Unlock on Keyless is Setting off Alarm

This just started ... when I push unlock on my keyless entry remote, it sets off the alarm. Not the panic alarm, the regular alarm. Nothing will shut it off. Then, once I get the door key out and open the door manually, it switches into panic alarm mode and then I can shut it off then. It doesn't do it again unless it sits for a while. Any clues? My dealer said he's never heard of this and I have an appt on Monday.

This just started ... when I push unlock on my keyless entry remote, it sets off the alarm. Not the panic alarm, the regular alarm. Nothing will shut it off. Then, once I get the door key out and open the door manually, it switches into panic alarm mode and then I can shut it off then. It doesn't do it again unless it sits for a while. Any clues? My dealer said he's never heard of this and I have an appt on Monday.

I had this exact same problem!! Sooooo annoying!!!!!

After an unsuccessful diagnostic and it happening again. I called the dealer while it was going off. They said there was no reason for it. No kidding!

In the end, they found that the wires connecting to the module for the alarm were loose/not connected properly. So they fixed that. I haven't had the problem since and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope this helps!

PS >> When your dealer tells you they've never heard of the problem before, don't let that discourage you. You're not crazy! There seems to be a lot of little annoying electrical problems with the Journey. (I've already had my horn replaced once, alarm worked on, passenger side power window repaired...etc) Aside from that, the vehicle is amazing! It's kind of like a catch-22: I love the funtionality, the ride, the utility; I hate the numerous warranty issues!

It is a "known" issue. My dealer replaced both FOBs (not needed) and also replaced the "module" . That's all the info I got. I did resolve the issue.

It is a "known" issue. My dealer replaced both FOBs (not needed) and also replaced the "module" . That's all the info I got. I did resolve the issue.

Well, went to the dealership today. They obviously found nothing wrong and knew nothing about it. Couldn't get it to do it there, but then when I went to work at 4pm, it did it again. Figures. They said they would call Chrysler technical assistance and let me know what they say.

Keep pressing them for a resolution. Print off the threads to this post and take it to them. If they still "can't find a problem" then you probably need to find a new dealer.

My dealer said the same thing when I reported this exact same problem, "There is no problem". Even the diagnositc reported nothing abnormal. It wasn't until they physically went into my vehicle and surveyed the connections that they acutally found a problem. This is more than just a known "issue". It's a frequent problem that enough users of this site have reported that it should be known to Chrysler.

I wish you luck in dealing with this.

Well, went to the dealership today. They obviously found nothing wrong and knew nothing about it. Couldn't get it to do it there, but then when I went to work at 4pm, it did it again. Figures. They said they would call Chrysler technical assistance and let me know what they say.

That's frustrating...I was told that the dealers have access to a "shared" Technical information Database. It lists reported problems and the resolution. Doesn't sound like it is working very well.

Keep after them. I got lucky and mine went off in the parking lot AFTER the first time they said "No issue found".

I left it honking by the front door. The Manager asked me to turn it off and I threw the keys to him and said be my guest.

It was satisfying to see him fumble around to get it to stop.

That's frustrating...I was told that the dealers have access to a "shared" Technical information Database. It lists reported problems and the resolution. Doesn't sound like it is working very well.

Keep after them. I got lucky and mine went off in the parking lot AFTER the first time they said "No issue found".

I left it honking by the front door. The Manager asked me to turn it off and I threw the keys to him and said be my guest.

It was satisfying to see him fumble around to get it to stop.

Oh I would have LOVED to have been able to do that! Good on you!!

I had a similar response from a Manager, but I was on the phone. The Manager asked me what the problem was, at first I was ready to be really nice and polite, and I said, "Well, you hear that honking in the backgroud?"

He said, "Yeah, it's really annoying, can you turn it off?"

My response: "No, I can't that's why I'm calling you. I'm stuck in the parking lot at work and I'm not driving around with it like this or someone is going to think I stole my own car!"

I guess I had a kind of snipy tone when I said it because his response was: "I'm so sorry, that was meant to be a joke. I guess it's not really funny, huh?"

He went through telling me to push all the buttons and lock and unlock the door with the valet key, put the key in the ignition, nothing worked, and then tells me to try getting in through the Gate. Well, as I'm sure you know, there is only one key hole on the Journey equipped with remote keyless entry and it's on the driver's door. I told him that I couldn't. He asked me what I was driving, I told him, and his response was, "Well, that shouldn't be happening. I've never had that problem on a Journey before." Well, gee, you think? You mean, it's SUPPOSED to work PROPERLY???

• 4 months later...

i had the same problem last week, im at wal-mart parking lot, i tried to stop the alarm i have my FOB and my wife have the other copy we both tried. luckily i manage to stop the alarm without calling for help.

What i did, i use the valet key to open the door and use the FOB to start the engine, the engine started and the alarm just stoped.

so far its been a week now didnt happen again.... it was embarrasing there was an old car beside me in the parking lot with the whole family and a lot of ppl they all look at you like your a wierdo or just trying to show off your new vehicle :(

i had the same problem last week, im at wal-mart parking lot, i tried to stop the alarm i have my FOB and my wife have the other copy we both tried. luckily i manage to stop the alarm without calling for help.

What i did, i use the valet key to open the door and use the FOB to start the engine, the engine started and the alarm just stoped.

so far its been a week now didnt happen again.... it was embarrasing there was an old car beside me in the parking lot with the whole family and a lot of ppl they all look at you like your a wierdo or just trying to show off your new vehicle :(

I was having a similar problem too.

There are a few reasons it could happen and fixes.

One fix is replacing the alarms interior sensors with new ones.

the other fix is repalcing either the alarm control module and/or your keys or the WIN module (iginition module you put your key fob in to start the car). the WIN mod. is under a tsb.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to the dealership twice. They said until I can get it to do it for them, there is nothing they can do. BS! They said if I want I can leave it for a few days and they will try to get it to do it. Well, when it does it twice a month, NO THANKS!

That blows...my dealership was nice enough to believe me and correct the problem first and formost.

Sorry your having a bad dealer experience. The thing i realize while working with BMW, is that the cars can have many problems, but if the dealership like mine puts customer service first and formost (like my dodge dealer too) the problems are not as bad as they can be. it actually makes dealer trips enjoyable.

• 2 months later...

We just bought our 2009 Journey last Friday, and tonight (less than a week) I had the same exact problem! So embarassing. The dealer was helpful on the phone and wants me to bring it in, so tomorrow I'll be going in to see what they can find. I'll print this forum to take with me, thanks everybody for the info!

• 11 months later...

This problem has persisted for two years. I have had locking mechanisms, wiring, the alarm itself, the horn, and the computer replaced. I've had diagnostics run on it numerous times. The last time I had the problem was Feb 2010, the computer was replaced and I didn't have the problem again until two weeks ago. I honestly thought the issue had been fixed. Unfortunately, I think it may have something to do with the cold, somehow...

My dealership has been very helpful and I trust that they have been doing their best to service my vehicle properly. But, since this problem has continued for so long, after so many repairs, I decided to see if Chrysler Canada could tell me anything about the issue. The most efficient fix so far was replacing the computer and that lasted about ten months, what happens when my warranty runs out? I planned on having the vehicle for longer than that. They informed me that I would have to have a diagnostic done and show no problem, then I call them back and the issue is forwarded to the Resolution Centre and someone contacts you within one business day. I took the vehicle in and of course it returned a negative test result. I contacted Chrysler Canada again and got some guff about not speaking with the Service Manager (because she wasn't there), and because I called right away, the dealership hadn't even spoken with Technical Assistance yet, the girl didn't want to forward off the issue. I was able to convince her though.

A couple hours later the Service Manager called me and asked me to bring the vehicle back for a day so that she can try to recreate the issue. She owns a Journey too (a 2010) and has a problem with the passanger door lock rapidly locking and unlocking when you exit the vehicle. The diagnostic returned a negative result for her as well but she did say that it only happens when it's cold and damp out. Unfortunately, I have had this problem in the

summer before, it just starts when it gets cold. Does my truck need a frost blanket? LOL

I got a call back from someone at Chrysler Canada not long after that, they told me to do what the dealership suggested. They had no information for me because they are not technically trained, only the Technical Assistance department has records of known issues and they don't talk to customers, only dealerships. So the dealership will try again, and I am without my beloved Journey for another day. If they can't get a diagnosis, I will have to wait until it does it to me again (hopefully when it's convenient and I'm not at work *yeah right*) and drop everything to rush to the dealership and have her hooked up again...aside from that Chrysler Canada's response is currently, "Without a diagnosis there is no warranty repair." Grrreeeaaat!

• 9 months later...

I do not know if you all are still having the same problem but my dealer is working on my car as we speak and as soon as they give me a write up of the problem and solution I will be putting it on here. My 2009 Journey was doing the same thing and my dealer said it had something to do with the wires running from the responder (the part that recieves the signal after you press the lock/unlock button) were going bad. I hope this helps if anyone is still having this problem!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Its me weatherman54 I sorted it Took the Back door panels off there is a screw under a flap inside the hand grip and another back of the pull open handle there is a small pull down flap hole at top the rest are pull grommets use a strong scraper I didn't put a new sensor in I cut the purple and yellow weir and then the dark green pink then taped them back to the other weirs. JOB DONE ON DUUR ALERT NO ALARM GOING OFF AND ON MORE FLAT BATTERY THANK GOD ITS OVER WITH

if your alarm is going of sit in it look at the dash for your door ajar coming on if it doze then the above will sort it

• 2 years later...

I am so sick of this crap. Apparently IT IS A PROBLEM DODGE and you need to fix it or better yet I will not being buying by fourth Dodge and go to a Honda or Toyota because their keyless keys A) don't set off the alarm when the valet uses the valet key and B) does not set off the alarm when you hit the UNLOCK on the keyless key. It is the dummest design to have the Alarm at the top and right below the lock and unlock. All the space on it and let me guess, cause it's made in Mexico someone thought that would be a great idea, NOT.  I am so sick of this happening and no matter what, it takes 5 minutes to shut it off and at 6am my neighbors are not happy either. The dealer tried to understand why and they gave me new keys and it still happens at least 4 times a week.

On 9/30/2009 at 0:29 AM, stone_white said:

Using the valet key to unlock my 2009 Journey, sets off the alarm so it's of no use.

1 hour ago, nothappyatall said:

I am so sick of this crap. Apparently IT IS A PROBLEM DODGE and you need to fix it or better yet I will not being buying by fourth Dodge and go to a Honda or Toyota because their keyless keys A) don't set off the alarm when the valet uses the valet key and B) does not set off the alarm when you hit the UNLOCK on the keyless key. It is the dummest design to have the Alarm at the top and right below the lock and unlock. All the space on it and let me guess, cause it's made in Mexico someone thought that would be a great idea, NOT.  I am so sick of this happening and no matter what, it takes 5 minutes to shut it off and at 6am my neighbors are not happy either. The dealer tried to understand why and they gave me new keys and it still happens at least 4 times a week.

1 hour ago, nothappyatall said:

Using the valet key to unlock my 2009 Journey, sets off the alarm so it's of no use.

Your Journey is 8 years old now. Has it always done this or just started? Have you replaced the batteries with fresh batteries in the FOB? Have you ever taken it to a dealer for a diagnosis?? Are you wanting help or just feel the need to rant?

Edited by jkeaton