Should I complain about the factory paint job?

scorpionman1958

The transmission itself is OK, but the software has undergone a few revisions since its release. While my Journey was in the bodyshop (for the third time :( ) I rented a 2015 Chrysler 200 with the 948TE nine speed. Shifted smoother than the 62TE overall and there was a ratio for any speed which kept the engine in its powerband. This tranny is well-suited for a four cylinder engine. The 3.2 and 3.6 have so much power that the extra ratios really aren't entirely necessary, IMO. If the Journey had this transmission it would be a rocket from 0-60, but you'd have to have AWD otherwise the front tires would go up in smoke, or the traction control would be constantly engaging to keep that from happening.

Really? I test drove a 2.4L and a 3.2L Cherokee back to back and felt the opposite. Neither engine was well suited to the 9-speed, however the one to have is the 3.2L, since the 2.4L was constantly searching for a gear.

Meanwhile, the 3.6L 200 a friend of mine has is much better and doesn't dig. It works a lot like my 6 speed Journey driving around town, never really going above 6th gear.

I had a 2005 Jeep and had a small dent in the door, they tried to match the paint in two paint shops who are very good could not match the paint perfectly, had to paint the entire side to make it look good, so I would get it fixed because I am the fussy type. Tell them to fix it, or replace it. Just my opinion

• 1 month later...

Just an update with Chrysler waiting for a month now and finally heard back from them. And Chrysler said NOPE WE ARE NOT going to fix this problem you have with your DJ under warranty.....since it only does it in certain lighting conditions we (Chrysler) feel it is not a defect in the paint job. "COME ON REALLY" I'm also wondering since the service manager and I are not in good terms and took over a month to get an answer that he's not out to screw me. if that's not the case with him I'm SO I'M DONE WITH CHRYSLER, my family and I as spent over 230,000 dollars in new Chrysler trucks and SUV's over 30 years and this is the kind of treatment a loyal customer gets? So now I'm thinking of 1. trading it off and getting something better under a new brand. 2. just letting it go back and ruin my credit which it isn't much good anyways and start over. 3, keep it and just live with it or 4. put some kind of striping job over it or those fake bullet holes all over it. The sad thing about it, I like the looks of Chrysler cars and trucks over just about any manufacture.

post-11168-0-03883100-1434287063_thumb.j

post-11168-0-22448500-1434287169_thumb.j

Well this morning I sent pics to the service manager again and he resubmitted the pics to Chrysler and the approved it to repaint the panel within like 10 minutes. Service manager was shocked that they responded that fast. funny I wait for over a month to hear something and they turned it down, this morning they approved it in 10 minutes. WTH???? Maybe they read this post? I just hope it looks right when they get through with it. well at least it puts a little faith in Chrysler for doing the right thing cause I really like my DJ. I just wish my mom who is 84 now had an easier time getting in and out of it.

My silver Crossroad exhibits color differences as well, but I have decided to live with the problem . . . . .

You indicated that your local service manager and you are not on the best of terms - I wonder if he even submitted the request?

You might want to check around to see if any one local dealer is known for better body work than the next before handing it in for the work.

I was surprised that your claim was denied the first time around. I'm pretty certain that it was never submitted. We receive near-instant approvals on paint work almost anytime we submit them - on vehicles that are much older than yours, I might add. The only denials that we've received are the ones where it is obvious that the sheetmetal was damaged as opposed to an outright defect. Keep us posted.

I was surprised that your claim was denied the first time around. I'm pretty certain that it was never submitted. We receive near-instant approvals on paint work almost anytime we submit them - on vehicles that are much older than yours, I might add. The only denials that we've received are the ones where it is obvious that the sheetmetal was damaged as opposed to an outright defect. Keep us posted.

I'm thinking that it wasn't submitted as well. I think when the service manager realized that he wasn't going to hear the end of it, he covered his butt. It pays to be assertive and persistent.

I'm glad it worked out and Chrysler didn't take the fall for such lousy service!

I'm not sure how your Dealer is set up, but for repairs/service/warranty work I see the Service Manager. We are on very good terms. For body work/paint, I see the collision shop manager - 2 different people. If someone brings their car in for paint, etc. the service manager will tell them to take the car back to the collision center. They never get involved with each others work. Parts is sort of in the middle.

So reading this I got into an accident last week is.the repaint not going to be as good as factory? I'm sure my hood will be repainted as well as 1 or both fenders

Does your Dealer have a Body Shop? If so, take it to them if they have a good reputation. That would be your best shot at matching.

I've had body work done from two incidents. You can't see where the work was done at all, and I have the Blue Streak Pearl. Find a good body shop, and make sure they'll stand behind their work. The shop I used will guarantee the work as long as I own the vehicle. If there's ever an issue with the parts or paint, they (supposedly, haven't had to make anyone pay up on this yet) will repair it on their dime.

So reading this I got into an accident last week is.the repaint not going to be as good as factory? I'm sure my hood will be repainted as well as 1 or both fenders

My Journey was hit three times in a year and a half. The paint matches perfectly and it's Copper Pearl which is very tough to match. A reputable bodyshop will get it right.

• 3 weeks later...

WELL, the service manager told me the paint shop owner said it would take 2 days to paint the panel. Chrysler said they would pay for 2 days for a rental, ok great I thought so on July 6 I took it in before 9 am and the dealership gave me a loaner. It is now July 9 at 11 pm so they have had the DJ 4 work days. I've called the paint shop about a half a dozen times in the last 2 days. And NO ONE will ever call me back to let me know how it going or when I can pick up my DJ. So now I'm getting nervous on WTH is going on. I'm thinking they messed it up so bad on trying to match it that they are painting the whole DJ. Any thought for anyone?

You should be in the clear as far as the rental goes (make sure you talk to corporate customer service as well as the dealership). You had a scheduled time to do the job. They gave you a reasonable estimate for getting the paint done. I'm not sure how they would do it in 2 days for a full panel repaint, considering the body shop I used said that because it was a three stage paint (the pearl flakes throughout, plus clear coat, they had quoted 3 days for paint), but either way, you're on day 4. If the shop screwed up, the they should be paying part of the rental bill.

You've called the paint shop. Call the service advisor. If you are still getting unsatisfactory answers, go back to Chrysler.

Well today I got it back at 4 pm, from what I can tell the metal flake is a little more that the other paint and the buffed the hell out of clear clear coat and fine dust everywhere. they didn't even wash it. so my guess is they didn't get done from the week before other jobs since it was 4th of july weekend. When the sun comes up in the morning and shine on it I will be able to get a better look. the paint job warranty is good for a year then Chrysler's 100,000 takes over so hopefully good to go. I will post pics tomorrow. Now just need to get it lowered so mom can be happy