Leaking Sunroof

wyoram

Took the car through the car wash and saw my sunroof was leaking. It was not just a drop here or there. It was a pretty good leak. So I take it in to the dealership and they reset the PCM to see if the sunroof was not closing all the way. Well that didn't work. Then they did the drain hose thingy. Now this is where I have to scratch my head.

So you want to check to see if it is draining properly because my sunroof is supposed to leak like this? Doesn't sound good to me. Well one of the tubes was plugged up anyway and they left a nice little water stain on the headliner. Which had better get fixed! So now they want to try a new seal. Has anyone come up with a solution to this fix. I have read some people having the same issue, but have not heard of a fix. The only fix I have heard was to drive the car right through the showroom floor and tell them to keep it.

Thank god I live in a dry climate. But still it should not leak like it does.

I had a similar issue. The dealer tried for 2 days, all possible ways to resolve the leaks from checking the drain lines to re-re-adjusting the sunroof. They swapped the sunroof with another Journey on the lot. That sunroof was worse. They had to order a new sunroof and the problem was solved! No More Leaks, even though the car wash. They found the rubber seals that were on the glass section of the sunroof did not seal properly, might have been an old design or from bad stock. The new roof looks like a new design, more and better support frame and rubber seals. See if the dealer can replace the sunroof glass. Worked for me.

I had a similar issue. The dealer tried for 2 days, all possible ways to resolve the leaks from checking the drain lines to re-re-adjusting the sunroof. They swapped the sunroof with another Journey on the lot. That sunroof was worse. They had to order a new sunroof and the problem was solved! No More Leaks, even though the car wash. They found the rubber seals that were on the glass section of the sunroof did not seal properly, might have been an old design or from bad stock. The new roof looks like a new design, more and better support frame and rubber seals. See if the dealer can replace the sunroof glass. Worked for me.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check into that for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out of town for work and was just now able to get the car into the dealership. They went to replace the seal. Didn't fix it. So they are going to drop it off at the bodyshop to try and fix it. I will let the dealer do their thing and then tell them to change out the whole sunroof assembly. Also I think the dealer did not think it leaked that much. So I took it through the car wash and took a video of it leaking. At that point I told them this was unacceptable and needed to be fixed. They seemed surprised it poured that much.

They tried a new seal and then took it to the bodyshop to see if they could fix it. No luck. Now they are going to order a new sunroof assembly and new headliner. From what the dealership told me is the seal on there now is more of a dust weather strip. After all the work is done I will post up some before and after pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Today the dealer replaced the whole sunroof assembley and put in a new headliner. Now it is worse than before. Ran the car through the car wash and at one time I saw a spray of water come through as well as the constant drip of water coming through. As soon as I went to turn the overhead console was filled with water and spilled all over the seat and electronics. The headliner is already soaked. I took it back immediately to the dealer. The service tech looked at it and was just as upset as me. About the only thing he could figure out is the hole cut out for the sunroof is too big for the sunroof. He will making some calls tomorrow to Dodge and let me know by tommorow.

At this point it is not looking good for my Journey. Based off of Wyoming lemon laws my car qualifies for it.

More will be revealed tomorow. The saga continues.

Man, that sux!! I have never had any problems with my sunroof. I can't imagine the hole being too large.

The only thing about the Flex/Edge is you would be giving up your flexible (3rd row) seating. That's why we bought the Journey. To get the 3rd row, you would have to move up to Higlander/Traverse/Pilot/Acadia land, which are all more expensive.

Let's just hope it can still be fixed.

I would be looking at a Venza,Edge,or a Journey without a sunroof as a side question why did the dealer NOT take it through a car wash why was it up to you??

I'm glad I have no sunroof

That is a pretty good question. I think the dealer just runs a garden hose over it. I have told them before the leak only happens in the auto carwash. I haven't quite got to lemon car status. The service department was sneaky with that. In my state the requirements are- Must be taken in at least three times for the same problem, and be a safety issue or affect the value of the car. If they can't get it fixed I might have to pursue the lemon law route.

The Dealer on paper only has the car going in for one trip. The very first time I took the car in they left the invoice open(did the TSB on the drain hose). So for the second time the car was not worked on. That was the time they were going to change the seal only and then ended up taking it to the bodyshop. The bodyshop guy was going to install the new seal and tweak the adjustment. After the bodyshop seen the new seal he said it would not work. Dealer informed me there plan was to replace the whole assembly. Kept my car for almost 2 days.

Now for the he said she said stuff. Dealership told me the bodyguy said if the new sunroof assembly does not work he would cut the roof off and replace it without a sunroof. That is his idea of how it fix it. Wow that is a lot of work that I don't want done on a new car. No paperwork was done for this. Originally I thought the seal was replaced and it was not.

The car has been to the dealership on three different occasions. But the way the dealer has it on paper it has only been there once. I have the first ticket and the second ticket with different invoice dates. So I can prove it has been there at least two times. Gonna talk to the bodyshop tomorrow. I happen to know him pretty well. Maybe he has some type of paperwork. If not he will be able to provide with some more info.

Things are shaping up to be kinda shady from this point on. I am going to be real carefull in what I post on this matter. The best thing I can do is not post anything else, so it does not possibly come back to bite me.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending to this.

I finally figured out how to post vids. The first vid you can see the water dripping and this was just from the pre soak cycle. Then you can see when the sprayers pass over the sunroof. For some reason it did not want to stay focused. Sorry. And the second vid is of the sprayer passing over again.

th_sunroofmovie001.jpg

th_sunroofmovie001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took the car to another dealership yesterday and they wanted to put in another weatherstrip seal :rolleyes: Plus they wanted to do some other TSB. The power steering and brake sensor. I have not had any issues with these yet. I have mixed feelings about them doing that work. The car might never need this work done. It isn't costing me any money, but on the other hand I think the dealer is doing it just to get the warranty money for performing the work. Parts will be in Wednesday. So far my money is on it still leaking.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Of all the problems I've been having with my Journey, I'm sure glad my sunroof isn't leaking! For more than just the obvious reason, I'm allergic to mould!

I can't believe that someone would seriously suggest replacing the roof of the vehicle! Why wouldn't they just give you a NEW Journey? I suppose the cost would be substantially different, however, I'd be very concerned about what kind of damage the water is doing to the electronics and what's growing in your headliner (or wherever else the water could reach)!

Not only that, but the sunroof costs extra, so unless they are going to reimburse you the cost of the sunroof, what's the point? They are affecting the value of your vehicle by doing that.

I feel really bad for you, especially when you state that you feel as though you have to be very careful what you post. If you're posting the facts, there shouldn't be anything that could come back and bite you. I mean, it's not like you're telling us the sunroof is leaking when in fact you accidently forgot to close it when you went through the car wash.

I suppose things work a little differently in the States though...we don't have a "lemon law" in Canada. It's arbitration, which is PAINFUL, or you're stuck with your vehicle unless you can pawn it off on someone else.

• 3 months later...

Our Journey was taken to the dealership this morning for the 3rd time for the leaky roof...........

They claimed they fixed it twice before only for it to storm and find out the seats are still wet and see drips coming from the roof heating/ cooling vents.

My wife is absolutely ticked off; wishing she had never got'n it....

It has been 9 months and this Journey has been in the shop for over 30 days for problems.

Our Journey was taken to the dealership this morning for the 3rd time for the leaky roof...........

They claimed they fixed it twice before only for it to storm and find out the seats are still wet and see drips coming from the roof heating/ cooling vents.

My wife is absolutely ticked off; wishing she had never got'n it....

It has been 9 months and this Journey has been in the shop for over 30 days for problems.

Start looking at your lemon law in your state!

• 1 month later...

ok, now i am disheartened. we test drove a 2010 RT today, loved the vehicle, and are/were probably going to buy it. it is everything we are looking for. we have had a ford edge, and a nissan murano, loved both of those but still traded them for some reason. anyway, all of our vehicles have sunroofs, that's just a requirement of ours, but with the roof issues on the Journey, i might have to pass now. we have had a vehicle that we had to go thru arbitration with before with our state's lemon law, and it is a painful and stressful process, especially for the manufacturer to tell you that they recommend you let the dealer "try" to fix it one more time (this was after 4 attemps for the same issue). needless to say there were some choice words spoken to the representative of chevrolet ( it was a cavalier) and we traded the car shortly after that.

as for the original poster of this thread, i would be more pissed at the dealer who kept your service ticket open. that is a very bad sign of a very bad service dept. service dept's are to close tickets every time a vehicle comes in and leaves. i have worked for many dealerships in the past, and this was policy. we were not allowed to keep a ticket open, UNLESS the vehicle was still on our premises. i would contact the owner of that particular dealership, not the manager. and i would discuss this matter with them. most times, you get farther when you express your concerns with owners. good luck and please keep us posted.

OK 7 repairs and over 42 days in the shop and still the roof leaks. :banghead:

We are requesting the Journey to be bought back this week.

They gave us a loaner Journey and said they would buy us out of it and get us another vehicle so we will see.

My wife still likes the Journey just no moon roof this time.

ok, now i am disheartened. we test drove a 2010 RT today, loved the vehicle, and are/were probably going to buy it. it is everything we are looking for. we have had a ford edge, and a nissan murano, loved both of those but still traded them for some reason. anyway, all of our vehicles have sunroofs, that's just a requirement of ours, but with the roof issues on the Journey, i might have to pass now. we have had a vehicle that we had to go thru arbitration with before with our state's lemon law, and it is a painful and stressful process, especially for the manufacturer to tell you that they recommend you let the dealer "try" to fix it one more time (this was after 4 attemps for the same issue). needless to say there were some choice words spoken to the representative of chevrolet ( it was a cavalier) and we traded the car shortly after that.

as for the original poster of this thread, i would be more pissed at the dealer who kept your service ticket open. that is a very bad sign of a very bad service dept. service dept's are to close tickets every time a vehicle comes in and leaves. i have worked for many dealerships in the past, and this was policy. we were not allowed to keep a ticket open, UNLESS the vehicle was still on our premises. i would contact the owner of that particular dealership, not the manager. and i would discuss this matter with them. most times, you get farther when you express your concerns with owners. good luck and please keep us posted.

Well I don't really have anything to go on as far as talking to the dealer that left the open ticket. They are now shut down. But I do have the physical paperwork for the visits with two different dates and same mileage. So if it becomes an issue I have proof.

I called the dealer yesterday and they say they are waiting on one more part. Should be in this week. Today makes it day 29 at the shop. And the lousy dealer gave me a LOUSY 99 Ford Crown Vic(Old cop car- you can see the faded Police sticker when the sun is just right).

When it first went in the Chrysler rep was there to work on it. From what the Service manager has told me is they found 3 pinholes in the drainage tray and replaced it with a new one. Drain tube on the driver side has a hole in it. There is no drainage tray for the rear of the sunroof. It was supposed to have one. Which I told them numerous times.

For the test they said a water hose will be running over the sunroof for an entire day to ensure that water does not end up where it is not supposed to be. What a load of crap. But that is Dodge's official test. When I first get it back I will be running it through the auto car wash and see what happens. I like to keep my rides clean and you better bet I am not going to stand outside in the cold this winter to wash my car. The auto car wash is one of my best friends in the winter LOL.

If it leaks like in the videos above my laywer will be getting a call from me. Plus I told the dealer this is your last chance. Any further action will be from my laywer.

Yes the drainage is messed up. Just don't put a band-aid on it that will fail eventually. The real issue is water getting through the seal! Fix the leak! I can't seem to get that into there heads.

OK 7 repairs and over 42 days in the shop and still the roof leaks. :banghead:

We are requesting the Journey to be bought back this week.

They gave us a loaner Journey and said they would buy us out of it and get us another vehicle so we will see.

My wife still likes the Journey just no moon roof this time.

I am on visit number 4 and if it wasn't for the lack of parts availability I would have had mine back by now to see if it still leaks. For sure you have a good case for lemon law regardless of which state you are in. Most states consider a minimum of 3 visits, 30 days for repair and you have met those.

I hope they get you a new ride with no sunroof. Hopefully you will not have to get a laywer involved.

I am on visit number 4 and if it wasn't for the lack of parts availability I would have had mine back by now to see if it still leaks. For sure you have a good case for lemon law regardless of which state you are in. Most states consider a minimum of 3 visits, 30 days for repair and you have met those.

I hope they get you a new ride with no sunroof. Hopefully you will not have to get a laywer involved.

Lemon Law in Kansas is 10 times for repairing the same fault but, I have over 45 days that it has been in the shop for a Vehicle that was bought with 8 miles on it and is only 8 months old.......

Luckily I am U.S Army (21 years in) and the Dealership is right off base; they know they would get BLASTED if they didn't work with me.

So far, we have a rental and they have located 3 Journeys without moon-roofs for us to look at next week.

We will get bought out of ours and get put into one of these at a lower price than what we owe on ours......

• 2 weeks later...