Gassing up problem...

Potlicquor

Wondering if anyone has same problem with gassing up their Dodge Journey? Every time I gas up I have to go super slow, just barely squeezing the handle lever on the gas pump hose or otherwise the pump hose keeps clicking off. Tried relocating hose nozzle deeper in filler neck, half way in and almost out of filler neck on DJ to no avail... keeps clicking off and have to restart fueling again, any ideas? It is a 2015 DJ Crossroad V6 just bought new less than 300 miles. I know it is covered under warranty and will be checked out and fixed by dealer, just would like to know if I'm the Lone Ranger with this issue, thanks.

I'm curious if this happens at all gas stations, or if it is limited to a single station (or maybe a handful of stations)... I don't have the issue on my 14, but from time to time it will happen when I use a certain shaped nozzle at a gas station I don't typically visit. Even then though, I can get it to fill, I just need to fidget with it a bit to find the right angle. I think it has something to do with the angle of the nozzle in relation to the filler tube...

• Official Dodge Support

Will be taking to dealer and demonstrate the problem to service manager for sure... I have no doubt they will fix it, but shouldn't be happening and was seeing if this is a new (2015) DJ issue just coming to the surface ?

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with your new Journey. Please keep us posted on the dealer's findings.

The early Dodge Nitros suffered this same thing. Dodge finally earned enough mad customers that a recall was put out for a whole gas tank replacement. Whatever the problem was, it was not an easy fix; so, the whole tank was replaced. Good luck to you. My 2014 has never shown signs of this.

Don't know if any changes were made to the gas tank and/or associated items from the 2014 DJ models so should not be an issue if 2014's are not doing it. I'm thinking somebody forgot to attach or mount or adjust something related to the venting of the tank (hose collapsed, damaged or missing, clamp too tight, bad connection or similar)?

Well... have to take the DJ back to dealer when the fuel level gets to a half a tank, took it in with over 3/4 tank and they won't try to duplicate the issue with that much fuel in the tank. I have problems with the fuel nozzle clicking off at virtually any level of fuel in the tank but I will take it back shortly as advised.

I have a 2015 Crossroad and have just started noticing that it's either shutting off the pump early or the gauge isn't reading full. I fill up and the gauge reads about 3/4 - 7/8. Seems to have progressively worsened lately. Will take it in and see what they say. Will also try a few different gas stations to see if it's in the nozzle design. Good luck on getting yours fixed.

• 2 months later...

Haven't returned to dealer with gassing up issue as yet... medical issues over ride leaving vehicle in shop for day or two as of yet but have just been turning gas nozzle to different angles and 'slow' go pumping gas still. Will definetly post results when done, thanks.

Mine shows full after gassing up but it takes about four times as long and the nozzle clicks off many many times before it it gets full, dealer wants me to bring it in when it only has about a half tank full so they can duplicate the problem and go from there!

my 2014 is better than my 2011 journey was about the gas . but like some others say i put the gas in as slow as i can and tilt the handle a little bit and when getting full if i want to top it off i pull the pump out almost to the little flap that you can see inside the opening and fill it some more but usually i don't do that as i have heard you can get flow back into the gas vapor recirculation system. my gauge will show a full tank more than my 2011 would....

Edited by 2late4u

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Today I took the DJ to the dealer and dropped it off for them to investigate the gassing up problem I've had since purchase. I wasn't able to drop it off and leave it overnight or for a few days until now so that's the reason for such a long delay in getting the problem addressed (and fixed I surely hope). The first time I took it in it was 7/8 full and they wanted me to bring it back when it was about 1/2 full so the technician can try and duplicate the problem in order to try and fix it. Journeyman425 has been a great resource to many of us here on this forum/blog and I want to publicly thank him for his willingness to be of assistance! I will post an update on the results and findings of my gassing up problem as soon as I find out anything, have a good day all.

Well, you'll probably get the same TSB fix to the fuel module that doesn't really fix anything! Many of us had the TSB done, and still have the problem of only gassing up to 7/8 full.

I personally think it's a fuel gauge problem. I've ran the vehicle for ~30 miles after the low fuel light came on. Then gassed up 19 gallons of fuel (20.5 gallon tank). But the gauge still shows 7/8 full. I think we really are using the full gas tank, just the gauge is off...

Another update: dealer service advisor said the mechanic determined my 2015 DJ has a bad 'filler neck' on the gas tank area and they ordered a replacement from either Tenn. / Ohio and it will take about ten days (?) to get to the dealer for replacement! So, that's what has been done thus far but the real deal will be to see if it takes gas normally after the replacement filler neck installation! Next update will be awhile...

• 3 weeks later...

Final update (I hope) on this gassing up problem: took the DJ to my dealer who removed the original gas tank Filler Neck/Tube and replaced it with a new OEM replacement as the original was virtually blocked with unknown whatever and was bent/dented/flattened stopping it from letting the gas tank vent to allow gas to go into gas tank while gassing up. I went straight to a gas station and filled it up with no problems... even set the pump handle on auto fill and it didn't click stop until tank was filled, Amen!

I would be concerned with whatever was blocking it: unknown whatever. What if whatever it was could be broken down by gas, and thus enter the tank and fuel system? You need to know exactly what it was. Could have been a piece of Agave Plant because the guy installing the filler tubes on the line didn't want to get caught making tequila on the line.