AWD stuck on snowy hill

Xcavor

Hello all! I need some advice. I have a 2014 AWD Journey. Last night coming home it was snowing and i got stuck on the hill coming to my house. The road had 3 inches of snow on it unplowed. The hill isn't very steep but I wouldn't try to get up it without 4wd/awd. I didn't have much momentum coming up the hill because of a car that was driving slow that turned off right before the hill.

My Journey got stuck and whenever I would touch the gas the engine would bog down and i couldn't go anywhere. I would hear the tires screeching and then the engine would bog down. I called my brother who told me to turn off the ESP/traction control. I put the Journey in park and pushed the button and then it would allow me to get up to 35mph and would bog down again. It would say 35mph on the dash but i really wasn't going anywhere.

15mins later i was finally able to get to my house. A truck (nissan frontier) coming up the hill was able to stop next to me and ask me if i was ok. He then was able to continue to go while i was still stuck creeping up the hill.

Is there any advice someone could give me as to why my AWD Journey couldn't get up the hill? This is my first winter with the Journey. Previously i had a Ford Explorer 4x4 that i never had a problem on the hill in snowy conditions. Granted on the flat roads with snow the Journey handles perfect but didn't when i needed it to.

Sorry to be so long winded but im a girl and like to explain things in detail.

Details about the Journey: 2014, blackout edition, AWD, V6, black dodge rims,

As your brother said, next time it happens turn off the traction control again - AWD and traction control are different systems . . . the TC will reduce power to the drive train when you have a wheel free-spinning.

The problem is that if you are pushing the gas hard enough to spin the wheels, AWD won't really help because the power will because it will be bled to the slipping one.

Key to using AWD and TC systems is to be gentle and take advantage of whatever traction you may have.

And if you don't have snow tires yet, buy a set - - - -

Edited by bramfrank

I would agree with bramfrank... Sounds like after you turned the ESP off you may have been hitting the gas a little too aggressively. The DJ is not truly and AWD vehicle in that it only applies power to the rear wheels when it anticipates that it is needed. Next time turn it off as you are coming up to the hill and apply nice even pressure to the throttle. No need to park before turning it off, just hit the button. And try not to hit the throttle hard like you were used to in your Exploder as 4x4 is VERY different in how it behaves compared the the AWD system in the DJ. Good luck and let us know how it goes next time.