Cruise control not working

Hello,

I just got a 2011 Dodge Journey mainstreet. The cruise control is not working. When I push the on button from steering wheel. The light does not come on and when I push set button it's not working either. I did search on the forum, I found intermittent issues topic but not the type of problem I am having. Could it be a fuse issue? I check manual but there is no mention of cruise control or electronic speed control fuse.

There is also an issue with fuel gauge (when filling up the tank it shows 3/4 to 7/8) -- but this seems like a common issue that is not resolved. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The fuse is the first thing I would check (and easiest). On the passenger side under the glovebox. It's kind of hidden/tucked up in there.

The fuel gauge is a very common problem accross most DJ's. There is a TSB to replace the fuel pump module...covered under warranty. But it didn't help mine at all; it's 7/8 fuel 99% of the times I fill it up. I can only recall 2 times were it filled up to full after 80k miles! It's silly, but you get over it quickly. I don't know of anybody that had the TSB done and had the fuel gauge corrected after that. Seems like it's not a good fix.

Welcome to the forum. The cruise control will not work if one of the wheel sensors is bad. I would check them: make sure the contacts are clean and completely plugged in.

I did not now this. Are talking about the TPMS sensors? Does that cruise control use TPMS for speed measurement? I thought they were just PSI.

• Official Dodge Support

Hello,

I just got a 2011 Dodge Journey mainstreet. The cruise control is not working. When I push the on button from steering wheel. The light does not come on and when I push set button it's not working either. I did search on the forum, I found intermittent issues topic but not the type of problem I am having. Could it be a fuse issue? I check manual but there is no mention of cruise control or electronic speed control fuse.

There is also an issue with fuel gauge (when filling up the tank it shows 3/4 to 7/8) -- but this seems like a common issue that is not resolved. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help in advance.

patelajit,

There is a TSB that may apply to your issue. TSB# 08-010-14.

If your software level is below 14.02, you may need to upgrade that first. If this TSB does indeed pertain to your cruise control issue, the repair involves upgrading the software for the Steering Column Control Module. I have a screenshot of the TSB attached below.

post-4071-0-08760600-1424881744_thumb.jp

The fuse is the first thing I would check (and easiest). On the passenger side under the glovebox. It's kind of hidden/tucked up in there.

The fuel gauge is a very common problem accross most DJ's. There is a TSB to replace the fuel pump module...covered under warranty. But it didn't help mine at all; it's 7/8 fuel 99% of the times I fill it up. I can only recall 2 times were it filled up to full after 80k miles! It's silly, but you get over it quickly. I don't know of anybody that had the TSB done and had the fuel gauge corrected after that. Seems like it's not a good fix.

I went thru the manual for interior fuses (and even exterior fuses). Which fuse is for cruise control (aka electronic speed control)? They are not saying anything in the user manual -- any idea which fuse (number) it would be? Also, when I start the car, should there be cruise control light that should go on and off (I notice airbag, seatbelt, etc) but not cruise control light.

Thank you.

I did not now this. Are talking about the TPMS sensors? Does that cruise control use TPMS for speed measurement? I thought they were just PSI.

No, the wheel sensors are not TPMS sensors. These are the sensors that tell the computer the rotation rate for each wheel. They are located outside of the wheel, but I have no idea where they would be on the DJ.

patelajit,

There is a TSB that may apply to your issue. TSB# 08-010-14.

If your software level is below 14.02, you may need to upgrade that first. If this TSB does indeed pertain to your cruise control issue, the repair involves upgrading the software for the Steering Column Control Module. I have a screenshot of the TSB attached below.

DodgeCares,

Thank you for the information. For me when I turn on cruise there is no light and nothing happens. Could it be fuse? I checked but there is not fuse listed for cruise control. Also, about this TSB is it only possible thru dealership (they will charge 2 arms and 2 legs)?

Thank you!

DodgeCares,

Thank you for the information. For me when I turn on cruise there is no light and nothing happens. Could it be fuse? I checked but there is not fuse listed for cruise control. Also, about this TSB is it only possible thru dealership (they will charge 2 arms and 2 legs)?

Thank you!

Only possible through the dealership. It is just a software update, so the labor fee should be no more than 1 hour..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Journey. The dealer replaced my cruise control switch once, but I've been telling them for months it's not working again but they won't believe me. Once in a blue moon I can get the cruise control to turn on, then the cancel button won't work. I think my dealer is waiting for the warrantee to run out so I have to pay for it. I also told them over a year ago that my clock keeps gaining time, again they "don't have the disc to fix it". I'm thinking my next car is not going to be a Dodge/Chrysler product.

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Journey. The dealer replaced my cruise control switch once, but I've been telling them for months it's not working again but they won't believe me. Once in a blue moon I can get the cruise control to turn on, then the cancel button won't work. I think my dealer is waiting for the warrantee to run out so I have to pay for it. I also told them over a year ago that my clock keeps gaining time, again they "don't have the disc to fix it". I'm thinking my next car is not going to be a Dodge/Chrysler product.

Hello Carrie,

When you press the on button, does the light come on the instrument panel? For me the light does not even come on so I can not even do anything.

For you, since you have warranty, can you tell them to update the software as DodgeCares suggested above?

Sometimes the light comes on but most times it doesn't. The dealer doesn't believe me that it doesn't work because every time their mechanic tries it suddenly works. I find that sometimes if I get frustrated enough and just keep pressing the button it will come on, but not always. And sometimes it will come on if I just press and hold the button. I'm told that since the radio controls on the steering wheel work it's not a real problem.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi Carrie Peavey,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern. What is the longest your dealership has kept your vehicle when attempting to diagnose it? With an intermittent issue like this, they may need to hang onto it for a longer period of time in order to duplicate the concern.

• 5 months later...

If I will describe my problem it wont be as clear as in Carrie Peavey's post.. I'm experiencing both problems you mentioned... the dealer replaced the radio "according to him" after 5 visits each visit 3-4 hours and discover after each time they didn't replace anything (by their confession) until the last time and after calling Dodge Canada (over year ago) the dealer told me yes, this time sure we replaced the radio for you.. ok.. the problem fixed, but got another one which is the clock keep gaining time.. I didn't even go to the dealer since that time, because I don't trust plus the warranty is over.. the second problem which started and the car was still under warranty, the cruise on/off button doesn't work (as Carrie said) once in a blue moon (once in thousands attempts or once per week). isn't something frustrating and my car mileage still 59000 km I will try to go to the dealer for once again, if this not fixed, for sure my next car wont be Dodge.

If I will describe my problem it wont be as clear as in Carrie Peavey's post.. I'm experiencing both problems you mentioned... the dealer replaced the radio "according to him" after 5 visits each visit 3-4 hours and discover after each time they didn't replace anything (by their confession) until the last time and after calling Dodge Canada (over year ago) the dealer told me yes, this time sure we replaced the radio for you.. ok.. the problem fixed, but got another one which is the clock keep gaining time.. I didn't even go to the dealer since that time, because I don't trust plus the warranty is over.. the second problem which started and the car was still under warranty, the cruise on/off button doesn't work (as Carrie said) once in a blue moon (once in thousands attempts or once per week). isn't something frustrating and my car mileage still 59000 km I will try to go to the dealer for once again, if this not fixed, for sure my next car wont be Dodge.

Sounds reasonable... Get a Honda or a Toyota. They NEVER have problems. :hammer_self::fool:

Hi noobie! :noobie:

You do know that we send all the vehicles that fail post assembly inspections to Canada, right? :hysterical::congrats:

Edited by jkeaton

Just so you know, the time is not controlled by the radio. It only displays the time. The time is controlled by a module outside of the radio, but I don't remember the name of it.

• 1 year later...

My cruise control (2011 journey) was not working.  There was no indicator light.  Also, my traction control indicator light was on.  It turned out to be a faulty clock spring.  After replacing the clock spring, cruise control is working and traction control warning indicator light also went away.