Are the Journey Transmissions interchangable?

Lawdog1911

Do not know. There are 6 different transmissions that have been used since 2009 according to Wikipedia.

4-speed Ultradrive 41TE automatic
5-speed Magna T355 manual
6-speed Aisin BG6 manual
6-speed Fiat C635 manual
6-speed Getrag Mps6 DCT automatic
6-speed Ultradrive 62TE automatic

I would assume you would have to use the exact same one.

As far as the engine goes, I cant imagine a hemi would be interchangeable with a V6. But, with enough money, anything is possible. You wanting to hemi your DJ???

I was wondering if a sideways 5.7 would fit in the engine bay, lol. I am waiting until I pay mine off or win the lotto to convert it to a '07 6.1L Jeep Srt8 AWD system I have.

Edit: If I won the lotto, I would get something like this, Ha!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-SRT-8/390944371475?_trksid=p2050601.c100270.m3465&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813115946%26meid%3D744ddb6f1ef84f9f8a5f8a80a3efc9d6%26pid%3D100270%26prg%3D20140813115946%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390944371475%26clkid%3D1019425901713531251&_qi=RTM1562569

Edited by Lawdog1911

Holy craaaap!! How in the world could someone have that much time to strip a vehicle???? Plus they left all the high dollar parts.....That would cool to stick a DJ body on though. They want $18,000 for that?

Edited by jkeaton

I doubt the trans for the 2.4L could be bolted to the 3.6L and vise versa.

Likewise, installing a 5.7 or 6.1 will take a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of BST (blood, sweat, tears).

The Hemi series of V8 engines was not designed for transverse applications and the Journey platform was not designed for longitudinal engines. One thing you have going for you is the fact that the Journey was designed to be AWD, so if you start with an AWD Journey, there *shouldn't* be much trouble converting it to RWD. The big issues will be fitting the RWD transmission under the car, and modifying the front and rear suspension systems (and front cradle) and rear drive system. I don't know enough about FWD-based AWD systems to know what can be recycled (if anything), but it should give you the tunnel space and fuel tank setup to work.

Still, you'd have to make the engine itself fit between the Journey's fenders (and between the firewall and cooling assembly), and the transmission fit under the body as well. The 2.4L looks miniscule in the Journey engine bay, and 3.6L fills the void pretty well as it is. Then the electronics... It's worth looking into if you don't need your Journey for several months.

• 3 years later...

My Fiat Freemont 2014 auto gear box start to make a strange noise (like damaged ball bearing )under acceleration, and for the moment nobody knows if my car is equipped with AISIN gearbox or Chrysler.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Makis

A 62te would physically fit in the engine bay with a 2.4L engine, but that doesn't mean it would work.  You'd need to reconfigure the entire drive line (new axle shafts would likely be necessary).  New computers everywhere (possibly all of them).

The list of potential problems are more expensive than just buying a different DJ with a Pentastar engine and the 62te.

Now, if you were intending on converting the entire vehicle's driveline because you wanted to see if it could be done, then have at it.  Just understand that you will have no support from FCA.  You're on your own for that one.