Can't Unlock Maps

9 hours ago, RetiredLEO said:

The question again is will it recognize updated maps?

Call your dealer, but he'll be clueless and the FCA support people are either just as clueless, or are refusing to admit they have issues for whatever reason.

The problem, as you know is that one of the map files is corrupt, likely due to a hardware design issue and the recall, which only updated the firmware in the unit, but did nothing about the hardware was a useless (and expensive) placebo.

Reloading/updating the maps will being the unit back to life.

But, if you just bought the vehicle from a dealer, shouldn't the selling dealer have given you at least a short warranty?  Let him fix the problem this time..

Edited by bramfrank

The dealer we bought it from is not Dodge, and sold as-is.

Contacted the Dodge dealership and the service guy was clueless. He told me my Journey had R65 in July but did not know if FCA would repair it again under the recall.  I called FCA Recall using the number on the R65 notice and the rep said that recurring failure was covered.

Amazing they don't realize the fix isn't working.

• 5 weeks later...

Our 2015 Crossroad has just suffered the "can't unlock maps" fate. 

After reading this thread, I have a few questions.

1. Would buying and uploading new maps from Uconnect fix my problem(which I seem to gather is a possible data corruption of the map data)?  Before the problem started, I was thinking of updating the maps sometime soon anyways.

2. How do I determine the radio version that is our Crossroad?  I saw bramfrank's post above, but I was unsuccessful when I tried it.  Granted, I was in hurrya nd didn't have too much time to attempt different times.  My ? is:  what position is the ignition when holding the buttons?  and does it matter what screen is selected on the display when starting to hold the buttons?

Thanks for any information you folks can offer,

John

It isn't a 'possible' data corruption issue.  It is a definite 'data corruption issue'.

I am not aware of any newer maps than the mid 2014 ones available from FCA for the navigator, and updating (or replacing) them using their media is a $250 'hit or miss' proposition because the DVD player often goes out of alignment - the player is good enough for music and video, since they don't require perfect decoding to work, but data for updating is another story.

The radio version requires that you access the dealer menu, but the supposedly important one is the navigator version - if you have CTP16/6.22 (which you can see as the nav function boots up) then you have the latest radio firmware, since CTP16 requires the radio to be at 15.09.D1 . . . .not that the latest versions solve the problem that leads to the 'can't unlock maps' issue.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier about this. I called U Connect and that is who will likely give you the most accurate info. They told me the update is the issue. My car was can't open maps shortly after the update and only then. They replaced the unit with a remanufactured under warranty and that one is acting up in other ways. The command "find address" gives me a few contacts in instead. This has happened 6 - 8 times and requires me to turn off the system or the ignition and it goes away. This never happened before the remanufactured unit.

49 minutes ago, Journeyphenia said:

I posted earlier about this. I called U Connect and that is who will likely give you the most accurate info. They told me the update is the issue. My car was can't open maps shortly after the update and only then. They replaced the unit with a remanufactured under warranty and that one is acting up in other ways. The command "find address" gives me a few contacts in instead. This has happened 6 - 8 times and requires me to turn off the system or the ignition and it goes away. This never happened before the remanufactured unit.

I went back and had a look at your previous post - the person you spoke with at uConnect was wrong, and the information was less than accurate, because they get all their information from scripts.  Unless management gives them information to the contrary yours will be one of the very few with problems, or they'll blame an update or some other such nonsense.

If your replacement radio is acting up start by doing a full reset - pull one of the battery leads and let the vehicle sit without power for a half hour or so and then reconnect the battery.  If that doesn't resolve the issue then have the dealer swap the radio out again.

On 11/2/2016 at 4:49 AM, bramfrank said:

...using their media is a $250 'hit or miss' proposition because the DVD player often goes out of alignment - the player is good enough for music and video, since they don't require perfect decoding to work, but data for updating is another story.

Just curious is all, if someone were to have the issue with DVD player alignment, could they just simply copy the data from the disc on a desktop computer to a USB stick and then perform the map update?

1 hour ago, Milous said:

Just curious is all, if someone were to have the issue with DVD player alignment, could they just simply copy the data from the disc on a desktop computer to a USB stick and then perform the map update?

Interesting question . . . . Can anyone who may have a copy send me an image of the directory structure on the DVD?

On 11/2/2016 at 5:49 AM, bramfrank said:

I am not aware of any newer maps than the mid 2014 ones available from FCA for the navigator

I have been watching this debacle unravel. . .   While I have not had this "Can't Unlock Maps" issue on my 2011, I do indeed have a 2016 map update for my Nav unit.  I can't remember, but I believe I purchased directly from Garmin.  

I hope I do not have this issue on my 8.4N unit.  

Peace.

52 minutes ago, redtomatoman said:

I have been watching this debacle unravel. . .   While I have not had this "Can't Unlock Maps" issue on my 2011, I do indeed have a 2016 map update for my Nav unit.  I can't remember, but I believe I purchased directly from Garmin.  

I hope I do not have this issue on my 8.4N unit.  

Peace.

I'm not saying I have mid 2014 maps on MY unit, just that FCA doesn't supply anything newer.

If you ever do have the issue you can simply reload your unit and restore it to operation.

44 minutes ago, redtomatoman said:

Just for fun, I went to the Uconnect update site to see what it would say for my vehicle, and I found this update for my 2011:

Update 1: UCONNECT®8.4_MY11_DODGE_RADIO_15_17_19_RE2_RE3_RE6_RB4_RB5_RB6
Service Bulletin ID: 08-055-15 Release Date: 2014-09-15

Should I do this update???   

Peace.

If it's working to your satisfaction then there's no overriding reason to mess with it since it only impacts on the radio itself and not the navigator.

In fact I'm a bit surprised it only offered you a radio update and not one for the navigator.

• 3 weeks later...

2015 R/T.   Nav has been working great until last week.    I see R65 was performed on my vehicle last Jan 2016 even tho I was not having nav issues back then.  The dealer must have seen my vehicle was included and performed it - kudos for that..  And yet the 'can't unlock maps' error happened last week.  At the dealer now to fix.

So if I'm understanding this thread, a map reload should bring me back to normal operation, and is preferred over a radio swap which may get me an old radio running older firmware than what I have now. 

So if they do reload maps (not convinced they will) this could happen again, since R65 has been done last Jan.  Does this sound right?

First of all they will not reload your map.  They aren't provided the tool and it takes too long because they haven't learned to multitask and it takes almost 2 hours to execute the reload.

So they will swap out your radio for one that has been reloaded at some other location.  And it will likely crap out again, because radios that HAVE crapped out are more likely susceptible to the memory corruption that occurs.

Reloading your own will ultimately save you time.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, AMac said:

I am having my 2015 Journey looked at by the dealer for the navigation system not working for the third time in 18 months. Is there a point where they just refund what you paid for the navigation system?

Not unless you live in a jurisdiction with powerful lemon laws and even then.  But the one I have in my '14 has yet to hiccup. (talk about tempting fate!!)  And if or when it does I can deal with the problem myself at home.

Edited by bramfrank

16 hours ago, AMac said:

I am having my 2015 Journey looked at by the dealer for the navigation system not working for the third time in 18 months. Is there a point where they just refund what you paid for the navigation system?

i always wanted the nav in both my journeys, but ended up getting one without it,after reading all this makes me glad i didnt and guess what my $120 garmin is still going strong and its 6 yrs old and never had to update the maps, and its never given me a wrong address yet.

22 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

i always wanted the nav in both my journeys, but ended up getting one without it,after reading all this makes me glad i didnt and guess what my $120 garmin is still going strong and its 6 yrs old and never had to update the maps, and its never given me a wrong address yet.

Why don't you update your maps?  Streets and POIs do change.  I've got 2017 mapping in my RB5.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:21 PM, bramfrank said:

First of all they will not reload your map.  They aren't provided the tool and it takes too long because they haven't learned to multitask and it takes almost 2 hours to execute the reload.

So they will swap out your radio for one that has been reloaded at some other location.  And it will likely crap out again, because radios that HAVE crapped out are more likely susceptible to the memory corruption that occurs.

Reloading your own will ultimately save you time.

Sending a PM to discuss implementing the fix you have

well, the PM didn't go, so here's a cut/paste

Good morning, been waiting for 3 weeks for dealer to get replacement radio unit, that I have little confidence will fix my 'cant load maps' issue anyway.

My email is davehansen459@gmail.com, my unit has the versions you mention are required, can you let me know what I need to do to apply your fix?

thanks in advance

dave hansen

davehansen459@gmail.com

Edited by bluejeep

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone post and PM me the fix / procedure ?   I have had this happen to me for the 4 - 5th time in 3 years! Its at the dealer now but if there is a way i can do it myself i would rather do that.. Plus they like to charge me for this defect!!!!!

Edited by pyrater