FWD to AWD

dhh3

Does anyone know it the transmission on the FWD is the same as the transmission on the AWD? If so, is there a way to bolt on the transfer case to the FWD transmission? Then, all I would need is the drive shaft, rear 1/2 shafts and rear differential. Does this sound doable; it would be a lot cheaper than trading in my 2014.

At the ABSOLUTE very least you would need both a pcm and a tcm flash. Possibly a bcm flash as well. Seeing as the chassis are all made in the same run to save for tooling cost, it is pretty likely you can do a simply pull and place swap of the parts(to get the mechanics of it in there at least)

It's not a true AWD system. The vehicle decides when you need AWD and activates it for your. There is definitely a lot of interaction with all of the control modules in the vehicle in order for it to operate.

Are you have difficulty with FWD? A lot of our Canadian members use the FWD and are very vocal in letting us know that it handles great... Perhaps winter tires are your cheapest option if you are having troubles?

No troubles yet. Just curious. Forgot about the electronics. I did read that when the front wheels slip, the rear will engage. Must some kind of clutch pack with jelly in in. When there is slippage, the jelly gets hot and locks the clutch plates together. I'll just jack it up, and slide a Wrangler Unlimited Chassis under it.

Edited by dhh3

Definitely not simple. You might even need to add new rear suspension as well.

FWIW I used my AWD for the first time yesterday and the day before while it was snowing in Metro Detroit. I could feel the AWD kick on around corners to correct understeer. Once or twice it overcompensated and I had to use opposite-lock to maintain control. I came from a 400 ft-lb RWD Charger last year with bald tires, so that was nothing new to me (I prefer it, much better control).

Before said Charger I owned only FWD cars, and my 2.5-season toy is a FWD 300M Special, with which I had almost no traction issues, so I can't say I even need AWD now. I bought the car used wth 2000 miles on it, so whatever it was built with is what I got.

• 4 months later...

Come on man, put a NSFW label on that!

Would the rear wheel bearings need to be changed as well? Most FWD vehicles I've owned did not have a means of attaching a drive axle into the hub for the rear wheels.

Edited by jkeaton

Well, my first Winter is finally over; I can honestly say that I did not miss having AWD. The car did exactly what I expected of it, and my confidence grew daily. Who knows what will happen in the future.

Anyone know if there is an override switch so if the driver wanted AWD at any particular moment they could select it? I'm talking about manually selecting AWD, not letting the vehicle select it.

If that is a function you really want, get a Jeep.