One more wiring/harness question.

rednelb

I purchased a used 2012 AWD Crew. It has been a great vehicle. I did a bit of homework on the vehicle, but didn't think too much about the tow package. (It has every other option available)

Anyways, I installed the Curt hitch last week which was very easy. I also noticed the factory harness mounted by the spare. I read and re-read all these forums to figure out if this this is active and what I needed to get it all wired up. I requested my build sheet and is does NOT mention the Tow-Prep package.

Long story short, I got bored one evening and did a quick meter check on the harness. I was able to get 12V to ground off one of the pins. Nothing on any of the other pins. The trailer I ordered was ready today and I picked it up. The fellow mentioned to me that I should not use the Dodge harness and that I would be charged to turn it on. He also mentioned it would "burn up", whatever that means. He advised to get the Curt kit. I took the trailer home (short drive without lights) and ordered the Curt kit knowing I will have it tomorrow and that it will work just fine.

What I really want to know is:

Can I have the tow prep code added to my build sheet and get the harness "activated"?

What would be the better option? Aftermarket or Dodge harness?

In my line of work, getting these Delphi connectors and plugs is easy and would like to be able to make my own harness, or at least, get the pinout for the factory plug and go from there.

Thanks!

What I really want to know is:

Can I have the tow prep code added to my build sheet and get the harness "activated"?

What would be the better option? Aftermarket or Dodge harness?

In my line of work, getting these Delphi connectors and plugs is easy and would like to be able to make my own harness, or at least, get the pinout for the factory plug and go from there.

Thanks!

Better? That's a relative question. I don't know what the tech felt was going to burn up, but in the end it kind of becomes a matter of dollars and cents. It will cost more for the factory harness and activation. The aftermarket harness (I have a T-One brand) is just as reliable, but takes longer to install. I opted for this because of a bad experience with a factory harness on a Ford vehicle. After about ten years the aftermarket still works great.

Also, the Dodge harness is not just a matter of pinouts. It does have relays wired into it due to the low voltage LED lamps.

Ahh yes, the relays.. I saw those in a previous post.

At this point the Curt harness will be put in. Less "computery", which to me is a good thing.

I would still love to get as much info as possible on the Dodge end of it all. (Pinouts, schematics, signal type, etc etc)

On a side note, a few guys from work and I are working on tapping into the QNX and CanBus systems. (For lack of a better term) Not so much messing with the saftey and function of the vehicle, but all the other jazz that is going on. ( security, locks, lights, infotainment, custom touch screens, etc etc) All this ties into why I want to know more about the harness and how it actually functions.