Anyone look into putting a chip in? I have the 3.6l and its OK. Could be better on fuel, I wanted using the sport shifting mode today and gained an extra 10mpg!!! But I am wanting a chip for better fuel and maybe extra HP. Don't really care for the HP part, I've seen a ts performance chip for the trucks and that's wild! Anyone see one for the DJ???!!!

An increase of 10 mpg just by using sport shift....suuurrreeee......along with your performance chip, make sure you throw in one of those electric superchargers. You'll probably increase by 50 MPG!!! :lol:

Do a little research and you will see those "chips" are nothing but a resister that tricks the IAT into thinking the incoming air is colder than it is and it increases the fuel mixture (runs richer). You "may" feel a bit of an increasse in power simply because of the extra fuel, but the computer will quickly re-learn and you will be right back where you started. You can go buy a resister at radioshack for 25 cents and make your own to test it out if you really want to. The only true way to "tune" these engines is with a tuner, SCT, Diablo, Superchips, etc. Unfortunately, none are made for the DJ.

Edited by jkeaton

I guess it depends on how you drive it... I could see it happening, but I doubt it is typical. Use an entire tank both ways in similar conditions and see what you get. It will probably be less dramatic. What does the extra 10 mpg equate to (as in total mpg's)?? I typically get 23-24, but I drive mostly around town with only short trips on the freeway.

• 2 years later...