Leaking Sunroof

wyoram

Had the same thing happen, I got a cover for my Journey from Empire Covers.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com

That is fine and dandy but, you still got a car with a "Leaky Roof"............

That isnt acceptable to me, I paid over 20 grand for a new car, it better be "right".

We are still in our loaner Journey right now and the dealership is bringing 2 more Journeys in from outta state for us to look at and do a equal trade...

Both of these Journeys have less than 5,ooo miles and our Leaky Jounrey now has 9,000 miles so that is a "plus" I guess.

Whole thing is frustrating though and the wife is TICKED.....

I finally got my car back Tuesday and it seems to be fixed. There is still some water that drips in, an occasional drip here and there. Much better than before and it does not leak into the headliner. I did a quick test when I picked it up I would turn the fan speed on high for the HVAC and have the sunroof vented. Then I would close it and could feel the pressure difference with my ears. So it is a much better seal.

That is fine and dandy but, you still got a car with a "Leaky Roof"............

That isnt acceptable to me, I paid over 20 grand for a new car, it better be "right".

We are still in our loaner Journey right now and the dealership is bringing 2 more Journeys in from outta state for us to look at and do a equal trade...

Both of these Journeys have less than 5,ooo miles and our Leaky Jounrey now has 9,000 miles so that is a "plus" I guess.

Whole thing is frustrating though and the wife is TICKED.....

your right but it's nice to jump in your car without getting a wet A** :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got my Journey back after they worked on the sunroof for a week. And guess what, it still leaks, except this time not just in the car wash, but during a light drizzle. They really should issue some sort of recall for this issue. It's kind of ridiculous to have to deal with this in a 5 month old car.

Hey..I have the same problem and I am now just starting to research the CT Lemon Law and what I can have done for me. I read this post and you all had a lot of the same experiences that I did w/the dealership etc. I got my Journey in 5/09 and love it except for this leaking, I sometimes get soaked on the way to work-just wrong! It has been to various dealerships and noone has helped, it almost feels like my car comes back worse than ever. I finally had the sunroof replaced at the end of the summer but now the rear leaks. Not to mention that I have terrible interior water marks and general damage from them pulling everything aprt looking for the leak in the first place! Any suggestions on where to start? I emailed lemonlaw.com already and just waiting for a reply?? Thanks!

I'm looking into my state's lemon laws as well. I'm not quite there yet, as this will only be the 2nd repair for the same issue, but I expect that it will not be fixed anytime soon. When I called the dealer to schedule the repair, he told me that he already had 5 Journeys being fixed for a range of issues in the shop and it would be at least a week until he could look at mine. I just finished putting a trash bag over the roof of my car, b/c its supposed to rain this week and somehow I have about a half liter of water that has collected in the rear door panel. As for where to start, my guess is as good as yours. I googled "lemon law" for my state and got about 50 hits.

I'm looking into my state's lemon laws as well. I'm not quite there yet, as this will only be the 2nd repair for the same issue, but I expect that it will not be fixed anytime soon. When I called the dealer to schedule the repair, he told me that he already had 5 Journeys being fixed for a range of issues in the shop and it would be at least a week until he could look at mine. I just finished putting a trash bag over the roof of my car, b/c its supposed to rain this week and somehow I have about a half liter of water that has collected in the rear door panel. As for where to start, my guess is as good as yours. I googled "lemon law" for my state and got about 50 hits.

I've seen this in a thread before. Check on the bottom of the doors andmake sure the small piece of tape was removed from your drain hole in the bottom of the door. Seems some were not removed at the factory!

Hey..I have the same problem and I am now just starting to research the CT Lemon Law and what I can have done for me. I read this post and you all had a lot of the same experiences that I did w/the dealership etc. I got my Journey in 5/09 and love it except for this leaking, I sometimes get soaked on the way to work-just wrong! It has been to various dealerships and noone has helped, it almost feels like my car comes back worse than ever. I finally had the sunroof replaced at the end of the summer but now the rear leaks. Not to mention that I have terrible interior water marks and general damage from them pulling everything aprt looking for the leak in the first place! Any suggestions on where to start? I emailed lemonlaw.com already and just waiting for a reply?? Thanks!

One thing I did to get Chrysler moving in the right direction for me was to call their customer service number in the lemon law book that came with the vehicle. The person I talked to was helpfull. At that time he said he was going to schedule an appointment with their traveling mechanic. Supposedly that person has a big influence on lemon lawing your car from Chrysler's standpoint.

Within minutes of getting off the phone with him my dealership called me telling me when that person could look at my car. Then the waiting process began. It took over a month for the guy to look at my car and they had my car for over a month too. So far so good. I haven't noticed any drowning water inside the cabin.

For the final steps I took were.

1. Contact Chysler and mail into them the notice to tell them this is your last chance to fix it or you will be hearing from my lawyer.

2. Also tell the dealership working on the car that this is your last chance to fix it.

3. Get a lawyer to handle the rest.

• 1 month later...

Well it has been awhile since I was on here and ALOT has happened........

The 09 silver Journey of my wife's was still not fixed...still leaking water thru the moonroof and more days in shop added up to "Down Time".

So, after being fed up and frustrated, we got traded out of it and got another Journey SXT….this time without a Sunroof. The local dealer went all the way to Vegas and got us one at an Auction with less miles and gave us a free roof rack with it.

We have had it for about a month now and are happy with it. :happy feet:

I did get a call from Chrysler Customer service about 2 weeks ago. Seems they monitor these type of forums and seen my frustrated posts. Kelly from customer service wanted to express their concern and asked if the trade in went well. They also offered to send us one month car payment for the trouble of us being without our brand new car for over a month and 2 years of oil changes. I got the check yesterday.........

THANKS Kelly and Chrysler !!!

Well it has been awhile since I was on here and ALOT has happened........

The 09 silver Journey of my wife's was still not fixed...still leaking water thru the moonroof and more days in shop added up to "Down Time".

So, after being fed up and frustrated, we got traded out of it and got another Journey SXT….this time without a Sunroof. The local dealer went all the way to Vegas and got us one at an Auction with less miles and gave us a free roof rack with it.

We have had it for about a month now and are happy with it. :happy feet:

I did get a call from Chrysler Customer service about 2 weeks ago. Seems they monitor these type of forums and seen my frustrated posts. Kelly from customer service wanted to express their concern and asked if the trade in went well. They also offered to send us one month car payment for the trouble of us being without our brand new car for over a month and 2 years of oil changes. I got the check yesterday.........

THANKS Kelly and Chrysler !!!

Pretty nice! It still probably doesn't make up for all your frustrations but at least it takes the edge off your sorrows.

• 2 months later...

for the person who was told they were fixing a switch and a power steering issue, those wre found i think in very early 2009 or latet 2008. the switch was bad and the power steering reservoir was a bit shallow causing noise when yuo made a right turn i think. the temp fix was to put xlightly more fliud in untilthey could change the reservoir. look bakc under TSBs it it there.

• 6 years later...

My 2014 Journey was great in the beginning, until the "California El Nino rains" brought to light the car's roof problems. After the rains began, I  noticed water stains on the roof above the cargo area, and with weeks of rain, the cargo area was wet daily. I had to leave a towel in the back to soak up all the water. When we brought the car into the dealership, I was told that they would cover the cost to repair, UNLESS, they could find debris that I should have cleared off myself. Really? What does that mean. I wash my car and take it through a car wash, but was never told that I should clean the "gutters" on my car.

Well, of course, they found some debris, so they told me that the cost ($300+) was mine to pay. I live in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley and during the work week, my car is in the employee parking garage. At home my car is parked in front of my house.

I am almost done paying off this car and I am frustrated that apparently, this car should have come with it's own umbrella! This is a car that is advertised to be able to withstand the wear and tear of an active lifestyle. Apparently this is not true. This car wasn't tested for weather. I like this car, but am disappointed with the choice in manufacturing NOT to test for water, or worse, the choice to choose a less expensive, less water-tight seal. This is my first Dodge, and it may be my last.

Clear out the drain tubes . . . that's a maintenance issue, rather than design related.  If you get crud blocking a drain pipe the water has to go somewhere.  Every sunroof equipped vehicle has the same issue.

Rather than blacklisting Dodge, don't buy sunroof-equipped vehicles if you aren't willing to maintain them properly and don't wish to suffer the consequences.

Edited by bramfrank

Has nothing to do with properly maintaining it when it is a brand new car and has been returned to repair shop 7 times before the car has 1,000 miles on it.....

But, we got rid of it and traded into another newer Journey only to have electrical charging problems in the new one.

Now we are Journey free and liking it.....

Yes, hardly a maintenance problem when it leaks from day one, like mine did, and still does for that matter. It doesn't leak during rain, but it DOES leak when taken thru a car wash. According to the service advisor, Chrysler will NOT warranty leaks of this nature, just those that occur during normal rain storms. 

in a german forum we had a similar problem. solution was to replace the frame* of the sunroof, which wasnt glued in properly.

so for that matter it IS in fact a warranty issue.

*also they didnt specify exactly which part is called "the frame"

Edited by nehvada

Why do people put up with this kind of service?  I had my sunroof fixed in 1 visit when it leaked .  The dealer replaced the entire freaking thing because they knew I would keep coming back until it didnt leak!  You pay big money for something new, it better be right or fixed!  If they refuse to fix it, keep going in.....