Transmission fluid

Topher37

14 hours ago, Gmjourney75 said:

My DJ is a 2012 with a 2.4 engine.  It has a dip stick for the   transmission so would it make it serviceable other than taking it to the dealer

That just means you can check the fluid level. All transmissions are serviceable, with or without a dipstick. And, as stated, you don't need to go to the dealer. Do it yourself or take it to a transmission shop.

• 2 years later...

Bringing thread back to life because:

My 2015 DJ with 2.4L & 4 spd auto transmission should be serviced. 75,000km (Canada)

Transmission shop wants $300 & tax

Buddy's garage wants $80 & parts/fluid 

I work in auto parts industry, got fluid and filter cheap and will do it myself. I haven't located the filler spot yet, one video says I have to remove air filter box for access. I don't think I need silicone for gasket, but I'll check tomorrow and find out for sure. The filter comes with gasket and O ring. Pan access doesn't even require lifting vehicle and I never lift it to change oil either.

My concern is the exact amount of fluid needed is listed as 3.8L and I don't really even want to make my own redneck dipstick or buy one. Can't I just put 3.8L in and call it a day?

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this thread and our 2012 3.6 L having 99300 kms it was time. Loosened the lower corner only allowing a limited drain ( no mess) then lowered the entire cover. removed all residual sealant from cover face and cleaned the inside including the magnet. Did the same on the transmission face after allowing it to drip naturally for about an hour, then cleaned both faces with brake cleaner to be sure surface was clean. Removing the old filter was easy only two torx screws to remove then twist and pull  but, the small sleeve remained in place. Did not want to risk damaging the insert smooth walls and still not get it out. So, we left the original one in place and did not use the new replacement. The new filter minus the replacement sleeve took a little force to slip into the sleeve but you felt in slip into position and knew it was seated properly. Had a second set of hands hold a rag over the the small dip of fluid still leaking so not to leak on any of the sealant before both faces were together.  Remove the rag as you are lifting the cover back into place. 

Now for the fluid replacement, we used ATF+4 not a general ATF. We measured the volume of fluid in the drain pan after also emptying the fluid from the old filter, about 6 quarts / liters.  This amount was slowly installed using a long neck funnel into the tube marked for dealer use only. We then did the usual add about half the volume and going thru all gears then adding the remainder. Check for leaks from the cover and hopefully none and you are good to go. Cost was about $120  Cdn total.

That's great! My filter just popped right off, no screws at all. The new one snapped right into place, fluid at correct level (3.8L) and works just fine. Got her out for a rip to the mountains and double checked fluid again and it looks a tad low for hot, so I may add a tiny bit more this weekend when I'm on the highway again. Happy traveling everyone! =)