Can't Unlock Maps

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION R65

This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Dear: (Name)

At FCA US LLC, we recognize that the success of our business depends on the satisfaction of our customers. We are constantly monitoring the quality of our products and looking for opportunities to improve our vehicles even after they are sold. Because your long-term satisfaction is important to us, we are contacting you on important improvements we would like to make to your vehicle. This will be done at no charge to you.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on certain 2014 through 2015 model year Dodge Journey vehicles equipped with an 8.4 inch screen navigation radio.

The problem is...

The navigation system on your vehicle may experience a condition which permanently renders the navigation features not functional as a result of memory corruption.

What your dealer will do...

FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will check the radio navigation functionality. If the navigation is found to be functional, the radio and navigation software level will be checked for the latest version. If the software is found to not be up to date, the radio control head will be reprogrammed with updated radio and/or navigation software. If the navigation is not functional, the radio may require replacement. If a replacement radio needs to be ordered, the dealer will need to schedule a return visit once the replacement radio arrives. The work will take about 1⁄2 hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

What you should do...

Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.

If you need help...

If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Group Recall Assistance Center at either fcarecalls.com or 1-800-853-1403.

Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to your vehicle. If you have further questions go to fcarecalls.com.

If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online or you can mail your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you’ve had previous repairs and/or reimbursement you may still need to have the campaign repair performed on your vehicle.

We apologize for any inconvenience this service may cause to your schedule. FCA is committed to providing our customers with world class quality products, ensuring that you have a positive dealership experience and following up on any issues and concerns that you may have in a timely manner through our Customer Assistance Center. Thank you for being our customer.

Sincerely, Customer Service / Field Operations FCA US LLC

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like our 2015 Journey with 15.6 k miles has joined the club. Luckily ours lasted a whole 15 months before it took a ship. Our biggest break is we only lease Chrysler products.Saves on buying a service contract. We do have a safety recall on the ABS so maybe we can combine both issues. We dumped our Town & Country because that was starting to have issues too. That was a 2012 with 33k miles. Blind spot sensor and both side door handles quit working. Got the sensor fixed and there were two prices showing on the work order $860 and $1030. Went to get an oil change and drove out with this Journey. Been a good vehicle with no other issues till now. Might lease another one.

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION R65

This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Dear: (Name)

At FCA US LLC, we recognize that the success of our business depends on the satisfaction of our customers. We are constantly monitoring the quality of our products and looking for opportunities to improve our vehicles even after they are sold. Because your long-term satisfaction is important to us, we are contacting you on important improvements we would like to make to your vehicle. This will be done at no charge to you.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on certain 2014 through 2015 model year Dodge Journey vehicles equipped with an 8.4 inch screen navigation radio.

The problem is...

The navigation system on your vehicle may experience a condition which permanently renders the navigation features not functional as a result of memory corruption.

What your dealer will do...

FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will check the radio navigation functionality. If the navigation is found to be functional, the radio and navigation software level will be checked for the latest version. If the software is found to not be up to date, the radio control head will be reprogrammed with updated radio and/or navigation software. If the navigation is not functional, the radio may require replacement. If a replacement radio needs to be ordered, the dealer will need to schedule a return visit once the replacement radio arrives. The work will take about 1⁄2 hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

What you should do...

Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.

If you need help...

If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Group Recall Assistance Center at either fcarecalls.com or 1-800-853-1403.

Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to your vehicle. If you have further questions go to fcarecalls.com.

If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online or you can mail your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you’ve had previous repairs and/or reimbursement you may still need to have the campaign repair performed on your vehicle.

We apologize for any inconvenience this service may cause to your schedule. FCA is committed to providing our customers with world class quality products, ensuring that you have a positive dealership experience and following up on any issues and concerns that you may have in a timely manner through our Customer Assistance Center. Thank you for being our customer.

Sincerely, Customer Service / Field Operations FCA US LLC

Got that notice in the mail and had the update done today. On my second unit anyway, so we'll see what happens over time.

H.P.

Given the way the notice was worded and what dodgecares.ca said, I personally would hold off on executing the recall at the dealer, since if the radio dies it will not be a simple task to get the company to fix it again at their expense.

What I would do is to update the radio MYSELF to the current version and not let the dealer do the recall . . . . if (or when) the radio dies then, and only then would I bring it in for the real recall.

Edited by bramfrank

• 4 weeks later...

Our 2014 Journey RT started doing the same thing. I believe this started happening exactly one year after purchase to the day. Sirius XM radio works currently and we already renewed so we don't lose our service. Upon Navigation star- up it reads "Can't Unlock Maps" I click "OK" and it then new box says "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit."

After that, the box goes away and we get to the start screen. I click on VIEW MAP and there is a very basic map (missing small streets) and my car is way to the left of the road (even when driving on the road). I cannot click on the ADDRESS box (a box says "NO MAP DATA AVAILABLE") but can click on GO HOME and it gives me directions home. I cannot use food, fuel, lodging, but DEALER LOCATOR did work.. I am subscribed to Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic, along with the radio according to the vehicle read out when I check...

Exact same problem on my 2015 Journey Crossroads ^^ Less than 4K miles on it. Been to the dealer now twice (for the recall 'update') with no fix and finally they are going to replacethe whole unit. We'll see....

Edited by Sarah Burton

I'm wondering what the dealer did on those two (two? why two?) visits for the recall - I wonder if he even updated the system properly, though the only way to know is to check the version of the software (which is what shows as the navigator is starting up for the first time after switching on the vehicle).

SO BEFORE YOU GO BACK TO THE DEALER

Can you do me a favor and look at the splash screen while it starts and report the firmware version? It will probably be CTP14, CTP15 or CTP16 - but knowing what it is would be more than useful. There may also be another set of numbers in the form of 5.17 or 6.22. If you could please post the information here or send me a private message with the data.

THANK YOU

Edited by bramfrank

Bramfrank, I recently had my unit replaced. I believe it is the second unit from maintenance records I got (I am the second owner). I am concerned about a future failure, especially now that I see they have a recall campaign but it apparently is only for 2014 and 2015 (mine is a 2013). I got this unit replace barely inside the original warranty but the next one will be covered by my extended warranty but that has a $100 deductible.

I will attempt to attach a pic but if it doesn't work the unit I got is a CTP16 with software version 6.22.

On second thought lets see if a link will work...

https://goo.gl/photos/7DMR3sPgGGVb2TcP6

I believe that whatever the issue is, the warranty replacement program wasn't the answer, since the repair procedure involved shipping the dealer a replacement unit that they created by reloading the software and maps into a unit that had failed. And they stick that 'refurbished' (such as it is) unit back in your vehicle without resolving the underlying cause.

But if you can believe the verbiage and if the recall is 'right', the problem was squirrely software and the 'fix' is the latest radio firmware and the latest nav firmware, which you seem to have.

The good news is that if it goes again it will ONLY cost you $100 - if you'd have had no warranty the dealer would want to charge you $1700 or more for the module plus labor.

I would still love to get my hands on a failed unit to see if my theory is right. But both my RB5s work fine.

It is (or was, assuming that the latest firmware solves the problem, especially if your vehicle is out of the base warranty term).

But the problem is a lot less pervasive than looking at this board would imply - it affected only a tiny percentage of owners - though that 'tiny percentage' actually involves a fairly large number of vehicles in total, and based on what I'm seeing, whatever the trigger is, without the fix those owners are subject to the problem recurring, no doubt helped by the act that the radios that FCA are replacing failed units with ones that have already failed and were simply reloaded, the situation is ripe for those owners' units to fail again.

But those are the people that seek out information from sites like this so we tend to see more people with the issue complaining here.

And, if/when this problem occurs on a vehicle that is outside of it's basic warranty, it will cost the owner lots of money to repair, which is why I'd like to get hold of a failed unit to try fixing it myself.

I believe that the people on this site represent just a few of the people whose radios actually failed. In talking with people who have this problem, many thought it was connected to the fact that they did not renew their Sirius subscription so they thought nothing was wrong. Although FCA now extended the warranty on these units they did not go far enough. The warranty should be for a lifetime.

Yup, this happened to me while luckily still under warranty so when it happened a second time out of warranty they had a record of the previous failure. It also helped tremendously that this message board exists and that folks with corporate troll these boards and are willing to step up and make it right. I agree that the real fix may be to replace the failing units with new head units but so far (knock on wood) the refurb I had installed is working well. Time will tell.