inches up? I don't have cross bars, so I'm not putting it on the roof. I could take my van, but I'd rather drive the Journey! I could also take my son's mattress and throw it in the back, but that requires hauling a mattress down two flights of stairs, and I really don't feel like doing it (especially if someone else can tell me they have successfully carried a twin mattress set).

Edit: measurements are in inches - leave your metric nonsense north of the border where it belongs!

Edited by bfurth

I measured the distance from the back of the front passenger seat to the edge of the scissor jack compartment and got 75". Considering that a standard twin is 74", and I've got some room to move the seats forward if I really need to, I'll assume that it ought to fit at this point.

This is of course assuming my grandmother didn't buy a Twin XL mattress (80") just to mess with me. This is the only problem of having the largest vehicles in the entire local extended family...

At least the T&C has a load line imprinted on the door sill on the rear hatch. Anything loaded to that point and at least 26" up from the bottom will clear the door and glass.

• 1 year later...