Magnaflow exhaust install - before and after sounds

the after does sound better ,a little deeper sound, do you noticed a drone or deeper noise at highway speed. after i changed my truck muffler to a flow master and then duals out the rear it raised the noise level and the wife was not a happy camper but it was to late to go back. also the affect that with the org. resonators have drip holes and knowing how much water that does drip out of them wonder how long your new ones will last?

Edited by 2late4u

What "Plug in" do I need to listen? I looked at all your pictures along the top of the Forum Home Page. What you actually did was to replace the resonators with mufflers. The muffler is up front somewhere. I'm still curious as to how it sounds.

For some reason the videos don't play in the gallery. If you look towards the bottom of my post you should see a download section. Download the videos and then you should be able to play them. Unfortunately my videos are upside down but the sound works fine. I transposed them correctly but I can't upload the corrections within this response. (I least I don't know how)

the after does sound better ,a little deeper sound, do you noticed a drone or deeper noise at highway speed. after i changed my truck muffler to a flow master and then duals out the rear it raised the noise level and the wife was not a happy camper but it was to late to go back. also the affect that with the org. resonators have drip holes and knowing how much water that does drip out of them wonder how long your new ones will last?

The highway sound is not raised significantly. I still hear the radio just fine. Mostly the sound is just a little deeper. It might be my imagination, but I think I sense an increase in performance as well. It might be psychosomatic, but for me perception is reality.

When I joined this Forum last June when I purchased my DJ, it was stated on the Forum that the rears were the resonators, and the front was the muffler. The exhaust system, at least on the V6, is a 2 into 1 into 2. It would make sense that the muffler would be up front, as close to the engine as possible. In all my years of learning all that I could about cars, I have never seen or heard of an exhaust system where the resonator is in front of the muffler(s).

For some reason the videos don't play in the gallery. If you look towards the bottom of my post you should see a download section. Download the videos and then you should be able to play them. Unfortunately my videos are upside down but the sound works fine. I transposed them correctly but I can't upload the corrections within this response. (I least I don't know how)

When I click on your downloads, I get a you tube video of a POS Toyota truck out west somewhere.

When I joined this Forum last June when I purchased my DJ, it was stated on the Forum that the rears were the resonators, and the front was the muffler. The exhaust system, at least on the V6, is a 2 into 1 into 2. It would make sense that the muffler would be up front, as close to the engine as possible. In all my years of learning all that I could about cars, I have never seen or heard of an exhaust system where the resonator is in front of the muffler(s).

maybee journeyman2 could answer this question... either way they do sound better than stock....

Edited by 2late4u

I wish that I could hear it! I would think that it would sound better.

I apologize for your difficulty. If you go back to my original post, towards the bottom of the post box, are two attachments entitled "after.mov" and "before.mov".

I think if you download those files you will be able to hear the difference in the two systems.

I again apologize that they are upside down but that is not important as the sound still comes through. If you still have problems perhaps I can open a youtube account and post them there or else try to email them to you.

:)

Got it. I had to download Windows Media Player. I does sound good. I think that I clicked on the arrow which brought me to you tube. I would love to find the exhaust system for a Pontiac 6000 STE. That was the best sounding V6 ever. Yours comes very close to it. What are the magnaflow P/Ns?

This is a link to an older Journey with a 3.5L engine, but the muffler location seems to match the same as the 3.6L. 4 cylinder is not listed with Walker.

http://mastercatalog.walkerexhaust.com/english/ExhaustCouponLargeScreen.asp?img=2538

The resonator is before the muffler (it's basically right after the catalytic converter). It's a very similar configuration to my old '03 Malibu. I also don't understand the purpose of daul mufflers for a system that really only has one exhaust pipe. Go whole hog with a dual exhaust system (one for each bank of the engine) or don't bother!

I went to a muffler shop that used Magnaflow clones. It was an extra $150 to use magnaflows. I chose to go the clone route in order to make sure I liked the sound,. The noise going down the road is slightly louder that stock but not enough to be an annoyance. I am happy with the change. I do not intend to remove the resonator up front because I think that will make it drone at highway speeds, JMO

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Resonator delete is the way to go. Deeper, more aggressive but somewhat raspier sound. I have flowmaster clones on my Journey with resonator delete and its a bit loud on the highway. I can't say it drones, at least not real bad, but I can see it getting annoying for more than a few hours of driving. I've heard magnaflows are much better at managing the drone, but are not as aggressive sounding as flowmaster. I'm thinking of switching mine out but only for the right price.

Have you noticed any vibrations inside the cabin? Like plastic pieces vibrating at certain RPM's? Maybe it's just my exhaust. I can't hear them anymore with the resonator removed but I certainly could before.

Have you looked at my YouTube video? Just type in2014/dodge journey blacktop magnaflow I have three of them. Love the magnaflow sound but I might put my resonator back on. It drones a little but not terrible. But I won't be putting the stock reso back in. I'll be buying the magnaflow resonator. I have 4.5 inch tips

• 3 weeks later...