2014 Journey R/T not auto-learning new TPMS

wvt

At my friends shop, we installed new winter tires on 17" steel wheels (verified proper offset/fitment etc.).

I ordered 4 new TPMS sensors from ebay to use, p/n: 56029398AB. Now all information indicates the TPMS system should autolearn the new sensors and positions. It's been over 400km, speeds over 120km/hour, and still no luck. Only the Front Drivers sensor displays a pressure on the instrument cluster, the others trigger a service code with no reading.

At his shop they have proper scan tools and TPMS tools, we tested from the sidewall of each tire using a TPMS scanner. They all report properly and at the the correct frequency for a 2014. We've increased to 40PSI, driven another 70km and still no luck. Is there a dealear procedure to manually program the IDs via OBD-II or to issue a manual relearn procedure and either upload the IDs via OBD-II or issue a learn with the TPMS tool similar to GMs? We connected a Snap-on SOLUS ultra and cleared the TPMS codes, but did not see anything that offered a manual relearn.

Has anyone with 17" steel wheels and TPMS every had an issue with the auto learn on their journey? I was almost considering a strip of foil duct tape on each side wall over where the TPMS sensor is to try and direct the signal so the wheel well sensors pick them up maybe. But haven't tried that yet.

We assume the front drivers tire relearned as it may be the wheel well without a pickup sensor for learning. (3 wells have pickup sensor, 4th tire is assumed)

Found this info in a note about Dodge TPMS systems, looks like I need to find out what scan tool allows manual entry.

Also found the info about the transponders in 3 wheel wells:

The premium TPMS consists of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each road wheel through the valve stem mounting hole, a WIN, three wheel sensor transponders located in three of the four wheel wells, an electronic display and an indicator lamp.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel/retailing/article/story/2014/07/tpms-setups-on-dodge-chargers.aspx

After the vehicle has remained stationary for 20 minutes, drive the vehicle for a minimum of 20 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph. During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID code and will clear any DTCs automatically. If a sensor cannot be trained, see appropriate manufacturer service information.

NOTE: A new sensor ID can also be programmed directly into the WIN or TPMS module by using a RKE-TPM Analyzer in conjunction with a scan tool. Once the new sensor ID has been programmed, the vehicle will need to be driven above 15 mph until the fault is no longer active (lamp extinguishes) and display is updated (for up to 20 minutes). Using a TPM-RKE Analyzer can take up to a minute to force a transmission from a sensor.

They can be programmed manually by the dealer. Sounds like you've done most everything correctly. I double-checked the part number for you and it is correct. Below is from the shop manual - did you let the car sit the required minimum of 20 minutes to initiate the learn sequence?

Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the module can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The module can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving (within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)) after a new sensor has been installed. The vehicle must be stationary for more then 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence.

Manual learning is not normally required. Some sensors have a magnetic switch to force them into a continuous transmit mode (my old LHS had that) - if these have such a sensor and someone stored the sensors next to a magnet, the batteries could well be exhausted (BTDT).

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 months later...

I experienced a similar problem after having 17" snow tires mounted on steel rims. The dealer changed the TPMS module and all four sending units in the tires under warranty but I still had the warning signal although all four tires showed the same pressure reading.

The dealer reduced the tire pressure to 35 psi rather than the 40 psi that they had in the tires since installation. Not sure how that resolved the problem but I've had no warnings since. I also checked the manufacturer recommended tire pressure on the door jam which said the tires should be at 35 psi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support

I'm hoping someone figures this out. I have the same exact problem on my 13.

dj cowboy,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this TPMS concern. I recommend taking your vehicle to an FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis.

for all your TPMS needs..

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-tpms.html?initiative_id=SB_20150313000458&site=glo&shipCountry=uk&SearchText=tpms&CatId=200000318&isrefine=y

you can buy direct from China... Im currently searching on there for some Dodge Journey 2010 valves, if anyone has the part number please let me know :)

I'm hoping someone figures this out. I have the same exact problem on my 13.

What is it that you want figured out? If they aren't calibrating correctly, the dealer can do it as stated in post #3 by someone who works at a dealer... this info is also in your owner's manual.

• 8 months later...