Parking Brake Light Comes On Randomly

Check the parking brake pedal to make sure it is all the way up. Try gently pulling up on the pedal to see if it moves toward you at all. Then, check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir before you drive it again. If it is low, call roadside assistance and have it towed to the nearest dealer as there may be a leak. If the fluid level is full and the brakes feel normal, then it may be an indication issue only. Schedule an appointment to have it repaired - this should be a warranty matter.

Edited by Journeyman425

• 3 months later...

I have this same issue. I know it's not the parking brake because if you have the parking brake on and put the truck in drive the "BRAKE" light flashes. I was sitting at a light, heard a loud beep and and when I looked at the dask the word "BRAKE" was illuminated. I know you guys probably say check the brake fluid, which is on my list to do but brake system is a sealed system.

I have this same issue. I know it's not the parking brake because if you have the parking brake on and put the truck in drive the "BRAKE" light flashes. I was sitting at a light, heard a loud beep and and when I looked at the dask the word "BRAKE" was illuminated. I know you guys probably say check the brake fluid, which is on my list to do but brake system is a sealed system.

Just because it is sealed doesn't mean that the fluid level won't change. It seems premature, but brake pad wear contributes to the fluid level going down...

Happened on mine... Low fluid level. The factory puts in a minimal amount of brake fluid and it doesn't take a lot of wear before going down a hill and applying the brakes to trip the brake warning light. Put in about 2 ounces of new brake fluid and no more "alerts".

The brake system is not a "sealed system". The top of the master cylinder has a cap for just the purpose of adding additional brake fluid.

Edited by webslave

I did check the fluid, it's still in the master cylinder,it's below the full line but above the low line. What I meant by sealed is brake fluid isn't a fluid you top off on the regular or burn like motor oil. I understand pad wear lowers fluid level but I've have plenty of cars wear brakes down and it never tripped the brake light.

of course while on vacation my daughter called and said her van started showing a brake light but she said it was stopping but not quite as good as it always did. i was about 700miles away so said have some one check the fuild and i would be home in a few days. i went by a dodge dealer and talked to them about the brake light with the manager and asked him if the rear brakes were wore down would that activate the brake light and he said no. so when i got home and checked the rears as i knew they hadent been changed ever and they were slap ass out so i put new shoes on and the brake light went off .....not saying your rear brakes are bad but get them checked it could be anything going wrong.

Edited by 2late4u

I disagree with JKeaton. If the level is between low and full, you do not need to add fluid. More then likely your pads are worn. Adding fluid will only cause it to spill out when you collapse the calipers. Check your pads. The rears need a special tool to rotate the caliper cylinder in, they just don't get pushed in. The fronts can just be pushed in. A lot of auto parts stores will loan you the special brake tool.

I disagree with JKeaton. If the level is between low and full, you do not need to add fluid. More then likely your pads are worn. Adding fluid will only cause it to spill out when you collapse the calipers. Check your pads. The rears need a special tool to rotate the caliper cylinder in, they just don't get pushed in. The fronts can just be pushed in. A lot of auto parts stores will loan you the special brake tool.

Well yeah, that's the correct way to do it. But just to test the theory, add some fluid and see that makes the light go out. Then you know it was low fluid level causing it. Then when he gets the time, pull the wheels, check the brakes, siphon excess fluid if reseating pistons while replacing worn calipers. He may have enough pad material to go another 5000 or 10000 miles.

Edited by jkeaton

Adding fluid will only cause it to spill out when you collapse the calipers.

Only if you overfill it. There is enough room in the reservoir above the full line to allow the calipers to be collapsed in a normal brake job. Agreed that the brakes should definitely be checked, but like JK says, adding fluid to test the theory will be OK until they can be properly inspected.

If the fluid is getting close to the "low" line, then going downhill will draw the fluid to the front of the reservoir, exposing the contacts for the sensor to the air, triggering the "Brake" light. When the car levels out, the fluid once again covers the contacts, turning the light off. It doesn't require adding fluid all the way up to the "Full" line...just enough (was ~2 ounces for me; I kept adding ~.5 ounce at a time until it stopped illuminating) to make the fluid level high enough going downhill to keep the contacts covered. The addition of a couple of ounces of brake fluid will not cause an overflow condition when putting new pads on, but, will keep the "Brake" light from coming on. We live in the mountainous area of south central PA and it took me about a week to figure out what was going on. I've since put new pads on the car and the fluid line is still just at the "Full" line, even after adding almost 2 ounces to keep the "Brake" light off.

If the fluid is getting close to the "low" line, then going downhill will draw the fluid to the front of the reservoir, exposing the contacts for the sensor to the air, triggering the "Brake" light. When the car levels out, the fluid once again covers the contacts, turning the light off. It doesn't require adding fluid all the way up to the "Full" line...just enough (was ~2 ounces for me; I kept adding ~.5 ounce at a time until it stopped illuminating) to make the fluid level high enough going downhill to keep the contacts covered. The addition of a couple of ounces of brake fluid will not cause an overflow condition when putting new pads on, but, will keep the "Brake" light from coming on. We live in the mountainous area of south central PA and it took me about a week to figure out what was going on. I've since put new pads on the car and the fluid line is still just at the "Full" line, even after adding almost 2 ounces to keep the "Brake" light off.

Nice catch!

Was going to disagree with your disagreement (ha!), but Webslave beat me to it... Seen it a thousand times. When you change the brakes, siphon out the extra fluid. Done deal.

I'm a little late to the party, but I agree with the consensus... Add a little fluid until you have the opportunity to get the brakes checked.