Crossroad Hitch Install

NitroNoMore

Hitch arrived today. It has a bracket welded to it for a 4 pin receptacle. The harness is coming from Canada, so it will take longer to get here. This harness, I believe, has a flat 4 pin connecter. Do this somehow clip to the bracket which is welded onto the hitch?

Hitch arrived today. It has a bracket welded to it for a 4 pin receptacle. The harness is coming from Canada, so it will take longer to get here. This harness, I believe, has a flat 4 pin connecter. Do this somehow clip to the bracket which is welded onto the hitch?

My hitch had a bracket to the left of the receiver which would only accommodate a seven-way round plug. We whizzed it off in the shop after installing the hitch and painted the weld points black so you don't notice where it was. The bracket made the hitch look uglier than it is already ( I personally dislike the look of the hitch, but I need it). I just tuck the four-way flat under the fascia when it's not in use.

The harness arrived today, from Canada: 1 week early. According to the directions, there is a piece, probably made out of plastic, that snaps into the round hole in the bracket, which you removed. This does not come with the harness! However, this piece has an oval hole that the 4-pin plug snaps into. I'll try and hunt it down. Also, to install the harness, you have to remove the rear bumper facia!

Now that I have the AHC code added, when the Service Manager looks up my VIN, will it appear as though it came from the factory with the Trailer Tow Prep Group? If so, I'm curious if my dealer has a standard price for a DJ for installing the hitch and harness, and then activating the harness.

I can't get it installed until I am able to lift the hitch into the car! I did something to my back yesterday when I dragged the box into my garage.

Edited by dhh3

Now that I have the AHC code added, when the Service Manager looks up my VIN, will it appear as though it came from the factory with the Trailer Tow Prep Group?

No. The Options Report is divided into four groups: Standard features, Options, Special Equipment and Dealer-Installed Options. Sales code AHC appears at the bottom under Dealer-Installed Options. This code is always present in this position on a Journey Options Report since they are never built with hitches and wiring from the factory. Trailer Tow Prep Group sales code is AHT, and if the vehicle was built with it at the factory then that code appears in the Options section.

AHC enables the power to the trailer harness. It tells the vehicle that the harness is present and energizes the fuse or relay in the TIPM so that there is power in the harness for the trailer lights. AHT signifies that the vehicle was built from the factory with Trailer Tow Prep group.

Journeyman - quick question. Is it possible to have a code added and flashed before you install the actual item? For example, if you added AHC to a VIN and then had a dealer install a remote start system requiring a flash, would you be good to go when you install the hitch at a later date or would it sill require another trip to the dealer?

Journeyman - quick question. Is it possible to have a code added and flashed before you install the actual item? For example, if you added AHC to a VIN and then had a dealer install a remote start system requiring a flash, would you be good to go when you install the hitch at a later date or would it sill require another trip to the dealer?

Yes, the sales codes can be added ahead of the actual accessory. I did this for dhh3. His VIN now has AHC even though he has not yet installed the hitch and wiring. One you reconfigure the car, the code stays there regardless of future reconfiguration events. Only if someone were to remove the sales code and then reconfigure the vehicle would the feature be lost. So, if I were to add AHC to your VIN now, and you add remote start before you add the hitch and your dealer reconfigures the car to recognize the remote start, it will pick up the remote start code and the hitch wiring code togerther. Later on when you add the hitch and wiring, it will work because it's already been reconfigured.

AHC enables the power to the trailer harness. It tells the vehicle that the harness is present and energizes the fuse or relay in the TIPM so that there is power in the harness for the trailer lights. AHT signifies that the vehicle was built from the factory with Trailer Tow Prep group.

Thank you for answering my question. My dealer does not have a set price for the hitch install, whether it came from the Factory or added, like I am doing. He basically said $400.00, give or take. I need to get my new decks stained/sealed, and then I will worry about the hitch.

Edited by dhh3

Yes, the sales codes can be added ahead of the actual accessory. I did this for dhh3. His VIN now has AHC even though he has not yet installed the hitch and wiring. One you reconfigure the car, the code stays there regardless of future reconfiguration events. Only if someone were to remove the sales code and then reconfigure the vehicle would the feature be lost. So, if I were to add AHC to your VIN now, and you add remote start before you add the hitch and your dealer reconfigures the car to recognize the remote start, it will pick up the remote start code and the hitch wiring code togerther. Later on when you add the hitch and wiring, it will work because it's already been reconfigured.

Thanks Journeyman - I might PM you at some point if that's ok? I'm going to have my dealership install the remote start in the next couple of months but they are generally terrible with adding codes so if I can preload some that might save some pain down the road when I add a hitch etc.

• 7 months later...

I found a local shop (Los Angeles) that only does hitches, all custom. It costs me $280 and will take about 2 hours. Saw photo's of Journeys they had done. They will cut out a square on the bottom of the rear fascia and the end of the hitch will protrude out of the fascia. Very clean look and not very noticeable either.

Any pics of this?

Harness was installed by The Body Shop when I had the rear bumper replaced (backed into a Truck - I was lucky. No metal damage) The directions for the harness say to remove the bumper first. The hitch is still in the box in my garage. I have graduated from a gallon of milk to 25 pounds, so the hitch won't be installed until I can lift it into the car!

Depending on wind and water conditions, I could hit 60+ with that 150 Yamaha! 4-blade SS prop. All welded aluminum hull. Mine had twin consoles, and it was wide enough to have 3 holes for seats on the front deck. I bought an extra seat so that the girls could sit up on the front deck, without the seat base poles, of course!

Edited by dhh3

I, too, am trying to install a Mopar hitch on my 2014 Crossroad. If I go to the Dodge web site, and go to Owners; then Accessories, it say that the Mopar hitch will not fit any Crossroad.

The part number for the hitch is 82213561. I googled this P/N, and a whole bunch of Dealers popped up. Each one said this hitch will fit the Crossroad; 2014 and 2015.

My Dealer says that the Mopar hitch will fit, but they cut out a piece of the lower bumper and install a black nasell that also has the 7 pin round connector attached, to give it a finished look. Just like on my Nitro. Journeyman425 just posted a picture, on another thread, of his DJ with the Mopar hitch, and the receiver is below the bottom of the bumper. So now I am really confused. On ebay, I searched Dodge Journey Mopar Hitch and one of the Dealers actually has a picture as the guys at my dealership described; the hitch is up in the bottom section of the bumper with a 7 pin round receptacle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAILER-HITCH-RECEIVER-09-15-DODGE-JOURNEY-OEM-BRAND-NEW-/181694950403?fits=Make%3ADodge|Model%3AJourney&hash=item2a4ddcec03&vxp=mtr

That's the correct p/n for the stealth hitch. Journeyman425 has a different style, as you mentioned. The stealth style has a 2" receiver that is oriented vertically, not horizontally. So you slso purchase a 90° insert, mopar p/n 82213549, that insets one end into the vertical portion of the hitch, and is secured by a pin. The other end, after it turns 90°, pokes out thru the cutout in the bumper, and presents a 2" receiver for inserting a bike rack or ball mount or rack or? Then life is good

My hitch is PN 82213561. Initially, my Service Writer told me that they would have to cut out a part of the lower bumper and install the nasell as you said. But, this was the case on only the earlier years: 2009, and 2010. I told the Service Writer this, and he looked it up and confirmed that I was correct. My hitch has a round bracket on the left side, for a round 7-pin connector. Journeyman425 removed that bracket on his. But, I found a part, PN 82213678001, which clips into the bracket, and has an oval hole that the 4-pin connector snaps into. This part cost $5.70. It is possible that they may have to cut out a small square piece in the lower valence to keep it from rubbing on the receiver. This remains to be seen. I am keeping this car for a while. I have had it since June 2014 and just passed the 9,000 mile mark. I will run out of Factory Warranty in time before miles! My extended warranty started from day one: free oil changes and tire rotations for 10 years/100,000 miles, 0 deductible. I guess I'm driving a Hyundai! Harness, PN 68080976AC is already installed. I backed into a truck, and had to have my bumper replaced. The Truck was out of the camera's field of vision, so I never saw it! The instructions for the harness say to remove the bumper so that the christmas tree clips could be pushed into the holes. So, I had the Body Shop install the harness before they installed the new bumper. No metal damage!

You are correct in saying that there is conflicting information out there as to whether the hitch would fit a Crossroad. The Parts Dept at my Dealer ensured me that it fits. Time will tell. I am in no hurry to mount the hitch until I get a replacement boat. No use in getting a boat until my back heals so that I can use it! But, I'm constantly looking for one.

Edited by dhh3

I have the Curt receiver that hangs below the bumper. It doesn't look bad at all. I wouldn't bother with some clown cutting my bumper and using the less robust receiver just to avoid seeing it. You wouldn't even notice mine if you weren't looking for it (and that's with the 2" receiver tube).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My back be damned! Hitch is going to be installed next Wednesday. Nothing in instructions about cutting anything. Just removing both exhaust hangers and replace once hitch is mounted. Picture to follow.

Now, my search continues for a boat. Considering Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW, with a Mercury 75 4-Stroke. I can add a second console and cover and it will fit in my garage length wise.

• 5 years later...

I just installed a Curtis Hitch on my 2013 Dodge Journey R/T Rallye Stage 3. 

I purchased the following kits:

CURT Manufacturing 56330 Vehicle-Side Custom 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness for Select Dodge Journey

CURT Manufacturing 55774 Dual-Output Vehicle-Side Trailer Wiring Harness Connectors for Select USCAR Vehicles, 7-Pin Trailer Wiring, 4-Pin Trailer
CURT Manufacturing 56229 USCAR Replacement Vehicle End Wiring with 24" Wires (7 Way Vehicle end with 24 in Bonded Wire)

CURT Manufacturing 13201 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver for Select Dodge Journey

CURT Manufacturing 58000 Easy Mount Electrical Bracket for 2" Receiver Tube

CURT Manufacturing 23518 Black Trailer Hitch Lock 5/8-Inch Pin Diameter Fits 2-Inch Receiver

CURT Manufacturing 45036 Class III 2" Loaded Ball Mount with 2" Ball

Attached a picture of what it looks like finished after 10 hrs of work. One of the reasons for the length of time is because for some stupid reason, CURT wire's do not follow standard colors. The colors from 56229 to 55774 to 56330 are different color schemes. I was nearly pulling my hair out for 4 hrs hahaha. Thankfully, I have documented it all so I made sense out of it. But man, frustrating!

3 - j12he8F.jpg

Edited by journey13
Typo