Sirius Travel Link will not populate or update in new 2015 Journey RT

We just upgraded/purchased a new 2015 Dodge Journey RT as an upgrade from our 2013 Journey Crew.

We have found an interesting problem and so far have been unable to resolve it.

The Sirius Travel Link will not populate or update. No matter what we have done or what instructions we have followed, we continue to get no data populating in our Travel Link.

What is interesting is that the Sirius Traffic is working as well as the GPS and the regular Satellite radio functionality.

I have called Sirius Customer Service twice. The first time I confirmed that our subscription was properly moved over from the 2013 Journey to the new 2015 Journey and both the Sirius Traffic and Sirius Travel Link data services were turned on and we were subscribed to them. I was told to wait about 10 to 15 minutes and it would populate just fine and it didn't.

I called Sirius Customer Service back a second time and they checked my subscription info and told be everything was fine. They proceeded to tell me that they would re-authorize the unit and once they did, after 10 to 15 minutes it would populate. While still on the phone with the customer service rep, after 15 minutes still nothing happened. Then rep gave me this excuse that since I was calling from the UConnect Bluetooth that my iPhone was connected to. He said that was the problem.

He then instructed me to disconnect my iPhone and shut down the bluetooth and turn the radio off and on and wait 10 to 15 minutes and it would update. Of course as expected, nothing happened and it still is not updating.

Has anyone seen this before?

Any clue what the problem is or how to get it fixed?

I just hate going into the service center and telling them what the problem is with no idea or clue how fix it or how it might be fixed.

The two thoughts I had were that it needed a firmware update or the data receiver is not plugged into the antenna right or it isn't working right.

Really could use any suggestions that anyone has here. Would sure like to get it working for the wife!

I do not have Travel Link, but I feel for you when it comes to Sirius Customer Service. I put an RBZ mygig from a 2014 T&C into my Nitro. The radio had a one year free subscription still on it (dealer take out), so they gave it to me. I transferred my account from my Nitro to my DJ, so I should have 1.5 years of free subscription.

Last time I looked, I have 3 accounts from previous vehicles that I have transferred. Now I should have 1 account, but I am constantly barraged by "we want you back". "You can listen to your radio again for free" I'm tired of calling them, talking to people that can't speak English. I'm just going to sit back and wait and see what happens next June.

I received a bill for .55 cents, but I have no idea what radio this was for! LOL

• Official Dodge Support

We just upgraded/purchased a new 2015 Dodge Journey RT as an upgrade from our 2013 Journey Crew.

We have found an interesting problem and so far have been unable to resolve it.

The Sirius Travel Link will not populate or update. No matter what we have done or what instructions we have followed, we continue to get no data populating in our Travel Link.

What is interesting is that the Sirius Traffic is working as well as the GPS and the regular Satellite radio functionality.

I have called Sirius Customer Service twice. The first time I confirmed that our subscription was properly moved over from the 2013 Journey to the new 2015 Journey and both the Sirius Traffic and Sirius Travel Link data services were turned on and we were subscribed to them. I was told to wait about 10 to 15 minutes and it would populate just fine and it didn't.

I called Sirius Customer Service back a second time and they checked my subscription info and told be everything was fine. They proceeded to tell me that they would re-authorize the unit and once they did, after 10 to 15 minutes it would populate. While still on the phone with the customer service rep, after 15 minutes still nothing happened. Then rep gave me this excuse that since I was calling from the UConnect Bluetooth that my iPhone was connected to. He said that was the problem.

He then instructed me to disconnect my iPhone and shut down the bluetooth and turn the radio off and on and wait 10 to 15 minutes and it would update. Of course as expected, nothing happened and it still is not updating.

Has anyone seen this before?

Any clue what the problem is or how to get it fixed?

I just hate going into the service center and telling them what the problem is with no idea or clue how fix it or how it might be fixed.

The two thoughts I had were that it needed a firmware update or the data receiver is not plugged into the antenna right or it isn't working right.

Really could use any suggestions that anyone has here. Would sure like to get it working for the wife!

I would contact the dealer as they can contact Sirius to address this issue for you.

I sent and Email to Chrysler Customer Care and they also pointed me back at the dealer.

I am in Ohio, not Canada.

I have spoken to the dealer and we are going to drop the Journey R/T off and see what they can figure out.

According to my understanding at this point, there are only a couple of things it could be and unless they have a firmware flash that will resolve the issue, the next step will be to replace the unit.

I have spent over 3 1/2 hours on the phone with Sirius and that went no here. In the end they said it would only be one of three things. 1 -- Some sort of connection issue for data in the harness or antenna, 2 - The unit needs a firmware update of some type. 3 - The unit is actually defective for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue in my next 15 DJ Crossroad. We just got it on the 12th and I have not had much time to look into it. I did speak with Sirius and they said to give it 10 mins and it would start working. Obviously this is just a canned answer to get you off the phone. Plan to contact the dealer tomorrow to find out if they have any info. Let me know if you come across anything in your search for a solution.

Just spoke with the dealership. I am taking it in next Fri. (first time I could work it out) to have a look. Service writer said that they will flash the radio with the most current software, and if that doesn't work will diagnose what is going on. She seemed pretty certain a software flash would fix the issue. So, we will see. I will update what happens as soon as I get it back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It isn't likely to be a hardware issue - if it can receive anything from SXM then it can receive everything.

But it is most likely a corrupted memory location - the unit would need to be re-initialised and I have no idea whether this is something that can be done in the field.

The new radio will resolve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

My crossroad did not have the most current as it did not show any updates available. So I used a vin from a 2014 and got an updated firmware that was more current than the one it originally came with.

Yup I just updated my unit now but travel link is still broken.

It isn't likely to be a hardware issue - if it can receive anything from SXM then it can receive everything.

But it is most likely a corrupted memory location - the unit would need to be re-initialised and I have no idea whether this is something that can be done in the field.

The new radio will resolve the issue.

I would think an update would reinitialize the system since it overwrites the firmware and reboots the unit. That didn't appear to resolve the travel link issue though.

Million dollar question....the weather feature doesn't seem to populate on mines, but I don't know if it's because I don't have nav or since it's on a trial basis that may or may not be fully activated. I know that some guys have had these issues too, but I think that the even though you are transferring any existing service the one year promo trumps everything else.

• Official Dodge Support

Travel Link displaying "No Data Available" looks like a documented issue that requires a new radio to repair. If you take your vehicle to a dealership, they should be able to order a new radio and resolve the issue.

Travel Link displaying "No Data Available" looks like a documented issue that requires a new radio to repair. If you take your vehicle to a dealership, they should be able to order a new radio and resolve the issue.

Thanks for the info!! I'll call the dealer in the morning!

• 2 weeks later...

I would think an update would reinitialize the system since it overwrites the firmware and reboots the unit. That didn't appear to resolve the travel link issue though.

If it reinitialised the system your settings, favourites and such would be lost and the radio locked - and they are not.

That is where the problem probably lies - something messes up the operating parameters and there's no way to do a full factory default in the field. So all the updating in the world isn't going to help.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard to write a program that would copy the key variables (Sirius ID, Garmin ID, Radio S/N and such) to temporary memory, erase everything and then reflash the radio with the data that would be found in the program key - then they'd have to enter the unlock code, reinstall the maps and THEN you'd have a factory fresh radio.

uConnect has a few such stupidities - like the locked Gracenotes database for which no there seems to be no way to update without going into the radio and electrically interfacing with the circuitry - and that involves soldering to the board from what I've read) - so unless your newest music (as in since about 2011) has album art and proper tags, IT won't get the treatment, while albums from the 1950s do.

• 2 weeks later...