Check engine light, Electronic Throttle Control & Electronic Stability Control Off

I purchased my 2013 Dodge Journey in July of 2013. Since then I have had check engine lights coming on 6 times. First time was only a couple months after I purchased it and less than 1500 miles and then 2-3 other times during the next months. Dealership that i purchased the vehicle from has replaced sensors, replaced main computer board that the errors are sent to.

After speaking with other dodge owners decided to take to another dealership. Very friendly and said that the problem is the computer needed an update and that was why I was getting the check engine light messages. Since I have been taking it to them have not had anymore problems until yesterday 10/21/14. When I leave work and start car the check engine light, electronic throttle control and electronic stability control off lights come on. Car is not running right. Try to drive and it is hesitate when i press the gas petal. After shutting car off and back on several times car starts running better and only the check engine light is on. Stop several places before I head home and when I start the car on the way home the check engine light is off and was still off when I come to work this morning.

One thing I have noticed when all 3 lights come....It has been cold on the morning 7-8 am drive to work 30-40 degrees, I don't drive again until on my way home which is 5 pm and temperature has warmed up to around 75 degrees.

I am once again calling dealership to take car in to get looked at but I am very frustrated.

• Official Dodge Support

I purchased my 2013 Dodge Journey in July of 2013. Since then I have had check engine lights coming on 6 times. First time was only a couple months after I purchased it and less than 1500 miles and then 2-3 other times during the next months. Dealership that i purchased the vehicle from has replaced sensors, replaced main computer board that the errors are sent to.

After speaking with other dodge owners decided to take to another dealership. Very friendly and said that the problem is the computer needed an update and that was why I was getting the check engine light messages. Since I have been taking it to them have not had anymore problems until yesterday 10/21/14. When I leave work and start car the check engine light, electronic throttle control and electronic stability control off lights come on. Car is not running right. Try to drive and it is hesitate when i press the gas petal. After shutting car off and back on several times car starts running better and only the check engine light is on. Stop several places before I head home and when I start the car on the way home the check engine light is off and was still off when I come to work this morning.

One thing I have noticed when all 3 lights come....It has been cold on the morning 7-8 am drive to work 30-40 degrees, I don't drive again until on my way home which is 5 pm and temperature has warmed up to around 75 degrees.

I am once again calling dealership to take car in to get looked at but I am very frustrated.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with the check engine light. Please keep us posted once the dealer diagnoses the issue.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My 2013 Journey SE Plus has started experiencing this exact same problem. It started over the last few weeks as a small power loss for a second or so while accelerating every once in a while. It has been good for the last week or so and starting last night things got worse.

Now most of the time while accelerating once the engine RPMs are between 2K and 3K the RPMs will suddenly drop to around 2K, the engine will start surging, the ETC and Trac lights will come on and Trac light won't turn off until I shut the vehicle off. The ETC light will go away once the RPMs come back up.

I have read online about others having a similar issue and the Electronic Thottle body needed to be replaced. Right now I have 92K on it and does anyone know if this were to be the issue would it be covered under the powertrain warranty? I haven't called the dealership yet because it is Sunday and they are not open.

Thanks!

The other thing I forgot to mention is that over the last few weeks during the really cold mornings when I use the engine block heater the engine will idle very low (around 500K) and very rough for about 30 seconds, then the RPMs will come up and everything will smooth out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update... I took the Journey to the dealership and there were codes stored in the computer indicating that the computer was limiting engine RPM's because the Electronic Throttle Body was sticking.

They replaced the Throttle Body and the problem has been resolved.

• Official Dodge Support

Just an update... I took the Journey to the dealership and there were codes stored in the computer indicating that the computer was limiting engine RPM's because the Electronic Throttle Body was sticking.

klingoff,

Happy to hear everything was sorted out, thanks for posting the details.

As bigtsr mentioned, it grows the knowledge base for other members and may one day be the fix they are needing.

Thanks again! :lol:

• 2 years later...
On 3/28/2015 at 10:31 AM, klingoff said:

Do you remember how much this cost

• 1 month later...

Good Day,

It has been a while since I was on this forum.  Unfortunately I don't recall exactly how much it was.  I remember at that time the part was under $500 and the dealership covered the labour under their "Good Will" warranty.  I am not sure exactly how that works so it may not apply to everyone.

• 3 years later...

I purchased my 2014 Dodge Journey 3 yrs ago, this October, with 90,000 miles on it. I had to have the electronic throttle control replaced and computer reprogram, which was covered under warranty in January of 2019. This failed again in June 2020 and the dealership graciously replaced it, stating a "PART" issue. There was approx 20,000 miles on it since initial repair. they replaced the part and reprogrammed computer (supposedly) again. Now, on July 26, 2021 it has happened AGAIN!! same indicator lights same sluggish vehicle. I took it to dealership and they stated same thing again was wrong - Electronic Throttle Control. There was only 11,000 miles from a year ago when they replaced it. They stated they can replace it and reprogram but I MUST FOOT THE BILL...is this not an issue they should take care of or a recall be done on? How can 3 of these go bad within 141,000 miles on a car?  Any advice or direction I can go? They have reset the codes but now car barely runs until they can "fix" it and I pay??

i have always been told when a part is installed at the dealership 12 months /12 k warranty, but if it has yo be replaced again the warranty stays from when the first part was installed,,,, might want to go directly to corporate use the Ph # back of your manual or get it from the dealership.be nice and keep all your info organised and safe, good luck