Can't Unlock Maps

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 4:51 AM, bramfrank said:

Please enlighten me. What section is likely to have people with broken radios that are under warranty looking for help?

Maybe you will get lucky.... ;)

https://montreal.craigslist.ca/i/personals?category=cas

Edited by jkeaton

• 4 weeks later...

so i see this is a ongoing issue looking for a bit of wisdom when it come to this problem do i need update my maps every yer now for 150 dollar .i had lock maps before when i had warranty and they replace the unit now I got it again and now no warranty  I loved this car for the last 3 years now warranty gone I  got senor going off  that anther story and this map issue again ....anyone shed some light on this issue.i have 2014 RT 

On 9/3/2017 at 7:19 AM, Staring to hate dodge said:

so i see this is a ongoing issue looking for a bit of wisdom when it come to this problem do i need update my maps every yer now for 150 dollar .i had lock maps before when i had warranty and they replace the unit now I got it again and now no warranty  I loved this car for the last 3 years now warranty gone I  got senor going off  that anther story and this map issue again ....anyone shed some light on this issue.i have 2014 RT 

I would think that you would only need to buy the maps if (1) you want the latest ones in your unit or (2) you haven't bought a copy for yourself yet. If you do not have the maps CD/USB, then yes, you would have to buy the maps as you need them to reload onto or update the unit. Once you have the maps CD/USB, then each time the "unlock maps" issue occurs, you'd have to reload it. If the reload is successful, your GPS unit would function again but am no expert, not sure how effective or how many times you could actually reload onto the unit. I have a 2013 Dodge Journey, my GPS unit failed with the "unlock maps" issue 3x during the warranty period. I am now out of the warranty period and a few months back it failed on me again. The last time I took my car to Dodge, they told me they were unsuccessful in reloading the maps onto the unit and it would need to be replaced. So just because you buy the maps, doesn't mean the reload will succeed. I am surprised to hear this is still occuring with the new model Dodge vehicles. One would think Dodge would get their act together and fix the problem already...

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎03 at 10:19 AM, Staring to hate dodge said:

2 hours ago, journey13 said:

I would think that you would only need to buy the maps if (1) you want the latest ones in your unit or (2) you haven't bought a copy for yourself yet. If you do not have the maps CD/USB, then yes, you would have to buy the maps as you need them to reload onto or update the unit. Once you have the maps CD/USB, then each time the "unlock maps" issue occurs, you'd have to reload it. If the reload is successful, your GPS unit would function again but am no expert, not sure how effective or how many times you could actually reload onto the unit. I have a 2013 Dodge Journey, my GPS unit failed with the "unlock maps" issue 3x during the warranty period. I am now out of the warranty period and a few months back it failed on me again. The last time I took my car to Dodge, they told me they were unsuccessful in reloading the maps onto the unit and it would need to be replaced. So just because you buy the maps, doesn't mean the reload will succeed. I am surprised to hear this is still occuring with the new model Dodge vehicles. One would think Dodge would get their act together and fix the problem already...

journey13 is correct.  You can load any maps that work - so if you buy a map update you can load it over an over again, as required.  But map updates on DVDs are an iffy thing because the DVD player is pretty sketchy, so get them on a USB key - the unit is pretty picky about keys too, but updates can be done.

There is a thread here that explains how to build an update of your own and how to apply it, but it does take a lot of time to organise.

I bought the 7/115 zero deductible extended warranty (I'm in Canada) and while I'm still on my basic warranty I usually make money with these things.  Chrysler does offer warranties for vehicles up to 4 years old . . . . . at least they do in Canada.  And I would never buy one from anyone but the manufacturer in any case.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, bramfrank said:

You can load any maps that work - so if you buy a map update you can load it over an over again, as required.  But map updates on DVDs are an iffy thing because the DVD player is pretty sketchy, so get them on a USB key - the unit is pretty picky about keys too, but updates can be done.

There is a thread here that explains how to build an update of your own and how to apply it, but it does take a lot of time to organise.

Pardon me for being dense, but "where" is the thread which explains the update?  I have a 2016 Journey which I purchased with a rebuilt title, so I don't get any assistance from Dodge dealer.  Has been a wonderful vehicle with exception of map issue.

7 hours ago, Wally Remmers said:

Pardon me for being dense, but "where" is the thread which explains the update?  I have a 2016 Journey which I purchased with a rebuilt title, so I don't get any assistance from Dodge dealer.  Has been a wonderful vehicle with exception of map issue.

• 3 weeks later...

did firm ware update and look like i stuck to pay the retarded sum of 150 dollar for maps...i wondering if i going to have to pay for maps every year ?                                                                                                         

19 hours ago, Staring to hate dodge said:

did firm ware update and look like i stuck to pay the retarded sum of 150 dollar for maps...i wondering if i going to have to pay for maps every year ?                                                                                                         

Are you starting to hate dodge because you think you have to pay for map updates??? Lamest excuse yet for hating dodge...:congrats:

• 2 weeks later...

New radio/navigation installed this morning.  Interesting that the new screen has little graphics with all the names on Sirius/XM.  Got a few more channels I never had before.  I think they are for US subs.  I have a Canuck sub.  I'm not phoning them to tell.  Better yet, the new nav has updated maps as my old unit had nothing for a newer subdivision near the dealership.  No, I didn't pay for it either.  Lets see how long this one lasts....

On 10/23/2017 at 11:56 AM, bramfrank said:

Sirius added a bunch of new channels within the last month.

Ahh ok. Did notice that for a whole day I had an American subscription as I could get the Chicago traffic.  Sirius radio went to promo mode next day until I called them and transferred my sub over to the new radio ID number.  Believe it or not they attempted to charge me a 16 dollar transfer fee for this.  When the minion told me that I said. "No F'n way. Cancel my subscription and refund what is left"  Quite shocked, she paused and said they could waive the transfer fee.  Greedy jerks.

H.P.

3 hours ago, hockey_puck said:

Ahh ok. Did notice that for a whole day I had an American subscription as I could get the Chicago traffic.  Sirius radio went to promo mode next day until I called them and transferred my sub over to the new radio ID number.  Believe it or not they attempted to charge me a 16 dollar transfer fee for this.  When the minion told me that I said. "No F'n way. Cancel my subscription and refund what is left"  Quite shocked, she paused and said they could waive the transfer fee.  Greedy jerks.

H.P.

I'm certain their reaction was quite the opposite . . . . . .

Due to the maps issue, I'll be getting my 4th radio as soon as the Dealership finally get it in.

They decided I had to get it replaced about 4 weeks ago... Love shipping in Canada. 6 to 12 business weeks for anything.

Is there any way for me to do a full backup of my system, including maps, for a year from now when this happens again?

16 hours ago, FendleTruck said:

Due to the maps issue, I'll be getting my 4th radio as soon as the Dealership finally get it in.

They decided I had to get it replaced about 4 weeks ago... Love shipping in Canada. 6 to 12 business weeks for anything.

Don't know where you are, rural or urban.  My dealer here in Winnipeg had a replacement radio here in 3 days and replaced on the 5th.

H.P.

• 4 months later...
On 2016/10/3 at 5:30 AM, bramfrank said:

Call your dealer, but he'll be clueless and the FCA support people are either just as clueless, or are refusing to admit they have issues for whatever reason.

The problem, as you know is that one of the map files is corrupt, likely due to a hardware design issue and the recall, which only updated the firmware in the unit, but did nothing about the hardware was a useless (and expensive) placebo.

Reloading/updating the maps will being the unit back to life.

But, if you just bought the vehicle from a dealer, shouldn't the selling dealer have given you at least a short warranty?  Let him fix the problem this time..

Hi, Bramfrank

I have the' can't unlock maps' issue again and my dealer refused to exchange another one to me.Could you please teach me how to fix this problem? Thank you very much. 

Edited by freewjk

10 hours ago, freewjk said:

Hi, Bramfrank

I have the' can't unlock maps' issue again and my dealer refused to exchange another one to me.Could you please teach me how to fix this problem? Thank you very much. 

Read this thread.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/9600-84-uconnect-cannot-unlock-maps-fixed-in-6-steps-confirmed/

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, freewjk said:

Hi, Bramfrank

Your dealer is an ass.  Look up the definition of 'design defect', then contact FCA customer support and insist that they replace the radio once more under warranty.  If they refuse file a complaint with your state's consumer protection group, quoting the various 'can't unlock maps' threads here and referencing the R65 Chrysler recall.

That can't stick defective equipment into your vehicle and then try to charge you when it does what they program it to.  Under civil law you can likely claim a lifetime of replacements, since it is a defective design with an applied 'solution' that actually exacerbates the likelihood of recurrence. 

I have 2013 RT model and I am having an issue with the Navigation system

Upon Navigation star- up it reads "Can't Unlock Maps" I click "OK" and it then new box says "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit."

I called Chrysler and they told me it is an issue with Radio software. I took it to the dealer and they told me since it is out of warranty I will need to pay labor, and they are not sure if they will be able to fix it. I ended up paying $65 and it was not fixed. Now they are telling me I need new Radio and it will cost $1200. Even though nothing is wrong with Radio or any other function such as Bluetooth etc.