Purple Coolant in 2014

has anyone been able to find this new "purple" coolant that is used in the 2014 Journey? I hate this crap that they gotta keep changing it.

I have about three different types of coolant now between Ford changing theirs, now to the Dodges.

I've only found one place that carried it, and its outrageously priced.....

Mopar 68163848AA CONCENTRATE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT 10 YEAR/150,000 MILE
Item# 68163848AA
Dealer price: $57.70
Our price: $39.79

We stock it at my dealership. Yes, it is expensive but presumeably because in theory you should not be needing it for a very long time, if at all. Many folks don't keep a car for 10 years or 100,000 miles. $39.79 is a very good price. If you want to keep some on hand, then consider getting it at that price before it increases. And like yourself, I have 10 year coolant for my Journey, five year for my two 300M's, and three year for my old RX-7. Good thing my Merc outboard uses water!

Its a wallet busting $40 that wont be needed for 100k miles....and we're complaining? I just pumped $60 in the tank, and ill do it again in 5 days.....

Ha! Yeah, gas is definitely the most spendy fluid you'll be putting in the DJ.

I never looked at the coolant, didn't realize they changed it. Anyone have any details as to what is different? If not I could probably Google it another time...

Ha! Yeah, gas is definitely the most spendy fluid you'll be putting in the DJ.

I never looked at the coolant, didn't realize they changed it. Anyone have any details as to what is different? If not I could probably Google it another time...

LMGTFY:

Chrysler Corporation LLC. has released a new engine coolant for 2013 model year vehicles and beyond.

Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10-year/150,000 mile formula

p/n 68163848AA (concentrate) / p/n 68163849AA (50/50 mixture)

$53.35/gallon (concentrate) / MSRP $33.35/gallon (50/50 mixture)

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called OAT, for Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

OAT coolant is purple in color. It cannot be mixed with other types of coolant including Chrysler's existing HOAT coolant and only should only be mixed with approved OAT coolant of the same color. Maintenance of the cooling system is not required unless a repair has been made with loss of coolant or the coolant has been contaminated.

More info > http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Edited by jkeaton

Roughly .15/oz. Can get spendy depending on your spread rate and/or mix rate to jelly. I tried making mine at home with my wifes "magic bullet" that she never uses.....it was crappy. :spend:

Ha! Ummmm.... Last time I saw something that was called a magic bullet it wasn't used for making peanut butter. It was a "massager" of sorts. Maybe that was why the peanut butter was "crappy"! Ha! :lol:

LMGTFY:

Chrysler Corporation LLC. has released a new engine coolant for 2013 model year vehicles and beyond.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called OAT, for Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

OAT coolant is purple in color. It cannot be mixed with other types of coolant including Chrysler's existing HOAT coolant and only should only be mixed with approved OAT coolant of the same color. Maintenance of the cooling system is not required unless a repair has been made with loss of coolant or the coolant has been contaminated.

Thanks! No LMGTFY link for me to click on???? Ha! Nice to know.

Wow, the cost of 100k coolant is only .0004/mile. Its a deal breaker... :rockon: Where as fuel costs roughly .15/mile

Synthetic oil runs ( from the shop I go to ) .013/mile and standard oil is .013/mile

I'd like to see your math... the prices were for the concentrate which would be diluted. Could be even cheaper!

has anyone been able to find this new "purple" coolant that is used in the 2014 Journey? I hate this crap that they gotta keep changing it.

I have about three different types of coolant now between Ford changing theirs, now to the Dodges.

I've only found one place that carried it, and its outrageously priced.....

Mopar 68163848AA CONCENTRATE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT 10 YEAR/150,000 MILE
Item# 68163848AA
Dealer price: $57.70
Our price: $39.79

LMGTFY:

Sounds like, based on the article jkeaton linked, Chrysler has not released the formula yet... Given that, I wouldn't expect it to be available from aftermarket manufacturers for a while. Luckily, like we have jokingly alluded to, there shouldn't be a need to replace it (outside of work being done on the cooling system) for quite some time. Since you are under warranty you should be able to have any cooling system repairs done at the dealer free of charge for at least a few years; by then someone else will be offering it.

Edited by Lobitz68

I wonder when i flush the HOAT in my 2011 if it can be replaced with new OAT coolant....not sure if it would suffer any ill effects on gaskets and so on.

I would avoid that altogether as they are not compatible. Besides, my 300M uses five year HOAT coolant and there is no sign of corrosion in the cooling system even after 14 years and 291,000 miles. If you maintain the cooling system properly then you'll have no corrosion issues.

I wasn't saying I already needed anyway...But I like to have all the part numbers handy for oil filters,air filters, coolant, etc. You know, regular maintenance items.

That's just me.

I doubt I'll be needing any of this arm and a leg expensive coolant anytime soon! LOL....Just wondering why it was so expensive, and places to find it

in case....

I did find it on amazon finally from a MOPAR dealer. for $40 with free shipping. so, the stuff is out there and available to purchase.

Edited by gregsjourney