Rear Fog Lights

Curious about that as well. I've noticed US-spec rear reflectors leak water around the edges, leaving a mess on the fascia. I've also heard they collect stones, which can be a hazard while washing. I haven't experiences it yet, in spite of the horrible ground-up roads around Metro Detroit.

Curious about that as well. I've noticed US-spec rear reflectors leak water around the edges, leaving a mess on the fascia. I've also heard they collect stones, which can be a hazard while washing. I haven't experiences it yet, in spite of the horrible ground-up roads around Metro Detroit.

They collect dirt for sure... I took mine off to tint them a couple weeks after I bought the car (brand new) and there was a ton of dirt in there... It wasn't small stuff either, their was some good sized sand particles in there... When you wash it let the hose run on them with no nozzle on it for a little bit to wash out what is loose...

I've also noticed that when I go down a dirt road, even just for a block or two, a bunch of dirt collects in the rear hatch jamb too... Very annoying.

They collect dirt for sure... I took mine off to tint them a couple weeks after I bought the car (brand new) and there was a ton of dirt in there... It wasn't small stuff either, their was some good sized sand particles in there... When you wash it let the hose run on them with no nozzle on it for a little bit to wash out what is loose...

I've also noticed that when I go down a dirt road, even just for a block or two, a bunch of dirt collects in the rear hatch jamb too... Very annoying.

Something I always do when I wash my cars is, after drying the exterior and finishing with the wheels, wheel wells, engine, I take a clean MF towel and spray-wash solution and go to town on the door and trunk (liftgate in this case) jambs. It does seem like the weatherstripping could be better back there to block dust from collecting, but giving the aerodynamic nature of the shape of the Journey (and any CUV, SUV, MPV for that matter), it's to be expected to see more dirt collect there.

I have to wonder though if the rear fog lights on the Journey in Europe (guessing all Fiat Freemonts?) would alleviate that reflector dirt problem.

Off topic, how do the reflectors look tinted? I'm off and on about modifying my Journey with anything permanent since I plan on getting into an SRT Journey, Grand Cherokee, or a sport wagon if the big three decide to make them by 2018. Trying not to do anything that will reduce its value...

I wonder how to feed the power to the rear fog lights. When I look underneath, see no power inputs available on my US SXT. I guess you have to tap into wiring to get the light.

If it's anything like the 300M, it's difficult and the wiring isn't already there. The NA-spec 300M does not have rear fog lamps, while the EU-spec 300M does (along with front "city-lights", halogen projectors, and headlamp washers). In order to add rear fog lamps, one must install a switch up front, and get crafty tapping into the foglamp circuit and pinning the tail lamp harness to turn on the secondary filament on the corresponding bulb. I've thought about doing it on mine, but it's a bit of work. The EU-spec headlamp switch had a switch for rear fog as well as a headlamp-leveling dial that the NA-spec switch does not have.

Are you driving backwards? What is the purpse of rear fog lights? I can see adding some wide scatter driving lights that come on with the back up lights....maybe I'm misunderstanding...you want to have rear fog lights on all the time when driving?

Edited by jkeaton

If I'm not mistaken, in Europe cars have a red "fog light" in the rear so others can see they are approaching another car. It's not to help you see, it's to be seen. Of course, I might be wrong on this.

That's correct. European cars have an additional red light in the back to help drivers behind them see them in thick fog. Parking lights tend not to be enough, so a brighter set of red fog lights help substantially.

They aren't intended to be on all the time, however it's not uncommon to see Audi's in the US with their rear foglights on constantly, even in clear weather, I suppose for some kind of cool factor.

Interestingly the "rear fog lights" are listed on the Fiat Freemont website for Australia under the standard features list. http://www.fiat.com.au/freemont

Other thing I found on that site if you click on the accessories button (PDF) at the bottom of the page are:

1 Side skirts (unpainted)

2 Tailgate garnish

3 Rear spoiler (unpainted) Hard to tell from the picture if this might keep the rear window clean.

None of these are listed on the Journey accessories list in Canada or The US.

Oh, I know what you mean now. When I was in The Netherlands several years back I remember seeing cars with one bright brake light on all the time. The mystery is solved! It's just here, the term "fog lights" refers to the front mounted lights below the bumper (if equipped). Thanks for the clarification. :lol:

Oh, I know what you mean now. When I was in The Netherlands several years back I remember seeing cars with one bright brake light on all the time. The mystery is solved! It's just here, the term "fog lights" refers to the front mounted lights below the bumper (if equipped). Thanks for the clarification. :lol:

Exactly. It's more of a bright indicator than an actual light with a usable beam. Usually another variant of the 3157 size bulbs. Some have pairs, some that were designed on other continents swap out a reverse light for a red rear fog light. If you've ever seen Top Gear UK early in the series reboot, when the car used for "celebrity in a reasonably priced car" was a Suzuki Liana, there is one red and one white light flanking the number plate. Red for fog, white for reverse. A lot of newer cars on US roads have a pair of reflectors in the rear fascia down low because the EU version has lights there, and the manufacturer wasn't interested in paying for multiple expensive large rear fascia tools to have a US version and a EU version. Cheaper to buy reflectors in bulk for markets that don't require rear fog lamps.

A lot of newer cars on US roads have a pair of reflectors in the rear fascia down low because the EU version has lights there, and the manufacturer wasn't interested in paying for multiple expensive large rear fascia tools to have a US version and a EU version. Cheaper to buy reflectors in bulk for markets that don't require rear fog lamps.

I've always wondered about that... Seems like a plausible explanation...

• 3 weeks later...

I went to an auto parts store to find sockets for these. They are not universal. So, I contacted the seller on ebay. Initially, I found the lights on ebay by searching: dodge journey mopar. They snap in just like the reflectors. Anyway, I contacted the seller for a set of bulb sockets, and the only thing that he could find was a harness: $181.00! And, there is no harness for the Journey. I had to send him my VIN.

So, I went to my local dealer. I brought the lights with me; still in the Mopar bags with a part number. He asked me if I was installing rear fog lights. I said yes. He said that these were for export only, but then asked me if I had back up sensors. I told him no sensors, only a camera. He found a harness for $68. It is not in the Chicago warehouse, so I have no idea how long it will take to get here.

Initially, I was going to wire them into the rear power port; but then they would be on all the the time. So, I took the left rear light housing off and there are 3 wires: white with a silver stripe, white, and black. I'm guessing that the black is ground, and one white is for brakes and the other tail lights. I figure that I could wire them into the tail lights because I have my front fog lights set to come on as soon as I turn on my lights.

Anyone know which wire is which?

The listing on ebay says nothing about export; only that they fit a number of mopar vehicles. The seller has been very helpful answering all of my questions except the last - which wire is which on the tail light. I'll ask my dealer when I pick up the harness. More than likely there is another harness that runs to the front and somehow plugs into the fog light circuit.

I was very active on the Dodge Nitro forum, but I do not have a clue how to post a link on this forum.

I still don't understand why these are useful... its basically another red light in the back for foggy day? Shouldn't you have your headlights on in the fog and therefore already have lights on in back??? I don't get it. Curious to see it though.

I still don't understand why these are useful... its basically another red light in the back for foggy day? Shouldn't you have your headlights on in the fog and therefore already have lights on in back??? I don't get it. Curious to see it though.

They're much brighter than the rear parking lights. Picture it as though the brake light is on, while driving as opposed to stopping. In the heavy rains Detroit just had this week that shut down all the major freeways and reduced visibility, those with rear fog lights were far more visible than those without.

The part number for the harness is:68080316AD. The harness has clips at each end to keep the wires away from the exhaust tips. My Crossroad has duals. The bulb number is 7440. What is weird is that each light has its' own power source, but they share a common ground. If there was a corresponding plug for an existing existing harness, it would be on the drivers side. No luck. I did look on both sides. I did find a harness that dead ended right in the middle of the spare beside the bumper cover, but it was not the same shape. Maybe this is for a trailer wire harness.

So, I cut off the harness end, and bared all 3 wires. Then I removed my left rear tail light, and unplugged it. Then I turned on my lights. I stuck the bared black wire into the hole for the corresponding black wire on the tail lamp harness end, and took a lucky guess with the white wire with the silver stripe. One bulb lit! Did the same thing with the orange wire and the other bulb lit. So, I will combine the white and orange wires from the harness and splice them into the white with silver stripe wire to the tail light and splice the black ground wires together. Then these rear fogs will only come on with my lights. My front fogs are set to come on as soon as I turn on my lights.

The Freemont has an entirely different rear bumper with different rear fog lights, so I do not know where these rear fog lights would have been used. But, they do fit a multitude of Mopar vehicles.

Once installed, I will post a picture and let you guys know if the lights do a better job at keeping the dirt out of the indent in the bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did the rear fog lights on my 2014. Got the 3 wire sockets and dual intensity led bulbs from http://taillight.xglobal.net/ . I made a harness that plugs into the 4 flat trailier harness plug. So now they are on low brightness with parking lights and full brightness with blinker or brakes. Looks really cool.

Edited by Kevin in MN