Anyone here use a fumoto qwik valve?

cerjed

Hi all. First post but I have been reading the forum since last year, a few months before my purchase of a 2014 DJ in December.

I value the knowledge and experiences exchanged in this forum and I wanted to get some insight on the fumoto qwik valve for use in a 2.4l DJ.

I am planning on doing my own oil changes after an incident at the dealership a few days ago where I came in for an oil change and upon getting home, I find out that the oil filter was not changed. Invoice states filter and oil was changed along with the usual fluid top off and inspection but I don't believe the fluids were topped off either. Even the windshield washer fluid was the same level. I can only guess if the oil was really changed. You might be asking how I know that the oil filter was not changed. Well, before going to the dealer, I taped a small piece of transparent tape to the oil filter. It is so hard trying to find a trustworthy auto service place and I just wanted to see how trustworthy this service center was. Now, granted it was an early oil change and maybe the filter did not need changing plus the price of the oil change was discounted because I bought the vehicle from them . But shouldn't the service invoice reflect the actual work performed? The bottom line is they are saying a certain service was performed when in fact it was not. I am almost scared to think what can happen if it was a major repair work or warranty repair. Anyway, I am not upset or angry and I will not be confronting anybody from that dealership. I do not want to get confrontational in case I might have to go to the same dealer for repairs later on. I figured out and accepted long ago that not everyone can be counted on to do the jobs they are paid to do. Right now, I just want to go ahead and do my own oil changes. The thing is, I live in an apt bldg. and I would be doing the oil change at a friend's driveway so I want to be as quick and as clean as possible so any comments are welcome. Sorry for the long rant about a very simple topic and thank you in advance for any input.

I have used them in the past on other vehicles. Yes, they do save a bit of time and one less tool to use (socket wrench). But you still have to crawl up under the vehicle to change the filter and open the valve. I found the cost did not justify saving a couple minutes it takes to remove the drain plug with a wrench. Ok, you might also save yourself from getting oil on your hands or wrench, too.

How is the clearance for the DJ? Is it going to be too exposed? I don't mind crawling under the vehicle. I just cannot do any vehicle work on our city streets. I plan on going to a friend's house and using his driveway so the lesser the mess the better. Thanks.

Edited by cerjed

I would rethink about raising the issue with the dealer. You seem to assume that the dealer is aware that their staff is not doing their job. How can you expect dealers to improve their service if consumers don't hold them accountable? If I brought my Journey in for service and suspected that the service that I paid for and requested wasn't done, I would be bringing it to the attention of the service manager. As far as any future repairs, this would serve as a warning to them that you won't tolerate slip shod service. Personally I think you're selling the dealership short. Give them an opportunity to investigate and satisfy your concern before you accuse them of bad behaviour.

I agree with Rolly. Bring this to the service manager's attention. There seems to have been some bad behavior here, but you won't know for sure unless it is investigated. Maybe they reinstalled your tape??? If not, then the documentation vs work performed inequality is serious. The service mgr deserves to be told. (S)he may be unaware.

If you decide to do your own oil changes, keep all receipts and a log of dates and mileage for future warranty service needs. Chrysler can deny warranty in the absence of relevant maintenance records. Good luck.

Peace.

You're right. I agree 100%. The manager may not be aware of what his mechanic was doing. The thing was I was already at home when I checked and it was a 40 min drive for me to get back plus traffic. They would have been closed by the time I got there and honestly I just did not want to deal with all the trouble and aggravation. I am the type of person who wants to avoid confrontation as much as possible (which I know does not serve me well at times). I could actually call today and take it up with the service manager but then the burden of proof will be on me. Even if somehow the manager sides with me and makes everything okay, whose to say that other people there wouldn't have heard of the incident and the next time I bring the car in something "accidentally" happens to it. All for a simple oil change. If it was a major repair, in which safety was an issue, things would be very different and I would raise hell. But small things like this, I try to not let it bother me. I was not out any significant amount of money since the service was heavily discounted and I think of it as a form of education. A reminder to always be on guard if I deal with this dealership again. My buying experience with them was really not so great either. The sales person was okay but dealing with the finance manager was an experience I would not want to repeat for many years. It was like he wanted the most he can get out of me but he was the one doing me a favor. You can probably tell that meeting was a disaster for me since I am not one to assert myself. I guess I was hoping the service department was better. A place where I go in, pay the right amount, and leave knowing the proper work was done. I have yet to find a service center like this and if anyone wants to refer anybody, I would be very grateful. This is only my second new car and based on what I experienced both times with different dealerships both during shopping and with the actual purchase, I am thinking that honesty and dealership does not mix well together - most times. I ran that first car into the ground doing little maintenance, jumping from one place to the next for service, and never even going back to the dealership because of unpleasant experiences there. I am planning on taking care of this DJ better. I guess I just need a little luck finding a mechanic I can stick with.

Long rant again, sorry.

Anyway, back to the topic. I ordered the fumoto and will see how it goes. I may not have chance to install it until June though. Will definitely update this post when I do.

Thank you all for listening and further comments are always welcome.

Edited by cerjed

I have a Fumoto Oil valve installed on my 02 300M Special. I did it for two reasons. To reduce the mess by simply connecting a clear hose to the nipple on the valve and directing it straight into my oil can, instead of getting oil on my wrench and hands, potentially on the floor, and having to transfer it from my pan to the can anyway. The second reason is the oil pan on its engine (second generation 3.5L) is aluminum, and strips very easily. I have a habit of over-torquing and didn't want to risk it. So by installing the valve, I never have to remove or reinstall the plug.

A third benefit is I can stick my oil pan under the filter and change the filter while the crankcase drains, saving a bit of time as well versus draining the oil, moving the pan, removing the filter, then moving the pan back over to the crankcase and draining what additional bit accumulated.

Quite handy.

Thanks B4zinga. Those are also the reasons why I want to try it out. My only concern is the clearance from the ground. I would think the DJ is high enough but the potential for an accident is still on my mind.

Edited by cerjed

You're right. I agree 100%. The manager may not be aware of what his mechanic was doing. The thing was I was already at home when I checked and it was a 40 min drive for me to get back plus traffic. They would have been closed by the time I got there and honestly I just did not want to deal with all the trouble and aggravation. I am the type of person who wants to avoid confrontation as much as possible (which I know does not serve me well at times). I could actually call today and take it up with the service manager but then the burden of proof will be on me. Even if somehow the manager sides with me and makes everything okay, whose to say that other people there wouldn't have heard of the incident and the next time I bring the car in something "accidentally" happens to it. All for a simple oil change. If it was a major repair, in which safety was an issue, things would be very different and I would raise hell. But small things like this, I try to not let it bother me. I was not out any significant amount of money since the service was heavily discounted and I think of it as a form of education. A reminder to always be on guard if I deal with this dealership again. My buying experience with them was really not so great either. The sales person was okay but dealing with the finance manager was an experience I would not want to repeat for many years. It was like he wanted the most he can get out of me but he was the one doing me a favor. You can probably tell that meeting was a disaster for me since I am not one to assert myself. I guess I was hoping the service department was better. A place where I go in, pay the right amount, and leave knowing the proper work was done. I have yet to find a service center like this and if anyone wants to refer anybody, I would be very grateful. This is only my second new car and based on what I experienced both times with different dealerships both during shopping and with the actual purchase, I am thinking that honesty and dealership does not mix well together - most times. I ran that first car into the ground doing little maintenance, jumping from one place to the next for service, and never even going back to the dealership because of unpleasant experiences there. I am planning on taking care of this DJ better. I guess I just need a little luck finding a mechanic I can stick with.

Long rant again, sorry.

Anyway, back to the topic. I ordered the fumoto and will see how it goes. I may not have chance to install it until June though. Will definitely update this post when I do.

Thank you all for listening and further comments are always welcome.

Glenbrook Dodge, Chrysler Jeep, Fort Wayne, Indiana. They built the new Corporate Style Showroom next to their old Dodge Store. The Dodge store was completely remodeled, and they are one of a select group to sell Alfa Romeo.

Thanks dhh3 but Indiana will be a long drive for me.

Woah322, I really do not want to post the name of the particular dealer on a public forum. After all, this was my one and only experience with their service department. Maybe it was an isolated incident. I can PM you the name if you want. I don't think that will cause any problems but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by cerjed

I've found that the only way to get good service is to do it myself. I've found that the only way to get good service from a dealer for a reasonable price is to go in armed with knowledge of your precise warranty coverage and a good idea of what is wrong with your vehicle before walking in.

Doing your own maintenance is well within your rights under US consumer protection laws. Just make sure you keep records for the duration of your warranty/service contract coverage (and make sure that any contract you have is not voided by DIY). Doing the basic maintenance yourself will teach you about your vehicle, encourage you to learn more, and you will know what's wrong with it before the computers tell you. This is assuming you have space, time, and curiosity. The tools will pay for themselves.

Edited by bfurth

• 1 month later...

Finally got the fumoto installed over the weekend. The oil I drained looked dirty. Now I am positive that the oil and filter was not changed when I took it to the dealer for an oil change 6 weeks and 300 miles ago. I drained about 5.5 quarts of oil. I don't know if they overfilled it when I took it in for the supposed oil change. Imagine if I believed that the oil change was done and waited for the next OCI. I will definitely be doing my own oil changes from now on. The valve looks and works well. It does not protrude enough to increase the risk of anything hitting it while driving. I used the blue washer it came with and no leaks so far. Used Pennzoil platinum and Royal Purple oil filter for the oil change. I even enjoyed crawling under the car and doing the whole process. Looking forward for the next oil change. Any suggestions on what interval I should go with? 5000 miles or wait until the alarm goes off?

Oil capacity is 6 qts if you have the 3.6L so it was not overfilled. I have changed mine every 6k/6000 miles since we got it, but this time I'm waiting till the oil change light somes on. The oil change frequency is totally dependant on personal choice. Since you used a premium filter and oil, wait, Thats why you bought it. It's throwing money away doing it sooner.

Edited by jkeaton

Don't you love when "professional" mechanics can't be bothered to use the right quantities for maintenance? Fortunatley you didn't do too much driving since the "oil change." I'd go after them if you could prove it (improper amount of oil, potential that the oil was not actually changed).

As for when to do the next change - wait for the light, or 1 year, whichever comes first. Pennzoil Platinum meets MS-6395, and even a conventional with those specs is good for up to 8,000 miles (assuming the '14 and '15 have the same interval).

I'm relying on the oil light, or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first (as recommended in the owners manual). The oil light came on for my R/T for the first oil change at 8,200 miles. A local mopar group member said his Ram did the same. I anticipate my next change will be between 16,000-18,000 miles. Sitting at 13,600 miles currently, while I tool around Canada in a rented 2015 SXT with 16,500 on it... it's only options are the Pentastar, AWD, 3rd row... I miss my R/T!

My former Honda CRV averaged 12'500 miles between oil changes. This was while using conventional oil as recommended in the manual. The EVIC let me know when to change.

Some people act like your engine will blow up if you go over 5k miles. The oil change interval on Journeys was upped to 10'000 miles a couple of years ago. If it weren't safe, then they wouldn't have recommended it. After all, they pay out warranty claims. So to all of you who change way early, thanks for destroying the environment and wasting money.

Says the guy who drives 118 mph. ;)

How many decades did we hear 3 months/3,000 miles? Hell, we STILL here that from many a dishonest dealership/shop/quick lube den of thieves. It's an easy way to part the uninformed (or those who refuse to change their ways) from their money.