Dealer visit for a few issues

jkeaton

Coming up on 36000 miles so we went ahead and made an appointment to get the car checked out, tell them about the front end clunks, transmission clunks and the clock running fast.They kept it a day and said the radio needed a part (Radio/Telematics Gateway Module) and the front end noise was from dry away bar bushings, so the lubricated the bushings. They had to order the part for the radio so we got the car back until the part came in. On the transmission, they said they could find no problem. There were no software updates, the fluid was fine and what we are experiencing is "normal operation". OK, I don't have a problem with that and the fact they found nothing mechanically wrong means I'm not worrying about it anymore. On the way home, we had to go to a mall with some speed bumps, clunk was still there....lol...I kinda new it would be. Anyway, they got the part for the clock/radio in so we took it back. This time I took that service bulletin in and showed it to them (the one posted somewhere on here about front end clunks where they say to replace the struts and strut mounts), The service adviser said they had access to all those bulletins and I said, well did you check it out? So they kept it another day and low and behold, they found the problem. So, now we have new struts and strut mounts. 4 wheel alignment included, all at no charge. The clunking is GONE!!! I'll update if the clock slows down.

Edited by jkeaton

Jkeation will they do this free without warranty? I have the 2013 Journey with 45k miles already. i noticed that sound whenever I hit the brakes turning to a street with a dip. I thought that was normal now I know its not.

On the TSB for the clunk, what years does it cover? I have a plastic trough that collects water, running across my whole garage door. There is a dip, so the water runs in. My DJ has clunked in the front, from day one, every time I back out of my garage!

I posted on another thread about the Nitro having slow clock issues. There was a TSB for this. Dealer had to run a test. If the test failed, a part was ordered. I wonder if it is the part that they ordered for you?

Edited by dhh3

NUMBER: 02-001-13

GROUP: Front Suspension

DATE: March 06, 2013

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,

or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.

SUBJECT:

Noise From Front Of Vehicle Over Bumps Or When Turning

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the upper front strut bearing to correct the noise.

MODELS:

2012-2013 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between December 01, 2011 (MDH

1201XX) and December 05, 2012 (MDH 1205XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a noise from the front upper strut mount going over bumps

or when turning.

DIAGNOSIS:

NOTE: The front strut should be diagnosed with Chassis Ears placed at the upper

strut mount to diagnose a noisy strut bearing or to eliminate the good strut

bearings as the cause of the noise.

1. Drive the vehicle to confirm the noise is in the upper mount area of the strut.

2. Is there noise coming from the left or right upper strut mount?

a. Yes >>> Perform the repair procedure on the noisy upper strut bearing.

b. No >>> This bulletin does not apply, further diagnosis required.

NOTE: Do not replace the shock unless the problem is not fixed by the strut bearing

replacement.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

2 (AR) 05171093AC Bearing - Front Suspension Strut

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable hoist. Refer to the detailed service procedures

available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 04- Vehicle

Quick Reference> Hoisting> Standard Procedure> Hoisting.

NUMBER: 02-001-13

GROUP: Front Suspension

DATE: March 06, 2013

2. Replace the upper strut bearing. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in

DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 02- Front Suspension>

STRUT, Suspension, Assembly> Disassembly/Assembly.

NOTE: Assemble the upper front mount strut bracket (Fig. 1) to the upper front strut

bearing (Fig. 2) by aligning the stud heads on the strut bracket to the 3

notches on the strut bearing.

Fig. 1 Front upper Strut Bracket

1 - Stud Heads

02-001-13 -2-

Fig. 2 Front Upper Strut Bearing

1 - Notches

3. Return vehicle to the customer.

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation

No:

Description Amount

02-05-39-90 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect (2-Skilled) 0.2 Hrs.

02-05-39-91 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect And Replace

One Side (2-Skilled)

1.0 Hrs.

02-05-39-92 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect And Replace

Both Sides (2- Skilled)

1.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:

ZZ Service Action

-3- 02-001-13

Mine was not in that year range but the fix was the same. Maybe they will update to include later years. I can imagine if I had to pay for this, I'd just live with it. Replacing struts and strut mounts, along with an alignment, is quite labor intensive. This probably would cost at a minimum $500 probably more.