TSB: Idler Pulley Noise 2011-2014 3.6L

Any 2011-2014 3.6L owners having idler pulley noise during cold startup?

If so, a TSB was issued earlier this month...

TSB NUMBER: 07-002-15

GROUP: Cooling

DATE: January 07, 2015

SUBJECT: Idler Pulley Noise During Cold Start

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the idler pulley.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before September 01, 2014 equipped with 3.2L V6 24V VVT Engine (sales code EHB) or 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine (sales code ERB)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may describe a loud high frequency noise that happens within 20 seconds of engine startup and lasts about 90 seconds intermittently during a cold engine start, approximately 0 degrees C (32 degrees F) and below.

PARTS REQUIRED: p/n 05281301AA Idler Pulley

• Official Dodge Support

Would the idler pulley be part of the powertrain warranty? I do also have the extended warranty. I would like to get this done but I am not paying out of pocket for it.

Journey_SeXT,

Check with your local dealer, are you hearing the noise as well?

Incidentally I notice some odd sounds yesterday while the hood was open and the cold engine was running. Seemed to last a lot longer than I'm used to, a few minutes.

Wasn't high pitched though, it sounded more like a louder lifter tap. I figured it sounded louder simply because the hood and hood insulator were upright, and not blocking the sound coming from the engine bay.

• 2 months later...

Took DJ in yesterday for a couple items prior to 3 year warranty expire in April. Dealer replaced the tension idler pulley (lots in stock - common problem I guess). I just printed the bulletin posted above. Also, ordered a new fuel pump to address the fuel indicator never going to FULL mark, another TSB issue. Made note of the hard shift / clunk issue but that is under the 5 year warranty. Fortunately, unfortunately the replaced brake pads / rotors still good (LOL)., no replacements.

I printed out the TSB. I'll take it in to my dealer. I have not started mine for over a week. I was in the Hospital, and can not drive for another 5 days. So, I went out and started it. and it makes a sound like the power steering pump is going bad! It is definitely a rotational noise.

The 3.6 has an inherent moaning-type sound upon cold start. Mine is particularly loud. My experience has been that the sound is louder in transverse applications like the Journey and the minivans. The Grand Cherokee, Durango and 300/Charger have a longitudinal engine orientation, and for some reason the moan is not as loud in those cars. It is not the same sound as the idler pulley in the TSB. That is a high-pitched screech or whistle-type sound which usually only lasts a few seconds; maybe more in extreme cold. Also, in extreme cold startups, the power steering pump does make a short-duration sound, similar to a low-fluid condition. The manual states that this sound is normal due to the high viscosity of the fluid at low temps. The moaning sound that I describe lasts a couple of minutes, then it is gone once the engine begins to warm up. I have been monitoring STAR cases and TSB's to identify the source but none have surfaced yet. Apparently it is not a mechanical issue since everything still works perfectly on my engine with 34,000 miles now. It has not gotten any worse, either.

Edited by Journeyman425

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took my DJ in yesterday for radio problem and also took the TSB so they can replace the pulley and they told me that they have to wait for colder weather to replicate the problem. I could hear that high pitch noise when it was very cold, but I thought its was the alternator until I saw the TSB. Now I have to wait until next winter for them to look at it. What a pain!!!

Took my DJ in yesterday for radio problem and also took the TSB so they can replace the pulley and they told me that they have to wait for colder weather to replicate the problem. I could hear that high pitch noise when it was very cold, but I thought its was the alternator until I saw the TSB. Now I have to wait until next winter for them to look at it. What a pain!!!

So unnecessary on their part. It's a known issue and they will get paid by the factory to replace the part. as long as you're within the provisions of the basic warranty.