Journey SRT planned for 2016

Found these nuggets from an article about the future plans of Chrysler (now FCA) :

Dodge Journey is to be refocused to be more “Dodge-like,” while Chrysler will handle the mini-minivan aspects of the current Journey with a new mid-sized crossover. The Journey is also getting a turbocharged engine (front wheel drive only), in addition to the base model with front drive or AWD.

As noted earlier, Journey and Dart will be refreshed and refocused in mid-2016 — with SRT versions, set for launch in December 2016 and January 2017, respectively. The refresh is likely to include a new turbocharged four cylinder, the “Hurricane engine” which appears to be a mix of Tiger Shark and Pentastar engines. It may come in two versions, 240 hp standard and higher-power SRT; at the moment, Dart tops out at 184 hp.

Not sure exactly what this means. Is the DJ getting a turbocharged pentastar or a turbocharged 4 cylinder? Time will tell. The DJ is definitely the most under-appreciated vehicle in the Dodge lineup and its cool that the DJ is finally getting some attention payed to it, but I hope the SRT version has significantly more horsepower than the current pentastar version @ 283 hp. The previous 2.4L turbocharged Caliber SRT had only modestly more hp @ around 300. Torque was probably more though.

I think the DJ is already pretty "Dodge-like". Its pretty bad ass for a cross-over/utility vehicle, IMHO.

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll definitely trade for one. Count me in! I hope the new one is not too wacked out! The 200 is elegant, but that styling does not belong on a truck (Dodge refers to the Journey as a truck)!

Edited by dhh3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the Journey needs to be re-styled to some degree and new improvements made for a model to come out in late 2015. Dodge will lose sales if it waits till late 2016. There are a lot of DJ owners waiting for something to happen and we just aren't getting much in way of news. We are simply told to be patient.

does anyone know when the re-design of the 2016 will be coming out?

whether it is the SRT or just the regular model? thx

Barring any delays, 2017 model year, launching in July 2016. SRT version 6 months after that, in January 2017.

I was parked next to one of the fugly Explorers yesterday. Compared to the DJ, it looked to be big and ungainly, while my DJ appeared to be svelte in comparison. Racetrack tail lamps could be easily added, and a more pronounced and mean looking front end. The body size is perfect, and I like the way that the rear wheels are pushed back, so there is little overhang. The SRT could get a hood scoop for forced air induction. The Explorer interior looked cheap in comparison. The Explorer was longer, higher and wider, and from what I read it gets the same or less mpgs than the old body-on-frame edition. With a turbo, you need to keep the revs high in order to get any power; thus the low mpgs. I think that Ford took the wrong route when they switched to Ecoboost.

Back when Ford owned Volvo, the S80 was developed. Ford is using this platform for the Taurus (500), Lincoln MK whatever (sedan), Explorer, Flex and again Lincoln MK (whatever wagon), and the discontinued Mercury Sable (Montego). Makes one wonder!

Edited by dhh3

The soonest we'll see the replacement for the Journey will be NAIAS 2016 - next January. It should be ready to launch mid to late summer 2016 as a 2017 model. The most recent FCA 5-year plan I'm aware of says the SRT version will follow at the tail end of calendar year 2016, beginning of calendar year 2017. Development of the turbocharged 4-cyl engine is well underway and they can borrow technology from the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk to give it the promised AWD, so I don't see there being many roadblocks to adapting the new car to SRT performance standards. I would anticipate Journey-replacement (no word on the name of the new car) SRT models to be in showrooms around February/March 2017 as 2017.5 models.

I'll have mine in Jazz Blue, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a rumor that the new RWD Journey will be renamed Durango. I wouldn't be surprised if the DJ is "discontinued" by scraping the too big Durango and continuing the redesigned Journey under that more popular alias name. We'll see. . .

Peace.

The Durango is built on the Jeep GC chassis, with a longer wheelbase to allow for third row seating. This process is what Jeep will use to make the new Grand Wagoneer. I can't see FCA offering two vehicles so similar; except that the Grand Wagoneer is planned to compete with Land Rovers, Mercedes GLs, and BMWs. So, the Durango could still be around,in its present size, because it is made to compete with the GM triplets: Acadia, Chevy, and Buick whatevers! These went a whole lot longer without any changes except for their grills and tail lights.