Trailer Tow FLASH (2014 Journey Crossroad)

sharkbait8574

The short of it- Dealership could not flash computer as our car is not communicating with the Chrysler group. Any thoughts?

Long story: We just purchased a new '14 Dodge Journey Crossroad with a trailer tow prep group option. My husband and I were upset to find not only no receiever but also to find the wiring in the glove box. We both assumed it'd come "tow ready" like the photos on the website suggest.

Any who... installed receiever from Curt and plugged in wiring harness ourselves as the dealer wanted 3 hours labor (@ $98/hour) to install the trailer wiring harness. Lights are inoperable, so we assume our car needs flashed.

The dealership recommended we arrive at opening today (Saturday morning). At first we were informed that the Chrysler Network was down and it'd be a little longer. Next we were informed that the network is fine, but it cannot communicate with our vehicle for whatever reason. We were told that they would not be able to spend the hours needed to troubleshoot and would need to come back during the week. We were also asked WHO installed the wiring harness. Do they assume the problem is there? Will we not be covered now because it was a DIY?

The dealership is not conveinent and now I must either take the day off and sit, or find a ride and be late to work. My biggest fear is what is this going to cost me?

Stories like this just kill me. Here's how we're going to try and help you:

Please post or PM the last eight digits of your VIN number with your approximate mileage. I work for a dealer and will try to add the appropriate sales code to your build sheet options so that when you return to the dealership, all they will have to do is reconfigure your vehicle on their computer so the new sales code is picked up. That will enable power to the trailer tow wiring harness. A reconfiguration, or restoration, is much like restarting your home PC after a major update. The updates don't take effect until the computer is restarted. Same general idea here. A restoration takes about 10 minutes to do, and your selling dealer really should do it for you at no charge since they could not/would not do it for you the first time and now you have been inconvenienced by having to return a second time. Three hours to install the trailer tow harness? As you saw, it is one connection and then attaching it to the inside of the rear fascia. No big deal.

Like yourself, I was surprised at the content of the Trailer Tow Prep Group. When I ordered my car, I immediately became suspicious of the content when I saw the price of the package. So, I knew to order a hitch as well. And like yourself, even though mine was built with the tow package, we still had to reconfigure the car to make the lights work! I'll never be able to figure the logic out on that one!

Stories like this just kill me. Here's how we're going to try and help you:

Please post or PM the last eight digits of your VIN number with your approximate mileage.

Mileage 800 (approx)

I read posts of yours before throughout the forum while I was doing research on our dilema so I knew the car just needed a reconfiguration but the dealership seemed clueless.

When I called to set up a time to come in, they told me they'd need the vehicle well before 11, citing it could take 30 minutes or it could take 3 hours. So we decided it was best to swing in when they first opened on Saturday morning. The service guy was NOT expecting us and I truly wonder if anyone knew what they were doing.

It appears that the tested the pigtail for power- which if I am correct, there is no power supplied until it's flashed.

So was the "network down/network cannot connect to YOUR particular car" excuse b.s. or is there a bigger problem with my car? And, more importantly, am I going to be responsible for repairs?

The trailer tow harness was in the glove box with instructions included. How were we to know that we were not expected to install?

I need two more digits - they are actually two letters which precede the numbers you posted - beginning with "e"

ET262388

I called about dropping it off and the service manager said it was def not their equipment.

Do you have pictures of the package? If so could you post?

I'm wondering if it plugs into the connector shown below that located just behind the spare tire on the drivers side?

I'll take a pic later but it is behind the the spare tire (behind the rear fascia). It looks just like your pics

Mileage 800 (approx)

I read posts of yours before throughout the forum while I was doing research on our dilema so I knew the car just needed a reconfiguration but the dealership seemed clueless.

It appears that the tested the pigtail for power- which if I am correct, there is no power supplied until it's flashed.

So was the "network down/network cannot connect to YOUR particular car" excuse b.s. or is there a bigger problem with my car? And, more importantly, am I going to be responsible for repairs?

The trailer tow harness was in the glove box with instructions included. How were we to know that we were not expected to install?

You are correct in that the trailer tow harness will not have power to it until a reconfiguration is done after adding the correct sales code, which they have done. It is possible that their WiTech system was down while you were there - ours has gone offline from time to time - but it affects all cars which use the system, not a particular body style. Anyway, I checked your sales codes and all the proper ones have been added by the dealership. The lights should work after a restoration. There is also a fuse located under the passenger side of the dash - I believe it is a 20 amp yellow fuse but not positive - that protects the trailer tow harness. That was the first thing I looked at when my lights failed to work the first time I tried them. This was before I knew that the sales code still had to be added to my VIN despite the car coming from the factory with trailer tow prep. You might just check the fuse and a) make sure it's physically there, and b) make sure it's not blown. I'm sure it's fine and the issue is on the configuration side but it never hurts to check the basics.

Interior Fuses

The interior fuse panel is located on the passenger side under the instrument panel.

Cavity

Cartridge Fuse

Mini-Fuse

Description

F100

30 Amp Pink

110V AC Inverter – If Equipped

F101

10 Amp Red

Interior Lights

F102

20 Amp Yellow

Cigar Lighter in Instrument Panel/Left Rear Power Outlet

F103

20 Amp Yellow

Power Outlet in Console Bin/Power Outlet in Rear of Console

F105

20 Amp Yellow

Heated Seats – If Equipped

F106

20 Amp Yellow

Rear Power Outlet

F107

10 Amp Red

Rear Camera – If Equipped

F108

15 Amp Blue

Instrument Panel

F109

10 Amp Red

Climate Control/HVAC

F110

10 Amp Red

Occupant Restraint Controller

F112

10 Amp Red

Spare

F114

20 Amp Yellow

Rear HVAC Blower/Motor

F115

20 Amp Yellow

Rear Wiper Motor

F116

30 Amp Pink

Rear Defroster (EBL)

F117

10 Amp Red

Heated Mirrors

F118

10 Amp Red

Occupant Restraint Controller

F119

10 Amp Red

Steering Column Control Module

F120

10 Amp Red

All Wheel Drive – If Equipped

F121

15 Amp Blue

Wireless Ignition Node

F122

25 Amp Natural

Driver Door Module

F123

25 Amp Natural

Passenger Door Module

F124

10 Amp Red

Mirrors

F125

10 Amp Red

Steering Column Control Module

F126

10 Amp Red

Audio Amplifier

F127

20 Amp Yellow

Trailer Tow – If Equipped

F128

15 Amp Blue

Radio

F129

15 Amp Blue

Video/DVD – If Equipped

F130

15 Amp Blue

Climate Control/Instrument Panel

F131

10 Amp Red

Passenger Assistance/Hands Free System – If Equipped

F132

10 Amp Red

Tire Pressure Module

F133

10 Amp Red

Spare

Parent topic: FUSES

ET262388

I called about dropping it off and the service manager said it was def not their equipment.

I'll take a pic later but it is behind the the spare tire (behind the rear fascia). It looks just like your pics

So that confirms the connector is for the two package. Now all I need is the information on how to order it since it's not the one listed on the Mopar site as that one connects to the lights not that connector.

You are correct in that the trailer tow harness will not have power to it until a reconfiguration is done after adding the correct sales code, which they have done. It is possible that their WiTech system was down while you were there - ours has gone offline from time to time - but it affects all cars which use the system, not a particular body style.

Thanks, @Journeyman425. Yesterday I was assured (once again) that the problem was not with their system, as three other cars were able to connect. Anywho, dropped her off last night and should be receiving a phone call today. Will update.

Ok guys there is a lot of bashing with out having all the information. First and foremost the first thing done Saturday when they arrived was to add trailer tow to the vehicle build options list, waited approx 15 minutes to then tried to reconfigure vehicle. This is where the problems start. The vehicle will not log into Dealer connect to validate the vin, so no flash information is displayed. However every other aspect of the wi-Tech system works. Anybody that has worked on cars knows how a simple project can go horrendously wrong fast, so yes they have been prepped that if something has gone wrong either in hitch or wiring to cause issue they will be responsible for repair.

3C4PDDGG1ET262388.pdf

• Official Dodge Support

Ok guys there is a lot of bashing with out having all the information. First and foremost the first thing done Saturday when they arrived was to add trailer tow to the vehicle build options list, waited approx 15 minutes to then tried to reconfigure vehicle. This is where the problems start. The vehicle will not log into Dealer connect to validate the vin, so no flash information is displayed. However every other aspect of the wi-Tech system works. Anybody that has worked on cars knows how a simple project can go horrendously wrong fast, so yes they have been prepped that if something has gone wrong either in hitch or wiring to cause issue they will be responsible for repair.

Are you from the dealer?

Unless our course the problem is on the dealers or manufactures end. If there is nothing wrote with the vehicle it would not be ethical to charge them more than the basic installation. From my point of view ANY flashing issues are the dealers and manufacture problem, not the customer.

Unless our course the problem is on the dealers or manufactures end. If there is nothing wrote with the vehicle it would not be ethical to charge them more than the basic installation. From my point of view ANY flashing issues are the dealers and manufacture problem, not the customer.

Timon rest assured that if there is a issue with the vehicle it will be covered by Chrysler Group LLC per the warranty, we do not skirt around and try to get out of our responsibilities. However programming the vehicle to accept something YOU added is a different issue and at times there is a charge for this service. So stop trying to be a Cyber bully, give these people useful help in getting their vehicle repaired or just quietly read the posts.

Glad that it is being resolved. Smitty, thank you for coming to the forum to clarify and present your side. I read your screenshot. Is it possible that WiTech would not connect or initiate a restoration due to battery voltage @ 12.28? You and I have read the flash instructions which warn to prevent voltage from going under 13.2 and not over 13.5 although I've seen plenty of them fly under 13.0. The only thing I can think of regarding VIN validation is that the Crossroad trim level is brand new; has your system been updated since its release? Curious to know what resolves this issue.

Wow, that unexpectedly escalated.

Dealership is taking care of the issue.

No you just panicked and ran to the internet before it played out and then listened to a group of people that had no idea as to what was truly going on and let them scare you into thinking the worse. Truth was that we were working on this issue before you even arrived back Monday night to try and resolve it today. But unfortunately that did not work out as planned. These Forums can be a great source of information and at the same time full of trolls just looking to cause trouble. You should trust your selling Dealer until they truly do something wrong. And most of your stress could have been remedied if Jouneryman425 would have responded and informed you that the coding had already been entered and we had in fact done our job.

And most of your stress could have been remedied if Jouneryman425 would have responded and informed you that the coding had already been entered and we had in fact done our job.

I did, in fact, do just that - this is lifted from my previous post, above:

"Anyway, I checked your sales codes and all the proper ones have been added by the dealership. The lights should work after a restoration."

Glad that it is being resolved. Smitty, thank you for coming to the forum to clarify and present your side. I read your screenshot. Is it possible that WiTech would not connect or initiate a restoration due to battery voltage @ 12.28? You and I have read the flash instructions which warn to prevent voltage from going under 13.2 and not over 13.5 although I've seen plenty of them fly under 13.0. The only thing I can think of regarding VIN validation is that the Crossroad trim level is brand new; has your system been updated since its release? Curious to know what resolves this issue.

This is far deeper of a issue then on our end, out of 8 other 2014's this is the only one that has this issue.This vehicle's vin is seen as invalid in the Tech Connect side thus wi-Tech can not find information on it. I have been in direct contact with multiple DM's, Tech advisors, customer care reps, Dealer connect personal and Star center trying to resolve it. We know were the issue lies, now it is how to quickly repair it. By the way voltage displayed on wi-Tech screen is not always accurate vehicle voltage, voltage is read through the scan tool as a calculated voltage. But that is a different topic.

I did, in fact, do just that - this is lifted from my previous post, above:

"Anyway, I checked your sales codes and all the proper ones have been added by the dealership. The lights should work after a restoration."

Yes just reread that line and somehow missed it earlier. Sorry about that.

It's all good. Believe me, I'm only interested in helping out. Solving problems is my job. Creating new ones does not do anyone any good. You and I are in the business and we hear the horror stories all the time from other stores that are indifferent to customers' needs, or are incompetent, or worse, both - and I truly hate that. If it sounded like I was pointing fingers, then I apologize. What I read initially from the customer was that they took the car in and your WiTech system and/or DealerConnect would not connect at all. My offer was to add the sales codes so that all they had to do was bring it back and just have you restore it. So many places have no idea how to do this (which amazes me), but reading your posts now I see that there is a greater issue at hand. Thank you for clarifying.

• 1 month later...

Were there any fitment issues with the Curt receiver on the crossroad package? For some reason, the Curt website excludes the Crossroad on the screen. I am assuming because the bottom of the rear bumper is different. I was just curious before I order it and then have to send it back ...return shipping would be costly.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13335

Thanks for any replies.