Rear License Plate Fix?

cruser635

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey, yesterday I closed the rear gate on it and the licenses plate fell off. In looking at it I noticed the holes weren’t the standard square plate holder inserts, instead it appears the previous owner may have just filled them in with some of body putty and stuck a screw in them. I’ve attached a picture and am wondering if there are any ideas on how to fix this and get my plate back on. Thanks,

post-4571-0-87037900-1413210792_thumb.jp

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey, yesterday I closed the rear gate on it and the licenses plate fell off. In looking at it I noticed the holes weren’t the standard square plate holder inserts, instead it appears the previous owner may have just filled them in with some of body putty and stuck a screw in them. I’ve attached a picture and am wondering if there are any ideas on how to fix this and get my plate back on. Thanks,

Mine is just like yours. If you cant find the screws that fit at your local auto parts store im sure Home Depo has them.

• 2 years later...

Hi this tread seem death but lets see if we can revive it.

Today I went to change my old NY plates with CO plates and when I tried to change the rear plate the screw spun and spun and never got loose. After 30 mijutes of reach I learn i had to remove the liftgate trim and with a vicegrip hold  a long mounted screw. When i when for about a 3/4 of a turn i snap the screw. It also happened on the other one. Now I don't know what to do.

Anybody found a permanent nd reliable fix for this?

These 2 things there in plce have about have of the screw left in there. And if i didn't use a vicegrip to hold them on the other side they will spun.  

1477622245480-1707511878.jpg

that is a  riv nut insert ( at least that was what we called it)that is pressed into the body metal.   using a oversize screw can damage the threads and also cause it to start to turn and loosen its grip on the metal body . if it is loose it needs to be removed and a new one inserted which requires a special tool to do it.         the riv nut insert is inserted into the hole then the screw is tightened until the outer edge is pulled up tight around the body. kind of like a rivet  it call easily be drilled out it is just made of aluminum and a new one put in just be careful nut to drill it out making the hole oversize for the new one you are putting in...

Edited by 2late4u

i was just looking and  i found about 20 of them riv nuts in a jar mixed in with other bolts and things when i worked at the chrysler minivan plant in st louis i was a Quality Control person and while we were inspecting the van going down the line we were supposed to pick up the screws and other parts left in the van after being dropped there during assy. i saved all the small screws and such and put them in a jar and since chrysler would throw things like that away as they didnt want to take time to sort that stuff out they would just throw it away, i would take it home with me....after 2 yrs up there i have a good assortment of fasteners and screws and small parts.....LOL  you could probably find them riv nuts at any good auto store or go to your local body shop they would have some.....

Edited by 2late4u

• 11 months later...

I have not checked the dealership to find out if the threaded inserts are available from them yet or not. The only other reliable solution I can come up with is to go to your local hardware store and buy short hollow wall anchors which expand behind the fiberglass panel of your rear liftgate. You will have to remove the inner panel from the liftgate to access the back of the existing threaded inserts if they are spinning on you like mine are. Grab one of them with vicegrip pliers to hold them still while you carefully drill the head off of the threaded insert. Then, you can use short hollow wall anchors in their place which will expand behind the fiberglass and hold your license plate. I recommend using silicone sealant around the hollow wall fastener to seal out moisture and also buy stainless screws to hold on your license. The threads would benefit from thread sealant as well. I intend to use rubber washers behind the plate as well which can keep the plate away from the paint. The rubber washers could be found at the hardware store in the plumbing supply section. They are intended to be used in faucets. I have not done this yet, however I intend to do it tomarrow, time allowing. I will keep you posted.

any body shop would have the replacement riv nuts that is needed ,you drill out the old one it is made of aluminum and then replace it with the new one..... if you want to improvise and not buy the tool take a L bracket and drill a hole  on one end bigger than the screw that the new riv nut takes and then push the rivnut into the hole in the body of the car and then hold the bracket in front of the hole and then thread the screw thur the brackets hole and into the rivnut and  then hold the bracket tight against the body and then tighten the screw till it bottoms out and then remove the screw and the new riv nut will be tightened up in the car body's hole works on the same principle as a rivet gun only using the treads to tighten the body of the riv nut..or simply ask the body shop how much they would charge you to do it for you.....

Maybe you know something I don't. I tried buying the rivnuts locally.  There is a Menard's that carries them. The ones they had in stock were not designed for material as thick as the fiberglass in the liftgate of my Journey. I know they apparently make them due to the factory installed them,  but the dealership says they are not listed as a serviceable part. I will ask around at the body shops as you suggest. Thank you for the tip. The only other solution I could come up with, is the short hollow wall anchors I talked about above. I have the setting tool, but may not have the correct die it takes for the threads it uses. I only have English dies at present. No metric. 

havent checked but try fastenal stores, body shops. also the lift gate is aluminum not fiberglass,   also check amazon found this check what size before buying  also check you tube for videos before ideas on how to use simplest way is to use the bolt and 2 nut with a bracket method....    Hilitchi 150pcs Mixed Zinc Plated Carbon Steel Rivet Nut Threaded Insert Nutsert M4 5 6 8 10

Edited by 2late4u