Spark plugs

Lawdog1911

what is service first ? your manual will tell you when they need to be changed check with your dodge dealer not an aftermarket garage to have them changed i believe it is around 100 k is when the book says change them.....

Edited by 2late4u

I was at Service First for an oil change and they said I was supposed to have my spark plugs changed every 30k miles. I have 80k miles now. Is it true and if it is, why don't the last longer?

2.4L uses NGK ZFR5F-11 (Gap 0.044 in [1.12 mm]) copper core plugs which is why they don't last long. You could try switching them out to a platinum or iridium plug which will last longer but I usually like to stick with whatever is the original. Anyhow, the 4 cyl. is easy to replace plugs and cheap for copper core and done yourself. ;)

I am assuming you have the 4 cyl. and if so I would like to see pics of what the plugs look like after that long used. Has you noticed any difference in performance lately?

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I must be the only one that when I buy a used vehicle without an owners manual, the very first thing I do is buy one for it. How else are you going to know how to properly maintain your vehicle or how the various features are supposed to operate, etc? Oh wait, thats what forums are for, right?? Lol

Edited by jkeaton

• 2 weeks later...

The ease of maintenance is one of the reasons I wanted the 2.4. I've got a 2010 T&C with the old 3.8L, and that thing is going to be a monster to get the back 3 plugs. Copper core plugs are dirt cheap (NGK ZFR5F-11 priced on Amazon are $2 each). At $8 for a complete plug change, versus $26-$28 if you switch to platinum or iridium at 100,000 mile intervals, you're really not gaining anything (other than the half hour it would take to change them out). The first plug change I ever did was on a 2005 Cavalier (GMs 2.2 EcoTec - very solid engine). It took me about 2 hours due to taking my time and the throttle cable runs right over the coil pack, making it difficult to remove. The WGE 2.4 looks brain dead simple to swap out. Simple is good - it doesn't cost me anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, changing the plugs on the 2.4L is very easy. It now takes me about 20 minutes to complete the job and saves a ton of money. The OEM NGK's they use for this engine wear very quickly but they are cheap and work well. I used to have a Jeep Patriot with the same engine and changed the plugs on it as well :D.