2013 Crew vs 2012 R/T

Hi all

New member here and am looking to trade in my Honda for a pre-owned Dodge Journey. I am in Canada so warranty is 3yr/60,000km and 5yr/100,000km. Currently looking at two vehicles right now and am seeking advice from current/past Journey owners.

Car 1: 2013 Crew

• 2 previous owners (rental company, individual)
  • about 30,000km
  • no accidents but strong dog odour that dealer says they'll professionally clean
  • price negotiated to $19k

Car 2: 2012 R/T

• 1 owner (individual)
  • about 46,000km
  • one accident with claim of $1,300 (should I run or is $1,300 considered a minor/cosmetic repair)
  • asking price is $21k (yet to negotiate)

I'll need to have my mechanic inspect both vehicles but based on the above information, which one would you lean towards.

Appreciate all your insights. Thanks.

Personally I would stray from both of them. I would feel like my car was violated if a dog was in it constantly. And any accident on the record never looks good, no matter how minor it is.

Prices seem pretty high too...maybe Canada costs more. I bought my 2012 Crew for $25k brand new (with 7 seats, heated seats, leather, sunroof, 19"s, etc...most options). It apprases right now with 65k miles for $18k.

I'd check the 12 model to see which brakes it has. Switchover to the larger brakes and less headaches occurred mid model year for the 12's. The 13 should have the bigger brakes. Take a peek at an end of model year 14. The 15's are arriving on dealer lots so you might find a juicy deal and all 14's get bigger brakes with ceramic pads. (cleaner wheels)

Thanks for all your insights.

Larryl is right, in Canada, the discontinued Crew model is non-leather and FWD while the RT is leather and AWD. A 2014 with similar features (e.g. 7 seater, heated seats/steering wheel, 6-cyl, sunroof, non-leather) will cost $30k and more than that for the RT. Was thinking if I can save $10k for a 1-2 year old used vehicle that still has warranty on it, then why not. Of course, for the budget I'm looking at (<$20k) I might have to deal with dog odour, accidents or just need to continue to look around. How reliable are the 2012-2013 anyways - all my friends are saying I'm brave for even thinking of a Dodge. I know the 2009-2010 had a lot of electrical problems - shutting down, won't start, etc. Really have my mind set on the Journey but don't want to make the mistake of buying a lemon.

Thanks again.

Overall very reliable from my standpoint. 2013's feature the improved brakes mentioned above which is a big plus. I was wondering about the price differences since U.S. model Crew and R/T are similar in content - R/T has the performance slant and is slightly better equipped here, but Canadian models differ quite signifiicantly. Look for a leftover 2014 and check all the rebates that are available on them - you might get pretty close to the range of the used ones you're looking at and still get a brand new car with a full factory warranty and all the improvements that have been incorporated in them over the years.

I don't think you'll be dissappointed going with a journey. You get ALOT of bang for the buck compared to other brands out there. When we were shopping for new vehicles, or budget was $25k and the DJ was the only vehicle that we could get brand new with all the features we wanted. Anything else for $25k would be used with 50+k miles on them. It was an easy decision for us :).

Thanks for all the input folks. Ended up going with the 2013 Crew. Wife wasn't willing to put down the additional $10k for a new one with similar features. Car checked out well with my mechanic. Had it professionally cleaned but not 100% sure the dog odour has been dealt with so that's something I'll have to monitor and deal with. Can't wait to pick up the car later on this week. Thanks again.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks for all the input folks. Ended up going with the 2013 Crew. Wife wasn't willing to put down the additional $10k for a new one with similar features. Car checked out well with my mechanic. Had it professionally cleaned but not 100% sure the dog odour has been dealt with so that's something I'll have to monitor and deal with. Can't wait to pick up the car later on this week. Thanks again.

tk-4,

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your DJ as well, I'm confident you'll like it.

Steam cleaning works well, may have to do it a couple of times though to get all the smell out.

tk-4,

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your DJ as well, I'm confident you'll like it.

Steam cleaning works well, may have to do it a couple of times though to get all the smell out.

The dealer will likely hire a professional detailer to get rid of the smell. There is this device that they can stick in the vehicle that emits a bacteria killing vapor in the vehicle that will greatly diminish the smell and should get rid of it after a couple tries if the smell is REALLY strong... For those of you that spend a fair amount of time at a hockey rink, it is very similar to the ozone equipment that most rinks have now to clean your equipment and get that hockey funk out...

The dealer will likely hire a professional detailer to get rid of the smell. There is this device that they can stick in the vehicle that emits a bacteria killing vapor in the vehicle that will greatly diminish the smell and should get rid of it after a couple tries if the smell is REALLY strong... For those of you that spend a fair amount of time at a hockey rink, it is very similar to the ozone equipment that most rinks have now to clean your equipment and get that hockey funk out...

Like DRL's, hockey funk comes standard in Canada!

Hockey funk...never heard that term before. Love it, lol.

If you've ever smelled it you'd understand... Much worse than any other sports equipment I've ever had the pleasure of stinking up! Yet the smell is kind of like comfort food... relaxing and reminds me of family and good times...