Spare Tire

sdeveau

We have the 19's on our Journey.

Ran over a screw, flattened the tire while we were doing groceries.

Put the spare tire on it the rain. I swear the spare is the size of my rim (just the rim, no rubber).

Looked like a fool with broken hydraulics the way my Journey was leaning!

It would be nice if they could include a larger spare for Journeys that are delivered with the 19s already on!

It doesn't make any difference what size of rim your Journey comes with, the overall size of the rim and tire are the same. The larger size rims have lower profile tires on them. This keeps the diameter of the combined rim and tire the same. More importantly the circumference of the tire is the same regardless of the rim size and they do not have to make any adjustment to the speedometer/odometer for the various rim sizes.

Go to any good tire web site and check out the specs. on the various size tires that Chrysler offers on the Journey. The diameter and circumference on them all will be within fractions of each other therefore no adjustment will be necessary. If you don't do your homework and put a tire size on that does not match one of the three available for the Journey then speedo and odometer may be out of wack and you may also have some rubbing of the tires.

That's good advice - if I wanted to change my wheels. I don't want to change them though, I love my wheels, 19" Chrome looks fantastic on the Journey.

I was simply commenting on the fact that the spare is so small. And yes, I understand that it is only meant to go from point A to point B so that you can either repair or replace your busted tire.

Also, we spoke to our sales person about winter tires and what size we should get. Obviously, the larger we go, the more expensive they will be. He suggested 17's because he thought the 16's would mess with the speedometer and odometer.

• 3 months later...
There are a lot of sites with speedo calculators based on tire sizes. Take a look. I have the 19" P225/55R19 Kohmo peice of junk tires on mine. Switch to the stock 16" tires, there is over 11% differnce in speedo. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!!

I don't know where you found this information, but 225/55R19 to 225/70R16 is 1.2% difference, not 11%!

• 7 years later...