Can't Unlock Maps

Have a 2013 Journey and now when we go to start it we get the message "Can't Unlock Maps" and no map info is available. Vehicle is just coming up on 1 year old, still have not had to renew Sirius yet.

It is the 8.4 UConnect system.

Anyone else have this?

Is it a simple reflash to get maps reloaded?

Try this: for radio issues, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for at least 1/2 hour. The radio has a small battery so you won't lose your presets. Let us know what you get. These cars have minds of their own, and sometimes you have to punish them!

Edited by dhh3

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey limited. As soon as I did not renew satellite radio, vehicle unable to unlock maps. The navigation system should not have anything to do with my radio. And do I understand correctly that I have to purchase map updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2014 Journey RT started doing the same thing. I believe this started happening exactly one year after purchase to the day. Sirius XM radio works currently and we already renewed so we don't lose our service. Upon Navigation star- up it reads "Can't Unlock Maps" I click "OK" and it then new box says "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit."

After that, the box goes away and we get to the start screen. I click on VIEW MAP and there is a very basic map (missing small streets) and my car is way to the left of the road (even when driving on the road). I cannot click on the ADDRESS box (a box says "NO MAP DATA AVAILABLE") but can click on GO HOME and it gives me directions home. I cannot use food, fuel, lodging, but DEALER LOCATOR did work.. I am subscribed to Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic, along with the radio according to the vehicle read out when I check...

• Official Dodge Support

Our 2014 Journey RT started doing the same thing. I believe this started happening exactly one year after purchase to the day. Sirius XM radio works currently and we already renewed so we don't lose our service. Upon Navigation star- up it reads "Can't Unlock Maps" I click "OK" and it then new box says "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit."

After that, the box goes away and we get to the start screen. I click on VIEW MAP and there is a very basic map (missing small streets) and my car is way to the left of the road (even when driving on the road). I cannot click on the ADDRESS box (a box says "NO MAP DATA AVAILABLE") but can click on GO HOME and it gives me directions home. I cannot use food, fuel, lodging, but DEALER LOCATOR did work.. I am subscribed to Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic, along with the radio according to the vehicle read out when I check...

I would suggest to have your servicing dealer inspect and diagnose this issue. There maybe a soft ware update needed.

This is exactly why I have never had navigation with my radio, from the time that it became available. Mopar used to make Nav Units for specific vehicles, but they were actually dolled up Garmins. The best part was that they mounted on top of the dash, with the screens at eye level, where all Nav units should be mounted, IMHO. Now, I just use my iPhone as my Nav unit. I have a mount that clips to the center vent. It is too far away when using a windshield mount.

They have to replace the entire unit... Makes me nervous about when the warranty runs out... 12 months and major electronic parts are being replaced...ugh

I'd be more worried about the fact that the dealer is so incompetent that they just replace it instead of figuring out what the issue is. Makes me glad I got the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty... Good luck with your new unit; how long do you have to wait for one to arrive?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After having my car for a year the same thing happened to me. I called Sirius and they led me to believe I needed to update my Travel Links, which I did and wasted my money because that was not the problem. After trying to reflash and about a month passed the dealership replaced my whole radio unit. 6 months later, It has happened again. I've been waiting 3 weeks to hear back from the dealership so I contacted Chrysler and they gave me a claim # to give the dealership. So Im taking it back to the dealership to see what they have to say this time. Never had a dodge before this one and Im not impressed. I bought this car because of all the options on it but have not been able to use it when I actually need it.

I am having the same problem. We had the unit replaced 6 months ago after they attempted to update the software and it did not work. Now, it is doing it again. Took it to a different dealer and they attempted the update and it did not work again. They are ordering another unit and will replace it again. Other than the inconvenience it is not costing anything yet, but I am concerned if this keeps up that once it is out of warranty it will cost a lot of money. The dealer told me previously that the unit costs $3000. I don't understand how they can keep having this issue. This 2014 Journey replaced a 2010 Journey that also had Nav, but never was an issue. I don't understand how a unit that is used across so many Dodge products can be this much of a problem.

A lot of people are going to very unhappy when the warranty runs out on these units, there is a definite defect.

The other day on my 3rd replacement unit while using the "nav" feature the unit "froze" lost all nav,uconnect (phone),and ipod connection all I had was Sirius and radio

It did not reset until I disconnected the battery for 10 mins I took pics of the display as it was crashing(ed)