Told I had to wait a week for service.

PapaG

My wife took our '14 Journey to a Dodge dealer to have it checked out. No code, just a personal feeling happening. She was told it would be a week before she could have it in the shop by the service writer. It was the Saturday after Christmas. Now this seems like doo doo to me. Everyone that I know in the business it is very slow in December. The service writer is a woman so I would think that should not be a man talking down to a woman like they do not know cars.

When I did this kind of work it was always a hard time as a mechanic working on commission. I worked for factory dealer ships (Pontiac-GMC-Honda) iin the late 60's and 70' then independent shops till mid 80's.

I know it is different times too. My nephew works at a Dodge.... and is a diesel mechanize where he gets paid a lesser $ per flat rate hour but it is commission too. Not the 50% I made. But it is a very slow time of year for him.

She was at where my son works outside parts sales there. Mom said this to him and he went and got someone to look at it. We should not have to do this to get our car checked out.

It was for the engine stumbling when braking hard and lack of power on hilly roads. My brother which is a retired dealer mechanic where we grew up in a small town, said the same thing and he only retired a few years ago. He was with on a extended trip to see both my kids.

The service writers used to get a little commission on the work orders they wrote but I do not know if that is the same or not.. I would guess that is not the same.

Why? We did not buy it their but we were 1 1/2 hrs from home, PS: they did not find anything... I posted on the studding here not long ago and people said to take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

Just more disappionted than mad.

Edited by PapaG

Would you rather drop it off and have it sit there for a week before they look at it, or keep driving it to see if it becomes more pronounced or perhaps goes away? Not every dealer has room, or enough help, to get everyone in right now. Bigger issues come first. Myself, I would rather have my car and keep driving it. If it blows up, it's on them anyway. I understand you might have wanted faster service, but your car was operating ok, you just "felt something". How about the guy who's car won't start, run, move at all? In the end, it was checked and found to be ok, which is good!

Just my 2 cents worth.

You are correct. But I still say the dealer was not that busy. If they were that busy, my son could not have gotten someone to look at. Where he worked the back counter a few may have owed him a favor or two. The studdering on braking has happened for quite some time. That could be a safety issue. Dodge would not have been happy if we had a wreck after the dealer not looking at because they were busy. Yes I did not leave it for a week but they did look at and we have the paper work on that..... But do not kid your self that they would have not heard about... If I rear ended someone because of some brake problem that may never be identified, guess who they would go after too. This is one of the Largest Dealers in Houston.

Never going to drop it off and leave it a week unless it is a major thing.... I had better service from a Saturn dealer...Repaired a headlight switch on the service line while I watched, Even on a transmission warranty replacement in a week, and my Chevy Equinox transmission repair under warranty 1 day.... Also a spark plug wire replacement.

I had hoped Dodge would be the same. My Jeep liberty service was good, that is one place my son worked the back parts counter too..... I do remember my new VW service too. Good service too.

This could effect them too. At least Dodge and Chrysler finance. Not my point BUT. I would buy another one.

Texas Lemon Law.

How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

• twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
  • twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

• once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
  • once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.

The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

Edited by PapaG

My wife is knowledgeable about cars. When I had my own shop she would help me if I was working late... Brake jobs, engine swaps, transmission swaps, engine service. You name it... She was faster than me on flat tire replacement on the road side... she finally made me get out of the way :) ... No flat changing for me when I was in the car with her. She would ride with me on seeing front end problems, could see on front alinement problems and say what needed to be done.

They did look at, but it still took other intervention. I guess I am not super pissed.. But as I write about this it is making me mad some.

Thanks folks for letting me vent!!!!

Edited by PapaG

I live in a rural town. There is not a lot to do. I don't hunt anymore, or fish... No employment, unless you want to be a Walt-mart greeter(NOT) maybe a burger joint(I don't look good in a skirt lol). So I have my dogs, DirectTV, yard work, the INTERNET and the occasional doctor visit..... It sucks. I need something to do. My fault I guess.... Other than that it is ok. I can stay up as late as I want, sleep as late as I want till my wife 3ithces at me... She still works.

I did computer work for the last 30 years and mechanic work for 20 years before that. The local PC place is full with their own staff. I have not tried the dealership. I did try my garage that I use on everything new out of warranty... Too long after my experience too much electronics that I have not worked on. He is full anyway. Small shop.. I do work on my Luv trucks but they do not need much. The V8 could if I could spend a lot of money $$$ on it. Bigger engine, make my current engine hotter where I could not drive it on the street with out RACE GAS. My big truck depending on what it is. Not much for electronics on it. But all of that is not often. I brother has my Cherokee. His Suburban has lone ago seen its better days.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but it really not much to do.

papa, I had to retire early and love it, that's why I asked. I do a lot of volunteer work, mostly with the animal shelter. Guardian ad litem is another thing I like volunteering for, court cases where you represent the children, it's more taxing than just walking dogs, but rewarding. I just wondered why you felt that way about retirement, I was brought to retirement kicking and screaming, now I like it, I like it too much. I figure once I move it'll be even better. I'll be standing on the beach teaching children how to swim out of a riptide. life is good!