touch screen not working

• 7 months later...

I'm new here, searched and searched and searched for a topic likes this. And since I know nothing about forums I ended up on one for 'navigation' systems and it was kindly suggested I get off there and find the proper topic :). So I'm very glad to have come across this one. I have a 2012 Journey and my touch screen also went blank. Exact same as jeffinva from the above posting. I see dhh3 has posted a suggestion in regards to t disconnecting the negative terminal for a 1/2 hour or so. Do you mean the negative post on the battery? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I'm kind of flying solo on this (and female) so want to make sure I have that straight. Jeffinva did you try that suggestion and did you have any results? Or what did you end up doing with your issue? Thanks!

I'm new here, searched and searched and searched for a topic likes this. And since I know nothing about forums I ended up on one for 'navigation' systems and it was kindly suggested I get off there and find the proper topic :). So I'm very glad to have come across this one. I have a 2012 Journey and my touch screen also went blank. Exact same as jeffinva from the above posting. I see dhh3 has posted a suggestion in regards to t disconnecting the negative terminal for a 1/2 hour or so. Do you mean the negative post on the battery? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I'm kind of flying solo on this (and female) so want to make sure I have that straight. Jeffinva did you try that suggestion and did you have any results? Or what did you end up doing with your issue? Thanks!

Jeffinva posted once 6 months ago, doubt he is actively on the boards to answer your question. You can try disconnecting the negative terminal and see what happens. Use the jump terminal located on the strut tower in the engine bay. The actual battery is in the wheel well and tough to get at.

As a side note, do you have any warranty left? If so, my next step would be taking it to the dealer.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Kane said:

Forget those telling you to disconnect the negative terminal- it’s a pain... remove the fuse for the radio for half an hour... does the same thing and works like a charm...

Much easier for me to open the hood and turn a wrench than it is to try and contortion myself in order to see which fuse needs to come out from under the glove box. But, to each his own. 

• 1 year later...

My screen is fully black after giving jump starts. I could not adjust fan speed, temp., A/C, etc. and the full screen is black. I tried pressing the CD eject button (even I dont have CD inside and I barely use CD) it turns the screen back and all other climate control functions back instantly. Worth a try

Did you check the fuse?  Maybe blew when you jumped it.  I blow a fuse for my drivers lighted mirror and Homelink installing a new Bluetooth mic.  Wires look fine but it blew anyway.  Since changed it’s fine.  Who knows what electrical gremlins live in these cars......???

12 hours ago, Ngrrox said:

My screen is fully black after giving jump starts. I could not adjust fan speed, temp., A/C, etc. and the full screen is black. I tried pressing the CD eject button (even I dont have CD inside and I barely use CD) it turns the screen back and all other climate control functions back instantly. Worth a try

... After giving jump starts? sounds like the car wont crank under normal conditions too?

I give this advice more often than I should, 

But:

(This  is the band-aid of fixes)

1) 30 minute reset:

Disconnect the Neg terminal where it bolts to the body, there is a lovely plastic holder FCA designed for this exact purpose of holding the Neg line away from the body. 

Let sit 30+ minutes, then plug it back in. Issue temperately solved?

(This is the 'what worked for me' fix)

2) Consider changing the Battery, before going crazy with the What-ifs? of the internet.

When the battery is anything less than 90% (figurative) health, the Electrical Gremlins show up- I'm serious. Everything from frozen, to totally off, touchscreens. (or volume knob that says 'time for max volume') wireless key warnings, Bluetooth failing to connect, the gauges at 140mph and 9k revs while the TPMS light is on.... all while the engine struggles to maintain even a foot-on-gas idle...and the stutters to death.... 

Took mine on a "what do i have to lose" trip to goodyear, and for $165 or so out the door I had a new battery and a car that's gone 30k miles without a single electrical gremlin.--- 

Mine's a 2011 Crew, with the 4.8" mini touchscreen.

Best of luck

Edited by NavalLacrosse