Adding automatic headlights

Journeyman425 - I still wonder why I can't PM you, but I had an epic thought about taking another approach at this. . . The Popular Equipment group (ALW)

Since our Journey is equiped with all the options besides the Universal Garage door opener, would adding the ALW sales code allow adding the LMG code or include it? Just an idea, is it even possible?

Sean - that is a great idea and logical thinking on your part. Unfortunately, the sales codes that are available to us as dealers to add generally pertain to Mopar accessories like hitches, mouldings, tonneau covers for trucks, remote starters and the like. Equipment packages like ALW as you mention, or AGV as in Flexible Seating are not codes that we are able to add on to your VIN since they are proprietary to the factory as the vehicle is built. Good thinking, though!

As for the PM mystery, perhaps one of our moderators or administrators might know? I received a PM today from one of our forum members; not sure why you are not able to get a message to me. Sorry!

Edited by Journeyman425

I have now been told by two techs working on my car, one to hook up the rear view camera, and one to hook up the underseat sub, that there is a harness hanging down behind the radio. The dealer tech that installed the camera when I purchased the car last summer was hoping that this was for the camera. No luck. He had to run the harness from the camera to the radio.

There are a few posts here that say I would not need a harness; just a new sensor and switch. I was under the impression that the harness was taped to the steering column. But, I could be wrong on this. I suppose that I could purchase the correct sensor for auto lights and heat, and see if there is an empty receptacle for another harness. If so, maybe this harness hanging behind the radio is the one. Maybe this harness is the one that runs from the sensor, because it is hanging down from somewhere behind the radio, to the auto switch! That would be nice! The tech that installed my dash speakers said the defroster panel was very easy to pop off. I could switch the sensor myself, try and pull this harness up, if needed, change out the switch and add have my dealer add the code.

Does this seem logical?

SEEMS logical... You already have a sensor, just the wrong one. Both use the same harness, they just communicate with the vehicle differently. I really don't think you need the harness. If you didn't already have the other sensor, then your harness would likely be tied up in the dash, but I don't think that is the case here...

Apparently the dealer cant add the code for automatic headlights since its a factory installed only code.

it is...for now. The same thing happened to LMK for the DRL but that code reappeared at the dealer level just as quietly as it went away. Time will tell for LMG.

I was unaware that the code can not be added. Bummer.

I didn't have them on my Nitro, and finally got used to turning them off and on. My 2006 Commander had them. Go figure.

Edited by dhh3

• 3 weeks later...

Location view

So this is where we are sitting now, the Dealership called and Chrysler added the sales code LMG to our VIN build sheet and I have an appointment to get the computer reflashed Monday 16Apr2015. The Rep said however it may or may not work becuase they don't know if the wire for the automatic headlights is hooked up between the sun sensor and the A/C heater module. The wire is a 22 Ga White wire with Violet tracer that is supposed to run from pin 1 on the sun sensor to pin 15 on the A/C heater module.

I'll update after getting the computer flashed on whether or not this works. Worse case scenario, if the wire doesn't exist I might have to pull the dash apart and run a jumper wire between the sun sensor and the heater module in the middle of the dash.

The Rep said however it may or may not work becuase they don't know if the wire for the automatic headlights is hooked up between the sun sensor and the A/C heater module. The wire is a 22 Ga White wire with Violet tracer that is supposed to run from pin 1 on the sun sensor to pin 15 on the A/C heater module.

The wiring should be connected to the HVAC module. My understanding is that the harness which connects to the sun sensor on an Auto Headlamp-equipped Journey is there, but simply secured to the steering column behind the dash. I'm not sure if they will work unless connected to a sun sensor. See what happens after the flash. If they don't work then you'll have to add the sun sensor and connect the wiring to it as described in the STAR case I posted on the first page of this thread.

Sun sensor

This is a snip of the HVAC control wiring diagram that shows the wires that are connected between the Sun Sensor and the A/C Heater control module and the corresponding pin locations. You can see that for the Auto headlights it's a white wire with a violet tracer connected to Pin 1 on the sun sensor. I was mistaken when I said there were more wires than on the diagram (I disregarded the ground wire).

• 1 month later...

So I'm interested in getting the auto headlights installed (if possible) as well as installing the factory fog light kit. Attached is a picture of my dashboard where the sensor would be if it had one. Mine is a '15 SE. Is this possible? If so, what does the dash removal entail? What sales codes would I need to have added?

As you know if you've been through the entire thread, you need a sun sensor and you need the automatic headlight switch.

Reports imply that the connector for the sun sensor is hidden somewhere under the dash, above the steering column (behind the instruments?) and that it is hard to get to.

You'll need to knock out the filler panel, plug in and mount the sun sensor and the switch and get the dealer to flash the code for the automatic headlights and it should just work . . . .

I just decided to get a new DJ - and the dealer made it easy for me.

So this would have to be drilled outor does that filler piece pop out? The light switch I would need comes with the fog light kit (two kits available, one with and one without auto headlights). post-10702-0-84959300-1433551618_thumb.j

Edited by bfurth

So this would have to be drilled outor does that filler piece pop out? The light switch I would need comes with the fog light kit (two kits available, one with and one without auto headlights). 20150605_181016.jpg

Looking at your photo it does look like that filler plug would come right out. If you pop the defrost cover up it should slide right out.

If you look at the location diagram I posted earlier, that was for a 2015. On the 2015's it shows the wire for the sun sensor running on the passenger side. It may be accessible if you pop the glove box out (previous years had the wire on the drive side). After checking to make sure that plug comes out of the dash and finding the sun sensor connector you will have to coordinate with a dealership to have the sales code added, the code wasnt available for the dealer to add so they had to open a star case to have Chrysler add the sales code. Good luck.

So the next question would be how to remove said defroster cover - the primary goal being no damage of any kind. I can look for wires later (and this might never happen, who knows - I've got to convince the Mrs. that it's worth the probably $200 or more this is going to cost to purchase, install, and activate everything).

Yeah, I'm sure it does (no screws to be seen on the finished dash). The question is: what piece comes out first, and where are the attachment points?

The last thing I want is to break anything while trying to figure out if it's even possible to add them. If I actually end up adding these things (and with the amount of work that my driveway needs, it's looking less probably at this point), I want it to look like they were built in from the factory. At least the light switch is easy enough - push and turn! I will probably end up adding fog lights at some point regardless - I like the look, and the added visibility is nice to have. Those are easy enough to do.

Yeah, I'm sure it does (no screws to be seen on the finished dash). The question is: what piece comes out first, and where are the attachment points?

The last thing I want is to break anything while trying to figure out if it's even possible to add them. If I actually end up adding these things (and with the amount of work that my driveway needs, it's looking less probably at this point), I want it to look like they were built in from the factory. At least the light switch is easy enough - push and turn! I will probably end up adding fog lights at some point regardless - I like the look, and the added visibility is nice to have. Those are easy enough to do.

Okay, So here goes:

Location view

This is the location view of the wiring diagram for a 2015 Journey, you can follow the wire between the two yellow circles I made that run from the HVAC Control module in the center of the dash board to the sun sensor. The diagram for 2015 clearly shows the wire running on the passenger side where 2014 and before models had the wire running on the driver side. Pulling the glove box out may allow you to see if the wire is floating around in there somewhere.

description

This is to just give you an idea of what is going on inside that sun sensor.

Defrost cover

This is how they say to remove the defrost cover. It just pops up. If you sit in the driver seat and look at the dash you can push down on the dash and get an idea of where the seam for the defrost cover is. The directions say to remove the A-Pillar covers first, which I found was unnecassary. Honestly I used a Torx head screw driver to get it started prying up (I had it in my hand from adjusting some headlights) and then just used my finger tips after that. however a small flathead screw driver would probably help avoid possible damage and best case scenario you would actually have a trim tool.

Sun sensor

Once the defrost cover is off, you can see how easy it should be to slide that plug out and pop a new sun sensor in. The manual shows to use that trim stick again, however you can get it out with your fingers, I think a trim stick is over kill for this step. There is an indexing bump on the sun sensor so it will only go in one way, spin it, it will drop in.

In all you are looking at $50 for the proper headlight switch, $15 for a sun sensor, and it cost me $60 to have the dealership open the STAR case and flash the computer.

So once you verify that you have the necassary wiring you should probably coordinate with a dealership to have them add the LMG sales code to your VIN. I ran into a problem to start with becuase the dealership didn't want to flash the code becuase they didn't install the components and didn't want to be on the hook if the sales code didn't make it all work. Once I begged them to take my money we got the ball rolling.

Edited by Sean Lester