Adding automatic headlights

I just picked up a 2012 Journey SXT and it doesn't have automatic headlights. Every other car I've ever owned had this, so I keep forgetting to turn them on. Is it possible to add this? I doubt it's as simple as installing the switch with the automatic headlights position. What do I actually need to do?

Thanks

Well, in the basic trim, you'll need the switch, the ambient lighting detector (IIRC, the little knobby thing near the centerline on the dash very close to the windshield) and then once those are wired in (and that is assuming the wire harness has the connectors; likely since it is cheaper to standardize wiring harnesses) you would still need to have the BCM flashed with a new options list for your vehicle that would have the option for automatic headlights (LMGS on my '13 R/T) added to it.

I didn't even think to check if it had the feature, I assumed it was standard. Now I have to hunt down parts and expend effort....

The sensor is easy enough to find, anyone know which switch I need? There's a few in the parts catalog with not so detailed descriptions.

• 1 month later...

The dealer changed my light switch to automatic and I have the sensor in the dash, but there is no code under my Vin to turn on the automatic feature. The vehicle is a 2014 SXT. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 DJ SXT and it has the ambient light sensor in the dash but the headlights do not come on automatically in the darkened conditions

My wife's 2014 DJ SXT, only 1 month old, her headlamps do come on automatically in ambient light. Go figure.

I have been asking my Dodge Dealer about it, well the salesman who thinks he knows everything about Dodges,

has these long winded reasons why this feature is not available in the SXT model, and yet it works fin on my wife's DJ.

All that I want is mine to work automatically. Can someone please tell me How I turn the feature on?

I have a 2013 DJ SXT and it has the ambient light sensor in the dash but the headlights do not come on automatically in the darkened conditions

My wife's 2014 DJ SXT, only 1 month old, her headlamps do come on automatically in ambient light. Go figure.

I have been asking my Dodge Dealer about it, well the salesman who thinks he knows everything about Dodges,

has these long winded reasons why this feature is not available in the SXT model, and yet it works fin on my wife's DJ.

All that I want is mine to work automatically. Can someone please tell me How I turn the feature on?

It's probably a sales code that needs to be added... Ask Journeyman425, he may have some insight.

I also have the sensor in the middle of the dash, but no auto headlights. My 2006 Jeep Commander had them! Come on, Dodge; get with the program. I'm curious to know if this item can be added. I'll do whatever it takes to get them. I have to add a Katzkin heated seat, as these can not be added by Dodge. I do not understand this at all.

Obviously it has changed in 20 years but I added auto headlights to my 94 grand cherokee laredo and aside from the sensor and switch there was an auto headlight module. Maybe there isn't a module in the new dodges but who knows

Edited by xcaliber81

We have a '14 SXT - Mine has the bump up for where the sensor goes but I don't know if it's just the molded plastic that is raised; I don't know what the sensor would look like. My wife and I were annoyed with the lights not coming on as well so I added the auto switch. Although it technically doesn't turn on or off from the ambient lighting (ergo, I must not have the sensor), the headlights do turn on with the engine and off when you turn the engine off. No more beeping at us that we left the headlights on. So, yes, they are more like DRL's, but not having to remember to turn them on and off is better in my book. The part was $35 on car-part.

Oh, and took all of 30 seconds to pop out the old switch and pop the new one in.

Edited by Johnson

We have a '14 SXT - Mine has the bump up for where the sensor goes but I don't know if it's just the molded plastic that is raised; I don't know what the sensor would look like. My wife and I were annoyed with the lights not coming on as well so I added the auto switch. Although it technically doesn't turn on or off from the ambient lighting (ergo, I must not have the sensor), the headlights do turn on with the engine and off when you turn the engine off. No more beeping at us that we left the headlights on. So, yes, they are more like DRL's, but not having to remember to turn them on and off is better in my book. The part was $35 on car-part.

Oh, and took all of 30 seconds to pop out the old switch and pop the new one in.

Can you post a link to the website or part number?

Thanks!

STAR Case

Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found

Chrysler Group LLC Version 3

Case Number:

S1308000070

Release Date:

02/28/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Auto Headlamp Request, Vehicle Is Not Equipped With LMG Sales Code

Discussion:

Owner would like to add auto headlamps to a vehicle that does not have the option. Required

components: auto headlamp switch, twilight sun sensor (harness take out with connector is secured

in the steering column area, needs routing to the center dash), addition of the LMG sales code to

activate. Perform a vehicle restoration to complete

• 4 weeks later...

STAR Case

Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found

Chrysler Group LLC Version 3

Case Number:

S1308000070

Release Date:

02/28/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Auto Headlamp Request, Vehicle Is Not Equipped With LMG Sales Code

Discussion:

Owner would like to add auto headlamps to a vehicle that does not have the option. Required

components: auto headlamp switch, twilight sun sensor (harness take out with connector is secured

in the steering column area, needs routing to the center dash), addition of the LMG sales code to

activate. Perform a vehicle restoration to complete

I printed this and will take it to my dealer. Thank you

• 1 month later...

Well, I copied this thread as mentioned. The harness is tied somewhere near the steering column. It has to be unhooked, and plugged into the sensor. I have both the harness and the sensor. Then all I would need is the light switch with the detent for AUTO. Now, the bummers: Dealer tech told me that they would have to take most of the dash board apart to plug the harness into the sensor! It would probably cost around $2,000 in labor. I'll just keep mine as it is.

Why wouldn't the harness be plugged into the sensor during manufacturing?

• 1 month later...

We bought a 2015 journey crossroad a couple months ago and have been having a horrible time trying to get automatic headlights. The dealership sold us the switch with auto but it doesn't work correctly. The lights are on when the car is on, including on the sunny days. We've been to the dealership 3 times and I told them about this post. They made it sound like they flashed the bcm multiple times but weren't able to find a way to make the auto feature work correctly. I tried looking under the dash by the steering column and all I could see for wires not hooked to anything is a wire taped to a large thing of wires behind where the switch is. (Does anybody have a photo of the harness mentioned above?) I popped the defrost cover of the dash and pulled the sun sensor up and it has 4 wires connected to it. Is it not possible to activate the auto headlights on a 2015 crossroad, or is there something I can tell the dealership to help them do their job? I started a case with dodge cares but it seems like they call the dealership and then call me and tell me what the dealership says. I thought dodge cares would know more of the technical details and help the dealership figure out how to get this working.

All this is because there are TWO components involved in the automatic headlight, coupled with the need for the dealer to add the LMG sales code as a 'dealer installed option'.

The code should cost between $25 and $50 to add.

The two components are the automatic headlight switch which replaces the 'regular' switch that manual-only headlight-equipped vehicles have AND the twilight sensor.

The sensor goes under the dash below that 'bump' neat the windshield . . . but the bump needs to be removed/cut, or the sensor won't be seeing daylight.

It should require a couple of hours for the entire job.

As to why SXTs and below don't have the feature as standard? It is to keep costs on the budget vehicles down and to entice the buyer to purchase a more fully equipped vehicle.\

Interesting enough, the Canadian edition of the Crossroad has the automatic headlights as standard equipment.

Edited by bramfrank

I was told that the bump is the sensor. The problem/labor cost is getting the harness already installed, taped to the steering column, up to and plugged into into the sensor.

How does the defroster cover come off? Maybe I can do the harness by myself, buy the switch and have them activate to code.LMG.

have been reading this post and if as you say after adding the switch they come on and stay on while the engine is running and they shut off after turning the engine off i would say that for all the trouble and considerable cost of adding the sensor and other parts the only downside i see is that the extra wear and shorter life of the head light life but picking up the safety and convince of auto- headlights. i wouldn't try to add the extra equipment..

We bought a 2015 journey crossroad a couple months ago and have been having a horrible time trying to get automatic headlights. The dealership sold us the switch with auto but it doesn't work correctly. The lights are on when the car is on, including on the sunny days. We've been to the dealership 3 times and I told them about this post. They made it sound like they flashed the bcm multiple times but weren't able to find a way to make the auto feature work correctly. I tried looking under the dash by the steering column and all I could see for wires not hooked to anything is a wire taped to a large thing of wires behind where the switch is. (Does anybody have a photo of the harness mentioned above?) I popped the defrost cover of the dash and pulled the sun sensor up and it has 4 wires connected to it. Is it not possible to activate the auto headlights on a 2015 crossroad, or is there something I can tell the dealership to help them do their job? I started a case with dodge cares but it seems like they call the dealership and then call me and tell me what the dealership says. I thought dodge cares would know more of the technical details and help the dealership figure out how to get this working.

How did you pop the defroster cover off? If I can get this cover off, maybe I can get a coat hanger down to the steering column, tape the harness to it and pull it up to the sensor. My Dealer wants $2,000 for labor, but maybe my way might work. Hopefully, my sensor has the recepticle to plug the harness into.

Could the 'headlight stuck on' perhaps simply be DRLs?

And, just for the edification of owners of vehicles without automatic headlights, this is what that dome in the top/center of the dash (where the the ambient light sensor is located) looks like on a vehicle that is equipped with them:

WP_20150204_14_40_08_Pro_1.jpg

both of my journeys have that and i don't have the auto lights, i am sure if it comes from the factory with auto lights then the sensor would be there but i don't believe dodge would put a sensor in there if it wasn't ordered for the auto lights. by the way when i bought my 2011 i asked the salesman and someone in the service dept. what that was and no one could answer that....LOL