Head Restraint

tsanabria@bellsouth.net

15 hours ago, WarriorsFan said:

We were not in a accident. My husband was reversing and had his head laying on the headrest and it deployed! Does Dodge know this is a problem? Who's responsible for this? I'm placing a call and finding out...suggestions welcomed!

Yes! Call dodge and tell them your problem. Let us know their response.....:smokin:

Edited by jkeaton

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I thought my headrest was deployed, I found it odd that only one side was tripped.  After doing the research on how to put it back into position, I found that it wasn't deployed, it simply failed.  Looking into the now open unit, I can see where the plastic that holds the silver horizontal pin had simply broken.  Must be the Texas heat.

I called the dealership and asked if there was a recall on this, they said No.  I'm glad this didn't happen while I was on the toll way.  They wanted to charge $192 just for labor to fix this, I said "Yeah, we're done here."

This is a serious safety concern if anyone happens to be on the road in the heat, or whatever else caused the plastic to fail and let go.  I'm not buying a replacement since this will likely happen again.  And to make matters worse, there is a little red Air Bag indicator now lit on my display.  I'm hoping Dodge does the right thing and recalls these before someone is seriously injured.

Looking down the holes where the headrest used to be is a little attachment for two wires that need to be plugged in.  Is there any way to bypass this and trick my car into thinking I have replaced this?  I'm going to run a wire down and loop it through and see if that does it.  

Thanks,

Edited by MisterGinks
type-o

I have submitted my report to NHTSA.gov. (Your Complaint Number: 11101699)
I don't expect anything to happen, but if they contact me I will reply back here.

You'd think something that involved a DRIVER's HEAD would be considered a serious safety concern.  

We shall see.

• 1 year later...

Ouch, this isn’t the way I want to respond to a post, but......I experienced the deploying head rest a week ago. 

I was driving on the road  and heard a pop next to me and saw the passenger headrest popped up like it had hydraulics . About made me jump out of a moving car! It Looks almost exactly like the picture posted earlier in this thread. I took a closer look at it once i got home.  There was some broken plastic that held a small silver metal pin.

I did read the manual when I purchased the car and it explained to give the headrest the Heimlich maneuver to reset it.  With the pin mount broken, it will not reset.

I went to our dealer and expected to pay my normal fee of $150 to have them tell me it deployed! LOL!  But they looked at it for free and let me know that just the headrest is $540.00 not including labor to install it.   

I am not sure what is up in California and DJ’s but it seemed like no one had any front seats with headrests. Yikes, $500 tTo replace it was not sounding good. Yesterday I tried another auto dismantler near Sacramento and they happened to have one.  Black material and black plastic cover for $50.00. (That beat the ones for $130.00 on eBay.). I drove out there today and bought it.  

I will be changing the skins this weekend and installing it. One black headrest in a tan leather interior would look a bit odd.

There was a mention that the air bag light came on earlier in the post when theirs deployed. I do not have the message showing.  Maybe because of the failure in the plastic mount? The part that looks like a second stage boost did not separate in my head rest. Maybe that’s why? Only dodge knows...(ominous music playing in background)

Oh well, I will let you all know who it goes after I R & R it this weekend!

I also plan to file a report to the NHTSA as well with this event due to it being part of the airbag system. If there is a trend of this happening ,you never know where it may lead. At the very least just a tool for statistics for this failure.

Edited by martyman.geo
Spelling

• 2 years later...
On 8/29/2014 at 7:02 PM, Milous said:

They can be reset no problem (and are designed that way), the procedure is not difficult at all. If you need detailed directions let me know, or you can take it to the dealer of course.

Can you please give me the instructions on how to fix this. Mine deployed and we were not in an accident. My son was cleaning out the car and pulled on the headrest and it just deployed.

Thank you so much!0