09 R/T vs 12 SXT

I'm going to buy a Journey soon... I've driven an 09 R/T with around 65,000 miles. It is sweet and LOADED. I'm going to drive a 12 SXT AWD tomorrow. Both are obviously V6 powered. The SXT already has a towing package installed, which is a plus for me occasionally pulling a landscape trailer or some PWC's. The R/T can be had for around $2000 less than the SXT. The R/T has around 65,000 miles and the asking price is $13,500. The SXT has around 45,000 miles and the asking price is around $16,000.

My questions is, is the 12 SXT a better vehicle than the 09 R/T because of the bigger engine and other refinements, or would I be better to get the older R/T? I've been leaning toward the 12 because of the AWD and the more powerful engine, but the R/T is just SO sweet... even if it is not as powerful.

Thoughts/suggestions for this newbie who will soon join you all as owners?

PB

Edited by Blount35121

Some people on this forum had great luck with their '09s

and they will attest to that fact.

The '12 has a great many refinements over '09 with the engine

being the most notable and the design/ride/interior coming right behind.

I personally would say that if you want satisfaction the '12 is best bet.

Welcome to the forum. I'd choose the Pentastar V6 over the weird style of the 3.5 V6. It has 24 valves, but is only SOHC. All mutivalve engines are DOHC. I'm nor sure why they would do this, other than to make the engine more narrow.

Thanks for these two replies... what you guys said was about what I expected. The R/T has several really cool items, but I had read that the 12 even in a lower trim level might be the way to go. Now if I can get them down to where I need them to be price wise...

The '12 has remaining powertrain warranty and may possibly qualify for an extended factory warranty if you plan to keep it (ONLY buy a factory warranty if you decide to)

LOTS of interior refinements, egine and transmission refinements and 3 years less corrosion on the newer one as well.

Bells and whistles are simply things that break.

Thank you all so much... I can definitely get the 09 into my price range, but not so sure about the 12. If one of the local dealers really makes me a good deal then I'll go that route. I'll get one or the other, but the 12 is at the top of the wish list.

PB

I have a 09 R/T and if it was me, I'd go with the 12 because 1: 09 was first year and had its issues(brakes, wire looms,power steering pumps/hoses/res). 2: the lifetime power train warranty on the 09 is original owner only 3: newer is worth more down the line. I have FWD but would take the AWD if I had the choice. All that being said, choose whichever you like best!

The dealer with the black 12 with the towing kit that I really wanted won't budge from $16,000, the internet price. There is a storm grey pearl (not a huge fan of grey) that the asking price for an AWD SXT with third row was $15.794 that will let me have for $15,000 OUT THE DOOR. I'm going to drive it Saturday. I'm going to call a couple of dealers farther away with black AWD SXT's if they would be willing to let one go for $15,000 out the door also. That's every penny I can spend, cash. Not financing anything. The 09 R/T can be had for $14,500 out the door. When I drove it, and we spent about 45 minutes, it stopped smooth as glass. I'll call about the door wiring and see what the salesman can find out.

Again, thank you all for ANY AND ALL comments pro or con.

Paul

Wait... n/m... forgot about the 4 speed auto... still, I'd like opinions on the 4 cylinder models... is the four speed auto really THAT bad? I've never owned a vehicle with more than 4 auto gears... yes, I drive them 'til they die, lol.

Edited by Blount35121

It'll be gutless in the 4. I haven't heard anyone on this forum say that they love the 4 cylinder and would never want the 6. There's no point to the 4, except that it's a slightly lower purchase price. Gas mileage seems to be the same between both engines...yet you get almost 100 extra HP in the 6.

Wait... n/m... forgot about the 4 speed auto... still, I'd like opinions on the 4 cylinder models... is the four speed auto really THAT bad? I've never owned a vehicle with more than 4 auto gears... yes, I drive them 'til they die, lol.

The only issue of 4 cylinders is that they are considerably under powered compared to the 3.6L. Other than that they are a pretty rock solid engine as I don't see to many complaints about them. I know that Bramfrank had the 4 cylinder so maybe he can chime in and give his opinion on them.

I had no real complaints about my '11 with the 4 cylinder - on the highway it won't fly by traffic you want to pass, but it is more than adequate for any sane speeds and for proper passing - and there is the marginally better gas mileage to consider (gas prices will be going back up at some point).

The 6 can be faster if you press the pedal to the floor, but for regular daily driving, both in town and on the highway the 4 is fine.

As to the AWD - I have written my posts on the topic - never needed it - and I used to drive into the mountains twice each weekend in the winter with all season tires and front wheel drive - I never got stuck and even used to get other people out of trouble - it is more about the driver than the number of powered wheels.

Like I said, our 4 was good for what it was. Yes, it was severely under powered for moving such a semi-big vehicle. It took awhile to get going, but once up in the RPM's, it moved pretty good. Just took awhile to get there. Lol. We took it on many trips, loaded with 5 passengers and luggage inside and in the roof carrier. I can honestly say, empty or fully loaded (sometimes overloaded) it felt the same and mileage never varied that much. The only thing I could not stand was off the line acceleration. You punched it and it eventually got there. Lol. I had to do some serious driving changes when we got the 2013 with the 3.6. If I punched it on this one like I did in the 09, I'd burn the front tires off (provided I turned the traction control off first). The 2.4 is a very capable and dependable engine, just know its limitations. It's not a burn out, screamer engine. It is more of a work horse in my humble opinion.

Now I'm afraid I'm going to go another route... my wife saw a black 2015 Crossroad today and fell in love with it... might end up financing after all. Yes, they are VERY nice, and brand new does have a nice sound to it. Been a long time since I had a totally brand new vehicle!