Custom UCONNECT Access

ROFL. I will certainly mail you a sticker for being on the site and registered in under 5 minutes of me posting this. If you win, i'll also send you a Pi.. Good luck!

thanks to your site i found out i had an open recall on my vehicle that i wasnt aware of. nice feature btw.

i'm working on it. Not sure what the issue is, but i'm working on it.

As for the winner, after running a randomizer query in mysql against the 20+ users that registered, @silenze is the winner! as soon as I get the pieces in, and have a stable build, i'll be mailing you a fully loaded pi that's completely ready to go. I would go ahead and purchase your OBDLink LX so you have it in hand when you get the pi.

CONGRATS! The rest of you, i'll mail a sticker to each of you as soon as they come in.

Would you mind posting the website and registering info again? I guess I missed it. Not obvious when I re-scrolled through the thread. I'll sign up. If others are like me, we will need lots of guidance to get the OBD and pi hardware, whatever those are. . . Where does this stuff go? Will this stuff affect my lifetime warranty for the electronics?

Peace.

just goto www.uhacknect.com and register for an account by clicking the login link on the top right, and then clicking new account. As for purchasing the equipment, there is a list of the hardware needed, on the homepage, under the hardware tab. I've included all of the links to the amazon pages for the products. it comes out to be about $80 with everything. Eventually i'll be selling the device completely put together for the cost of the hardware, so if you just want to wait, you can do that and have one mailed to you completely assembled. I also have custom cases being printed that will look beautiful, and will include the uhacknect logo.

As for invalidating warranty, it won't. We aren't breaking anything on the car, and are simply leveraging the already existant OBD port under the front left part of the dashboard. Right now, I simply power the raspberry pi with the cigarette lighter port in the center console, and let it sit there also. This port (on my car at least) is always powered, so the Pi stays on until the car is turned on, at which point it's restarted in about 15 seconds and back up and pulling metrics, and waiting for actions to perform on the vehicle. IF you don't have an always powered port in your console, you can simply buy a power brick to power the pi. I have a 10k miliamp battery that lasts about 12 hours running the pie. It's automatically charged when the car is turned on. I'll take more photo's later of my setup so everyone can see it and how simple it is to install.

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

I doubt it will use more than 1G a month. I need to check my usage for the last 7 days, and let you know. It appears that each data push is about 4 bytes. it pushes 4 bytes every 5 seconds while you're driving. it also pulls 1 byte every 10 seconds when checking for actions to perform, and if there is one, can pull up to 10 bytes of data.

As for what to use, I live in the US and went to https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/otherdevices/hotspotand got the Mobile Hotspot (Unimax U240C Reconditioned) for $14.99 (Normally $79, one time). It's only a 3g connection, but that's all i need for the little data that i'm pulling. Every month it costs $15 for 1Gig of data, which I can swing.

If you would prefer to only rely on your cell phone or home/work internet connection, you can do that also. You simply join it to one of those and when it's in range, it will perform the action you've specified.

On that note, does anyone have the in-vehicle internet connection that comes from mopar? I need to know if it's always on, or only on when the vehicle is on.

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Would you be able to flash the BCM with this? I'm going to install a hitch to my Journey. I've read that it could cost $120 for a flash to turn on the port on the harness. I'm an IT guy and would rather give you money for development than the dealer.