Front End "Clunk" while Braking Over Bumps

Hoping you guys can help me... the Wife's 2014 AWD RT has been at the Dealership since Monday because of a clunk or squeak when the brakes are applied and the suspension is activated by a dip or bump in the road. Essentially if you're braking for a traffic light and you slowly pass over a bump it makes a noise. It started at about 12k miles and has gotten progressively worse.

In true form the dealer "test drove" it and couldn't replicate it so tried to send us away without a fix. I took the service manager out and within 30 sec I was able to replicate it over a sewer grate in their parking lot. I just got a "hmm that's not normal" but haven't heard a peep since then.

We have a 2012 SXT as a rental and it does the exact same thing, which makes me believe this isn't an isolated issue. Has anyone had this issue with their Journey? Any fix?

EDIT: I realize I used the incorrect "braking" in the subject. I can't edit the subject line - oops lol

Edited by JRodMTB

i hear a slight clunk when hitting certain bumps or pot holes,hardly hear it and haven't been worried about it, same as the trans every once in a while will make a noise going from park to drive or reverse. not bad enough to complain about

Mine makes various clunks depending on what driving conditions. Not too concerned about it. I don't drive the vehicle enough to be able to replicate the sounds. So I'm not ready for a dealer visit yet. One of these days when the wife starts complaining about it I will look into it in more detail.

• Official Dodge Support

My 2014 LTD dose the same going over speed bumps sounds like the front struts making noise rest of time it's fine ??

ltdjourney,

Do you find this noise is more pronounced under certain conditions, such as colder weather?

I'd recommend getting your Journey to your dealer when you have a chance and duplicate the issue for them.

This may simply be a characteristic of the vehicle, worth a look though.

Interesting that there are others that have a similiar issue. My wifes RT only does it when the brakes are applied - but yeah, a speed bump would most definitely cause it to make a noise. Hopefully this is an isolated issue but the 2012 SXT we have makes the same noise.

Talked to the dealer this morning and they have a new strut on order, which they believe will fix it. They've had it over a week, so I'm crossing my fingers...

• 1 month later...
  • Official Dodge Support

My 2010 journey makes a cluck noies sounds like the fronte end is falling out had it check couldn't find anything wrong with the car any one have any ideas what could be the problem

Linda Palfrey,

Under what conditions are you hearing the noises in the front end?

You mentioned your Journey was inspected, was this at a Dodge dealer?

Well, four weeks later and the car is going back because the issue isn't fixed. We've had a new strut, new sway bar bushings and brand new brakes replaced. Car was ok for 3 days and the issue came back. And it's gotten worse. Now the clunk occurs over bumps without breaking. It's so frustrating. I talked my wife into choosing a Dodge over a Chevy or Ford and feel bad. The dealer had her vehicle for 3 weeks.

DodgeCACares do you not have state side people that do what you do?

Well, four weeks later and the car is going back because the issue isn't fixed. We've had a new strut, new sway bar bushings and brand new brakes replaced. Car was ok for 3 days and the issue came back. And it's gotten worse. Now the clunk occurs over bumps without breaking. It's so frustrating. I talked my wife into choosing a Dodge over a Chevy or Ford and feel bad. The dealer had her vehicle for 3 weeks.

ill hold my tongue on this one....

You should feel bad. EVERYONE knows that Chevy and Ford make every single vehicle perfect and that they are the only manufacturer that is not subject to mechanical failure. Well, at least in America. All of those Japanese manufacturers do the same thing. Dodge's will always fail prematurely and the metal they use just won't hold up. I bet you'll never make that mistake again! :hammer_self:

EDIT: Or...just maybe your dealer is an idiot. Just a thought. There is only so much that can clunk over a bump...

Edited by Lobitz68

• Official Dodge Support

Hi JRodMTB,

I am DodgeCACares U.S. counterpart. Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this concern. Is your vehicle currently with you or at the dealership? If you would like to PM me your VIN, I can look into this further for you.

Hoping you guys can help me... the Wife's 2014 AWD RT has been at the Dealership since Monday because of a clunk or squeak when the brakes are applied and the suspension is activated by a dip or bump in the road. Essentially if you're braking for a traffic light and you slowly pass over a bump it makes a noise. It started at about 12k miles and has gotten progressively worse.

In true form the dealer "test drove" it and couldn't replicate it so tried to send us away without a fix. I took the service manager out and within 30 sec I was able to replicate it over a sewer grate in their parking lot. I just got a "hmm that's not normal" but haven't heard a peep since then.

We have a 2012 SXT as a rental and it does the exact same thing, which makes me believe this isn't an isolated issue. Has anyone had this issue with their Journey? Any fix?

EDIT: I realize I used the incorrect "braking" in the subject. I can't edit the subject line - oops lol

Lower Suspension arm bushes / tie rod end / lower ball joint and/or shock absorber :P

one of those imo easy to check, take the wheel of and see if theres any play in the joints with a bar

• 1 month later...

I'M HAVING THE SAME ISSUES!!!!! 2014 SXT AWD 22,300 MILES. Bought "certified" at 18,900 miles. I go to pick it up tomorrow at 7:30 AM from the dealership. Claimed they heard nothing the other 2 times I brought it in. Called the GM to have a dodge technician ride in my journey with me. Said he could "kind of" hear something.

They were replacing the suspension bushings and are working on replacing the control arm bushings but they are on back order. Could be 3 days to 3 weeks they said...

I'll update in the AM!

Two years ago I had a clunk noise in mine going over small bumps or turning into driveway. They told me it was the tie rod had a very small amount of play in it , they replaced it and noise was gone . Now it`s back again , I checked the tie rods and again there is just a small amount of play in them, going with after market ones this time maybe last a little longer .

No control arm bushings yet. I'm too scared to take my vehicle to Chicago for 3 days with my children in it. Too much highway driving for me with a possible suspension problem. The dealership has made me feel like a whine ass about finding the bushing noises in the first place.

We are going to ask the dealership GM for a rental since our car isn't more than 3 months post sale OR 23,000 miles. Doubt it will happen though. Sucks well prob rent a car due to lack of faith in the dealerships dodge technician.